Cockroaches give me the willies, but how frightfully cute are these little guys?
This past weekend I spent Sunday afternoon in the kitchen dipping pecans in dark chocolate and decorating these bugs. It was a blast. I literally couldn’t keep from smiling the whole time.
I can’t take full credit for this idea because my boss actually told me how to make the cockroaches. She’s a genius! The best part is that these roaches with their pecan bodies and dark chocolate coating are better for you than your average piece of Halloween candy. So eat up. 🙂
Creepy Chocolate Cockroach Treats
- Parchment paper
- 30 pecans halves
- 4-5 squares of dark chocolate (I used Ghirardelli 72% Twilight Delight)
- Chocolate Sprinkles
- Round Halloween colored sprinkles (white, orange, purple)
- Pour about ½ cup or so of chocolate sprinkles and ¼ cup of colored sprinkles into two separate, shallow bowls.
- Chop dark chocolate into small, even pieces. Melt chocolate in the microwave or a double boiler until smooth.
- Submerge pecan halves in melted chocolate and move around until the pecan is covered.
- Remove the pecan from the chocolate allowing access chocolate to drip off. Dip each pecan, flat side down into the chocolate sprinkles to make little cockroach legs.
- Place pecan on parchment paper sprinkle side down.
- Continue the same technique for all the pecans, then drop two small round colored sprinkles to the smaller end of all the pecans to make eyes.
- Let the pecans sit for a few hours so the chocolate can set, remove from parchment paper and store in an airtight container until ready to serve.
I had some leftover dark chocolate and sprinkles so I decorated the broken pecan pieces and a few almonds as well. Plating the cockroaches with the almonds and candy corn made for a cute spread - perfect for the dessert/snack table at a Halloween party!
If you need more Halloween food ideas, here are a few I that have caught my eye over the past few days:
- Meringue Ghosts
- Spooky yet Healthy Halloween Snacks
- Bandaid Snacks
- Halloween Sweet Treats – the owls are my favorite