Make these healthy creepy chocolate cockroach treats for your next Halloween party. Made with pecans and dark chocolate, these easy-to-make treats are fun and festive. Vegan and gluten-free.
- parchment paper
- 30 pecans halves
- 4–5 squares of dark chocolate (I used Ghirardelli 72% Twilight Delight)
- chocolate sprinkles
- round Halloween colored sprinkles (white, orange, purple)
- Pour about 1/2 cup or so of chocolate sprinkles and 1/4 cup of colored sprinkles into two separate, shallow bowls.
- Chop dark chocolate into small, even pieces. Melt chocolate in the microwave or a double boiler until smooth.
- Submerge pecan halves in melted chocolate and move around until the pecan is covered.
- Remove the pecan from the chocolate allowing access chocolate to drip off. Dip each pecan, flat side down into the chocolate sprinkles to make little cockroach legs.
- Place pecan on parchment paper sprinkle side down.
- Continue the same technique for all the pecans, then drop two small round colored sprinkles to the smaller end of all the pecans to make eyes.
- Let the pecans sit for a few hours so the chocolate can set, remove from parchment paper and store in an airtight container until ready to serve.
I used the microwave method by placing chopped chocolate chunks in a microwave safe bowl and heating in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time. After the first 30 seconds, I pulled the bowl out and stirred the chocolate, then put it back in for another 30 seconds. After the second 30 seconds I pulled it out and stirred again until the chocolate was smooth and creamy.
I had some leftover dark chocolate and sprinkles so I decorated the broken pecan pieces and a few almonds as well. Plating the cockroaches with the almonds and candy corn made for a cute spread – perfect for the dessert/snack table at a Halloween party!
- Category: Snacks
- Method: Stove Top / Microwave
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 5 pecan halves / cockroach treats
- Calories: 100
- Sugar: 4g
- Fat: 16g
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 3g