Transform chicken, kale and corn into a delicious chicken casserole that comes together quickly if you prep a few key ingredients ahead of time!
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups cooked fresh corn kernels (or frozen)
- 2 cups shredded lacinato (aka dinosaur) kale
- 4 cups cubed baked chicken (you’ll need 2 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breasts – see notes)
- 1/2 cup avocado oil mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- 6 strips bacon, cooked and sliced or crumbled
- 1 large green onion for garnish
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add the onion, peppers and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 6 minutes, until the vegetables are wilted and slightly browned. This can be done up to 3-4 days in advance. Store in the refrigerator until ready to prep the casserole.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, stir together the precooked onion and bell pepper mixture, corn, kale, chicken, mayo, salt and pepper until combined.
- Transfer the chicken mixture to a 3-quart (9X13) rectangular casserole dish, then top with the cheddar cheese and bacon.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until the cheese is browned and bubbling.
- Meanwhile, slice the green onion and set aside.
- After removing the casserole from the oven, let it cool slightly, then garnish with green onions and serve!
- To bake chicken: preheat oven to 375°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Place about 2 pounds of boneless skinless chicken breast on the lined baking sheet. Brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 40 minutes, until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F and the juices run clean when cut. When cool enough to handle, cut the chicken into 1/2 inch cubes. This can be done in advance, just store in the refrigerator until ready to prep the casserole.
- Category: Lunch/Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipes
- Calories: 439
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 696mg
- Fat: 27g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 17g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 28g
- Cholesterol: 107mg
Keywords: chicken casserole