A delicious and hearty autumn harvest soup with shiitake mushrooms, kale and white beans. The broth has extra flavor from tamari and toasted sesame oil. Vegan + gluten-free.
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 6 cups water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 3 carrots, diced
- 4 cups chopped kale or collard greens
- 2 cups cooked cannellini beans
- 1/4 cup mirin
- Splash of tamari
- Splash of apple cider vinegar
- 4–5 dashes toasted sesame oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Place dried mushrooms in medium pot with 6 cups water. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- When mushrooms are soft, remove from broth and cut off and discard stems. Dice caps and place back in pot with broth.
- In large pot over medium heat, sauté onion, garlic and ginger in oil 3 minutes. Add carrots and sauté 3 minutes. Add kale or collard greens, beans and mirin and sauté until greens are deep green and tender.
- Pour broth and mushrooms into pot with kale, add tamari and vinegar and simmer 5–7 minutes.
- Season to taste with toasted sesame oil and black pepper and serve.
- Recipe from Clean Food, Revised Edition
- Category: Lunch/Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: autumn soup