This easy and flavorful taco turkey salad is packed with veggies and makes for a healthy weeknight meal.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1/2–1 avocado, chopped into chunks
- 1/2–1 cup fresh fruit-based salsa (I used peach)
- 1 lime
- chopped cilantro, to taste
- hot sauce, to taste
- Toss chopped onions and peppers with 2 teaspoons of olive oil and grill or sauté in a skillet until they reach your desired texture. Once cooked, set aside.
- Brown turkey in a large skillet with a little olive oil. Break meat into smaller pieces as it cooks. Cook for about 6-8 minutes or until the turkey is no longer pink. Add taco seasoning to the pan and stir to combine. If the meat seems too dry, add a little water with the seasoning.
- While the turkey it cooking, prep your salads. Start with a base of romaine lettuce and begin layering the toppings — tomatoes, jalapeño slices, avocado and salad. Squeeze a little lime juice onto each salad and sprinkle on chopped cilantro. Add a few drops of hot sauce if using.