Chocolate Protein Shake
Published Jul 07, 2021, Updated Sep 15, 2023
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
This chocolate protein shake has plenty of chocolate flavor, the perfect texture and loads of protein! And it’s so easy to whip up.
Want to know how to make a protein shake that will be a crowd pleaser?! This is your recipe because who doesn’t love chocolate?! This shake is healthy enough for breakfast but honestly tastes like a good ol’ fashioned milkshake!
For this shake we’re combining chocolate protein powder with cocoa powder for a rich, chocolatey flavor. And I highly recommend topping it with a little coconut whipped cream if you’re looking for more of a treat.
Here’s What You Need
- banana – I recommend using a frozen banana because it will give you that thick and creamy shake texture.
- chocolate protein powder – Since this is a chocolate protein shake, I like using chocolate protein powder. In terms of which protein powder to use, I love use Nuzest protein powder. It’s plant-based, has a short ingredient list and great nutrition facts! Use my code eatingbirdfood for 15% off your order.
- cocoa powder – for an extra chocolate boost. Cacao powder also works.
- milk – I like using an unsweetened vanilla almond milk for this protein shake, but any milk will work. Coconut milk would be great if you want a little coconut flavor with the chocolate. You can even make your own almond milk if you’re feeling fancy.
- chia seeds or flaxseed – adding chia seeds or flaxseed to your shake is totally optional, but does add a little extra protein, fiber and healthy fats.
- coconut whipped cream – optional, but highly recommended!
tip! Add even more protein by adding Greek yogurt and chia seeds or flaxseed.
How to Make a Chocolate Protein Shake Taste Better?
If you’re used to having a protein shake that’s just chocolate protein powder mixed with water, the blended protein shake recipe I’m sharing here is already going to taste much better!
I think the frozen banana really helps make the texture more appealing (and add a little sweetness) and the added cocoa powder gives it more chocolate flavor. That said, here are some tips for making a chocolate protein shake taste better:
- pick a good protein powder: to be perfectly honest, some protein powders taste better than others. Many have a chalky texture or weird aftertaste. Find a protein powder that actually tastes good and your shakes will automatically taste better. I’m a big fan of Nuzest.
- use milk: using milk instead of water will make your protein shake more creamy and make it taste more like an actual milkshake.
- add peanut butter: I personally loving adding a scoop of peanut butter to my protein shakes. It adds more protein and the combo of chocolate and peanut butter is my fave. It reminds me of peanut butter cups!
- add mint: love mint chocolate chip? Try adding 1-2 drops of peppermint extract or 4-5 fresh mint leaves to this shake. Or try my mint chocolate chip smoothie.
My Fave Protein Packed Recipes
- Protein Balls
- Oatmeal Raisin Protein Cookies
- Protein Oatmeal
- Protein Overnight Oats
- Protein Pancakes
- Protein Mug Cake
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Protein Bars
More Protein Shakes to Try
- Banana Protein Shake
- Vanilla Protein Shake
- Peanut Butter Protein Shake
- Vegan Protein Shake
- Coffee Protein Shake
- Strawberry Protein Shake
- Pumpkin Protein Shake
Chocolate Protein Shake
- Add all ingredients into your blender except the whipped cream.
- Blend until smooth. Add a little whipped cream on top (optional) and serve.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.