A delicious copycat recipe for Chipotle’s tofu sofritas that’s loaded with flavor and a hint of spice. It makes a great vegan protein option for homemade burrito bowls!
- 1 medium poblano pepper
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 16 oz package of package of tofu, drained, pressed and chopped into cubes
- 1 large or two small chipotle peppers (canned in adobo sauce)
- 2 Tablespoons extra adobo sauce
- 1/2 small yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoons low sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1/2 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon organic sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 8 cups romaine lettuce
- 2 cups brown rice
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro
- Char poblano pepper by holding it over the flame of a gas range until it’s blistered and warm throughout or broil in the oven. For the oven method, rub a little olive oil over the outside of the pepper and heat on broil for about 15-20 minutes or until the pepper is soft and blistered. Let cool before removing the stem and seeds from the pepper. See photo. You can also remove the skin if you’d like, but I didn’t.
- In a food processor or high powered blender add roasted poblano pepper, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, onion, garlic, tomato paste, tamari, apple cider vinegar, water, sugar and salt. Blend until smooth.
- Meanwhile in a large skillet heat 1 Tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Once hot add tofu cubes and cook until all sides of the tofu are golden brown. You’ll have to keep stirring the tofu throughout for this to happen. Once golden, use your spatula to crumble the tofu into small pieces. You can leave some cubes larger for more texture.
- Pour sauce into the skillet with the tofu and simmer for about 10 minutes, adding an additional 1/4 cup of water if needed for desired consistency. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- To make bowls, add a base of romaine lettuce to each bowl and top with a portion of the tofu sofritas, 1/2 cup brown rice, red onion, cilantro and avocado.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 348
- Sugar: 5g
- Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 46g
- Fiber: 10g
- Protein: 18g
Keywords: tofu sofritas