- 1 cup uncooked quinoa (I love Ancient Harvest)
- 2 cups water or low sodium broth (for cooking quinoa)
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons oat flour (all-purpose will work too)
- 1 cup milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 8 oz block of good quality cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Lightly coat a casserole dish (I used an 8×8 square dish) with non-stick spray or lightly grease.
- Prepare quinoa using water or broth, according to package directions. You should end up with about 3 cups of cooked, fluffy quinoa. Place in a large mixing bowl.
- While quinoa is cooking, steam broccoli for 5-6 minute or until bright green and crisp tender.
- Meanwhile, shred cheese by using a food processor with the shredding attachment or with a handheld grater.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until soft and fragrant, about 7 minutes. Meanwhile in a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together milk, flour and garlic powder. Pour milk mixture into saucepan with the onions and garlic. Allow sauce to simmer, whisking continuously until sauce has thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese until melted.
- Pour cheese sauce over quinoa and broccoli. Toss well to combine.
- Transfer to greased baking dish and top with remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 15 minutes or until the casserole is heated through and cheese has melted. Serve warm.
Adapted from Whole Foods Broccoli, Rice and Cheese Casserole.
- Category: Lunch/Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: about 1 cup
- Calories: 185
- Sugar: 1g
- Fat: 9g
- Carbohydrates: 17g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 10g
Keywords: broccoli quinoa casserole