This BBQ jackfruit looks just like real deal shredded BBQ and it’s loaded with BBQ flavor. Use as a meatless option in your favorite BBQ recipes!
- 1 14 oz can green/unripe jackfruit packed in water
- 2 teaspoons olive or avocado oil
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce (store-bought is fine)*
- Drain jackfruit and break apart pieces by hand until shredded.
- Heat a medium/large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 teaspoons of oil. Once hot, add onion and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Season with a little salt and pepper and stir occasionally so the garlic doesn’t burn.
- While onions and garlic are cooking, combine BBQ spices (paprika, brown sugar, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder and sea salt) in a small bowl.
- Add shredded jackfruit and spices into the skillet. Toss well to combine. Turn heat to low and let jackfruit cook for 1-2 minutes with the spices before adding BBQ sauce. Coat jackfruit in the sauce and cook for another 3-4 minutes, until jackfruit is warm throughout. Serve warm.
*For store-bought BBQ sauce I like Annie’s and Simple Girl.
- Serving Size: 1/2 of recipe
- Calories: 225
- Sodium: 480mg
- Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 39g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 2g
Keywords: BBQ jackfruit, vegan, barbecue, jackfruit