Similar to hot oatmeal or cream of wheat, this creamy, cozy teff porridge is a filling breakfast option and high in protein. Vegan and gluten-free.
- 1 cup whole grain teff
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups Almond Breeze unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin, unrefined coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 banana, sliced (save a few slices for topping)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup crushed or sliced almonds
- maple syrup (optional for drizzling on top)
- Bring a heavy saucepan to medium heat. Add teff, water, almond milk, coconut oil, cinnamon, banana slices and sea salt to the pan. Stir well to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Once boiling, turn the heat to medium-low, cover and cook at a simmer for 15-20 minutes. Make sure you give the mixture a stir from time to time to prevent the teff from sticking. If the mixture gets too thick, you can add more water or almond milk but I didn’t need any extra.
- Once the teff has cooked and the texture is to your liking, portion into bowls. Top each bowl with a sprinkle of almonds, extra banana slices and a drizzle of maple syrup, if desired.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 286
- Sugar: 4g
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 46g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 8g