This blanched asparagus salad features tender asparagus spears combined with red onion and parsley in a light lemon feta dressing.
I’m channeling spring with this super simple asparagus and feta salad. It’s light, fresh and such a perfect side dish.
If you’ve been reading EBF for any amount of time I’m sure you’re well aware that I L-O-V-E salads. I haven’t done a full count, but I’m pretty sure that about 40% of my recipes are salad recipes. The other 60% is divided between oatmeal recipes and everything else. It’s probably a 40/20 split. 😉 I guess we’ll just add this asparagus salad to the list. It’s a good one because you only need 10 ingredients and less than 15 minutes to whip it up!
How to Blanch Asparagus for Salad
The technique we’re using to keep the asparagus looking bright and beautiful in this salad is called blanching. If you’re new to blanching asparagus (or veggies in general), no worries. The process is super simple:
Boil water in a large pot
While water comes to a boil prep a large bowl of water with ice (this is called an ice bath).
Add asparagus spears to boiling water and let cook for 1-2 minutes. Use a slotted spoon or tongs to remove from the boiling water and transfer spears immediately into the ice bath.
Let the asparagus chill in the ice water for a few minutes then remove with the slotted spoon or tongs.
Transfer asparagus to a large plate lined with a clean kitchen towel to dry.
Lemon Feta Dressing
The dressing we’re using for this asparagus salad is a bright lemon feta dressing with a little dijon mustard, honey and olive oil. I’ve actually been making it on the regular for all types of salads, but it pairs ridiculously well with the asparagus, red onion, parsley mixture. You will love it!
If you make this asparagus salad or the lemon feta dressing be sure to leave a comment and star rating below letting me know how it turns out. Your feedback is super helpful for the EBF team and other readers.
Tender blanched asparagus spears combined with red onion and parsley in a light lemon feta dressing.
2 lbs fresh asparagus spears, washed with ends trimmed
1 cup chopped red onion
1/4 cup crumbled feta
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Lemon Feta Dressing
juice from 1/2 lemon
1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
3 Tablespoons olive oil
2 Tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon honey or maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Chop trimmed asparagus spears into thirds, on the diagonal.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. While water is coming to a boil, prepare an ice bath by filling a large bowl with water and lots of ice.
Blanch asparagus: add spears to boiling water and let cook for 1-2 minutes. Use a slotted spoon or tongs to remove from the boiling water and transfer spears immediately into the ice bath. Let the asparagus chill in the ice water for a few minutes then remove with the slotted spoon or tongs. Transfer asparagus to a large plate lined with a clean kitchen towel to dry.
In the meantime, prepare the rest of the salad by whisking together the dressing ingredients: lemon juice, dijon mustard, olive oil, feta, garlic, honey, pepper and sea salt.
Grab a large bowl and gently toss together blanched asparagus spears, red onion, parsley and dressing. Serve salad with 1/4 cup feta on top.
Serving Size:1/4 of recipe
Keywords: asparagus salad
Make a Meal by Pairing This Asparagus Salad With These Recipes: