This healthy carrot and parsnip soup is both earthy and (a tad) sweet in flavor. Not only is it delicious, but it packs a punch of protein from the quinoa, and is full of fiber, too! Vegetarian and gluten-free.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 lb. carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 lb. parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 5 cups of vegetable broth or water
- 1/3 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 3 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- sprinkle of cayenne pepper
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 Tablespoon miso paste, dissolved in 1 Tablespoon warm water
- sea salt, to taste
- scallions, as garnish
- 1 ounce gruyere cheese (optional)
- In a large stock pot, heat oil on medium heat. Place onion, shallot and garlic into the pot and sauté for about five to seven minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Once the onions are translucent, add the herbs and spices (thyme, sage, cumin, turmeric, cayenne pepper and ground pepper) to the pot and stir.
- Add chopped carrots, parsnip and quinoa to the pot, pour in vegetable broth or water and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cook for about 20-40 minutes until veggies are tender.
- Remove from heat and let stand 3-5 minutes until cooled slightly. Using an immersion blender, blend the contents of the pot until a smooth even consistency is reached. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can blend the soup in your blender in small batches.
- Dissolve miso in warm water and stir it into the soup. Miso gives the soup a wonderful flavor, but if you don’t have miso, simply season the soup with a little sea salt.
- Serve immediately garnished with scallions and shredded gruyere cheese and enjoy!
- Category: Soups
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 266
- Sugar: 16g
- Sodium: 1800mg
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 44g
- Fiber: 9g
- Protein: 9g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
Keywords: carrot parsnip soup