Healthy turkey zucchini boats that consist of 5 ingredients? Is this real life? Yes, yes it is. This dinner is comforting and so simple to make. Low-carb, paleo-friendly and gluten-free.
- 2 medium zucchini squash
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 lb ground lean turkey
- 1 1/2 cup prepared marinara sauce (look for one without added sugar)
- 2–3 Tablespoons parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and ground turkey into the skillet. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, breaking apart with a wooden spoon or spatula while it cooks. Add the marinara sauce. Cook 2-3 minutes additional minutes.
- Meanwhile, as the turkey cooks cut the zucchini in half, lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop the seeds and center out of each zucchini half, leaving about ¼ inch thick zucchini boat.
- Place the zucchini (cut-side up) in a 9X13 baking dish. Spoon the turkey mixture into the four zucchini boats. Sprinkle each boat with a little parmesan cheese. Cover the baking dish with foil. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until boats are heated throughout and cheese has melted.
- Calories: 437
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 324mg
- Fat: 18g
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 54g