Hi there! I hope your Sunday is going well. I’m in such a happy mood because the weather has been absolutely beautiful here this weekend— the sun is out, the birds are chirping and flowers are popping up everywhere. Spring has sprung!
Back in February I mentioned posting more workouts here on EBF in 2015 and shared a quick ab workout featuring some of my favorite core exercises. Everyone seemed to really enjoy it so today I’m at it again, this time with a lower-body workout — fully equipped with better photos for ya!! I’m so excited to be working with a professional photographer (thank you Marshie!). Isaac was a good sport and really helpful whenever I asked him to take pictures for me, but I think he’s just as happy as I am about the change.
This workout is short, sweet and perfect for getting your legs fired up. Start with a five minute run to warm up, then complete the five-exercise circuit three times through. Your heart will be racing, your legs will be burning and before you know it, you’ll be done.
Just like with the 10 minute ab burner, you can do this workout absolutely anywhere because don’t need any equipment! A pair of sneakers would probably be good (especially for the warm-up jog), but you’ll be using your bodyweight so no weights are required.
So far I’ve been focused on workouts that require little to no equipment because I want them to be accessible to everyone. That said, please make this workout your own and modify it to meet your level of fitness and needs. Got weights and want a challenge? By all means, use them!
- Walking Lunge — Stand with feet shoulder width apart. Place hands on hips and step forward with one leg, flexing the knees to drop your hips. Descend until your back knee nearly touches the ground. Keep your posture upright and don’t let your front knee go past your front foot. Drive through the heal of your front foot and extend both knees to raise yourself back up. Step forward with your rear foot, repeating the lunge movement with the opposite leg. (20 reps // 10 with each leg)
- Squat — Stand with feet shoulder width apart. Extend arms out so that they are parallel with the ground. Flex your knees and hips while sitting back with your hips as if you were going to sit in a chair. Keep your chest and shoulders upright and back straight. Go as far down as your flexibility allows. Reverse the motion, driving your weight through your heels until you return to the starting position. (15 reps)
- Hip Raise — Lie on your back on the floor with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Place your arms down by your sides or out at a 45-degree angle. Engage your core and squeeze your gluten while raising your hips so your body forms a straight line from your shoulders to your knees. Hold at the top for 5 counts before lowering your body back to the starting position. (20 reps)
- Burpee — Stand with feet shoulder width apart and arms down by your side. Lower into a squat position with your hands flat on the floor in front of you. Step or hop both legs backwards so that you are in a high push-up position. Lower your chest to the floor and push back up (optional). Step or thrust both feet forward so you are back in a squat position. Jump up and return to the staring position. (10 reps)
- Sumo Squat — Stand with feet a bit wider than your hips, feet turned out slightly. Place arms in a prayer position. Flex your knees and hips while sitting back with your hips as if you were going to sit in a chair. Keep your chest and shoulders upright and back straight. Go as far down as your flexibility allows. Reverse the motion, driving your weight through your heels until you return to the starting position. (15 reps)
Be sure to let me know if you try the workout by commenting here or tagging me on social media (@eatingbirdfood). I’m so pumped to hear what you think.
Happy Sunday Funday!