- 2 cups sugar (I used turbinado)
- 1 cup of unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 cup oil
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 2 cups flour (I used unbleached all purpose, because I was scurred to use Whole-Wheat, but I would like to try it again with the wheat)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped finely
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 a stick) of butter, softened
- 1 8oz package of cream cheese, softened (I used the 1/3 less fat)
- 1 lb box of powered sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- walnuts, chopped finely (if desired)
Preheat the ov to 350 degrees
To prepare the cake – Mix the sugar, apple sauce, oil, and eggs. Slowly mix the dry ingredients in with the egg mixture. Lastly add the carrots and nuts. Pour in 9″ x 12″ pan (buttered or sprayed with oil and floured) and bake at 350 for about 40 mins. or until toothpick come out clean with inserted in the middle of the cake. Let it cool 1-2 hours.
Wait for the cake to cool for a good amount of time and then make the frosting: – Let the butter and cream cheese soften. Then cream them together and add 1 lb box of powdered sugar and 2 teaspoons of vanilla. After mixing for a while the consistency will be creamy and spreadable. Add nuts if desired. Lastly, ice the cake!
I’m definietly not saying that this the most healthy carrot cake in the world, but I am saying that is delicious- so enjoy!