Hi there friends! In light of the Super Bowl this weekend I decided to reshoot one of my favorite guacamole recipes and re-share it. It’s a lighter guacamole with a secret ingredient — frozen peas. I know what you’re thinking — peas in guacamole, what?!? But don’t worry no one will be able to detect the fact that you used peas in place of some of the avocado. It tastes just as good as the real deal, maybe even better.
In my mind, there’s nothing unhealthy about regular guacamole. Avocado is a healthy fat. That said, using frozen peas in place of a couple extra avocados makes this guacamole lower in calories and fat per serving. Which basically means you can eat more. As a volume eater this makes me a happy camper.
I can’t take credit for this idea. The original recipe is actually from Rancho La Puerta, a resort and spa in Baja, California that I visited last year. The first time I posted about this guacamole recipe was way back in 2010 — long before I stayed at the resort.
During my stay last year I had so much amazing food and I was quickly reminded how epic their guacamole is.
And blue, hand-painted serving bowl you see in some of today’s photos, it was actually a gift from the resort during my stay! So it’s all come full circle. Just another example of “ranch magic.” <— Alice, that’s for you! 🙂
I know some of you may be nervous to add frozen peas to your guacamole, but you have to trust me on this one. I don’t play around when it comes to guac and this version is delicious. As an added bonus, the peas keep the guacamole looking extra green since they don’t turn brown like avocados do.
My recommendation — try the recipe for yourself this weekend and let me know how you like it. If you’re making it for a Super Bowl party, I highly recommend doubling the recipe. It will go quick!
Oh, and if you’re looking for a fun chip to serve with the guac, I served mine with these high protein quinoa chips that I found at Whole Foods.
- 1 cup frozen peas, slightly thawed
- 1 medium avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
- juice from 1 lime
- ½ cup grape tomatoes, cut into ¼ -inch dice
- ½ cup red onion, cut into ⅛-inch dice
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1-2 cloves minced fresh garlic
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Place peas in the bowl of a food processor or mini chopper and pulse until the peas are smooth.
- Transfer peas into a medium bowl and add lime juice, tomato, onion, jalapeño, garlic, salt, and black pepper. Stir everything together with a fork.
- Add avocado chunks to the bowl and mix well, mashing the avocado as you stir.
- Serve with an assortment of raw vegetables and tortilla chips.
Watching the Super Bowl this weekend? Are you excited for the game or just for the game day snacks? I’m all about the snacks. 😉