I’ve been seeing a bunch of 2 ingredient cookies around the web recently and finally decided to try my hand at making a version of my own. I worked really hard to keep the ingredient list short and sweet but I had to add a few things — just like seven or so, no big deal.
And oh well, because they’re good!
Plus, it’s a recipe that allows you to have cookies for breakfast — that counts for something, right? Surely it does…
Anyhow, these cookies are made without any added sugar, no dairy or eggs and they can easily be made gluten-free if you make sure to purchase gluten-free oats. They’re also packed with hearty and healthy ingredients that will keep you feeling full all morning. Chia seeds, oats, almond butter, coconut, dates… basically every ingredient in these cookies is healthy. They’re flourless so the texture is bit more chewy and similar to baked oatmeal. Hence, the reason I’m calling them breakfast cookies.
I’ve been eating them for breakfast and as a snack — they’re perfect for either situation and would be great to make for a brunch as well. If you’re making them strictly for breakfast and would like to cut out the chocolate, that’s cool. But I will admit, it’s pretty fun having chocolate for breakfast. Try it!
- 1½ Tablespoons chia seeds
- ¼ cup Almond Breeze unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- ¾ cup old fashioned oats
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¼ cup chopped dates
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chunks or carob chips
- 1 Tablespoon creamy almond butter
- large pinch of cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a small bowl, stir together the chia seeds and almond milk and let the mixture sit for about 10 minutes, or until the chia seeds have created a nice gel-like consistency.
- Pour the chia seed gel into a medium sized mixing bowl and add in the mashed bananas, oats, coconut, almond butter and cinnamon until well combined.
- Gently stir in the dates and chocolate chunks.
- Scoop out dough (about 1-2 tablespoons worth) onto a baking stone or a greased cookie sheet and use a fork to press the dough down a little to make more of a cookie shape. You should get about 15 cookies.
- Place in oven and bake for 17-20 minutes, or until the bottom of the cookies have browned a tiny bit.
- Take them out, let cool and enjoy.
Now go pre-heat your oven and whip up a batch for tomorrow’s breakfast. 🙂