Protein Packed Strawberries & Cream

by on April 11, 2013

I go through phases with cottage cheese. Some weeks I can’t get enough of it and others it just sits in the fridge. Here recently I’ve been loving it — especially since I found a semi-new way to prepare it.

The reason I say semi-new is because it starts off pretty standard with cottage and strawberries, but I add a little twist by pouring some almond milk over it, adding a pinch of cinnamon, splash of vanilla and a little stevia to make it sweeter.

Protein Packed Strawberries & Cream

I think I actually came up with the idea when I wanted cereal for a snack but decided I needed something with more protein. So… I turned my cottage cheese snack into a bowl of cereal. It might seem a little crazy, but trust me when I say, don’t knock it until you try it. It’s actually really good. Adding the almond milk also helps to make sure the stevia, cinnamon and vanilla actually distribute evenly throughout the mixture. I’ve added those things to plain cottage cheese before and it seems like the flavor gets trapped in certain areas and you get bites that are super flavorful and unappetizing.

Protein Packed Strawberries & Cream

I’ll note that I have tried blending all the ingredients to make a smoother texture… but I wasn’t a huge fan. I ate it, but it wasn’t nearly as tasty as the original version with chunks of strawberries. It also seemed less like cereal, which defeated the whole point of this snack. :) I’m sure there are some other good variations though, maybe adding a little cocoa powder or a different type of fruit. I’m sure blueberries, raspberries or blackberries would be awesome!

3.0 from 2 reviews

Protein Packed Strawberries & Cream

Prep time
Total time

Serves: 1
Ingredients
  • ½ cup Friendship cottage cheese, no salt added
  • ¼ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • ¼ teaspoon vanilla
  • 4-5 drops of liquid stevia (or other choice of sweetener)
  • 2 strawberries, sliced
  • pinch of cinnamon
Instructions
  1. Place all ingredients in a bowl, stir to combine and enjoy!

Here’s the Friendship Cottage Cheese with No Salt Added that I refer to in the recipe. I LOVE it! It only has  60 mg of sodium for a 1/2 cup serving, which is super low considering regular cottage cheese has upwards of 360 – 375 mg.

Friendship Cottage Cheese No Salt

I like Friendship’s Whipped Cottage Cheese as well, but don’t buy it as often because they don’t have a no salt version. At least not yet. :)

Protein Packed Strawberries and Cream

This is definitely my go-to snack at the moment. I’ve been eating it at least 4-5 times a week. It’s sweet, but doesn’t have a ton of sugar since I use stevia and vanilla to sweeten it. Plus it’s packed with protein (16 grams) and only around 125 calories. You can’t beat that!

Protein Packed Strawberries and Cream

Alright friends, I’m off to enjoy the beautiful weather we’re having work. Have a lovely day.

Do you like cottage cheese?

DessertForTwo April 11, 2013 at 8:35 am

Yum! My husband would love this. Thanks for a great lunch snack idea :)

Becky @ Olives n Wine April 11, 2013 at 9:26 am

Wow, this looks incredible and perfect for spring! I have eaten peaches with cottage cheese before but never strawberries – I love the combination of ingredients for a sweet and healthy snack :)

Rebecca King April 11, 2013 at 9:37 am

I’m not sure I’m all in with this one.

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables April 11, 2013 at 10:01 am

Haha Kate and I were just talking about cottage cheese! She loves it and I hate it! I try it again every few months and I just can’t get into it! However, I LOVE greek yogurt, so I’m thinking I’ll try this with greek yogurt instead of C-cheese! :)

Heather @ Fit Mama Real Food April 11, 2013 at 10:15 am

Sounds yummy! I only like cottage cheese mixed with things. Strawberries are awesome, or in with savory foods.

Lauren April 11, 2013 at 10:46 am

I make this (sort of) all the time but without the milk. I imagine the milk makes it creamier and I love the idea! Cottage cheese rocks my world! :)

Katie @ Live Half Full April 11, 2013 at 11:33 am

What a good idea. I’m going to have to try this!

I personally love cottage cheese with pineapple. YUM!

Deb @ Dietitian Debbie Dishes April 11, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Mmm… this looks so good! I have gotten in the habit of always reaching for yogurt when shopping, I forget about cottage cheese! As a vegetarian, I am always looking for good sources of tasty protein in my life. :-)

Melissa April 11, 2013 at 1:42 pm

I’ve blended cottage cheese to make protein pancakes, but I haven’t been brave enough to try it plain yet. This looks like a good way to start!

Natalie April 11, 2013 at 8:49 pm

This was sooooooo good! I made mine with blackberries the first time and after eating it realized I forgot the cinnamon….I was a bit disappointed that I forgot the cinnamon so I made a second helping! :). This time, I remembered the cinnamon and added one more package of no calorie sweetener (2 packages total) and it tasted like dessert! Kinda like tapioca pudding!! I really glad I tried this recipe and am looking forward to having more tomorrow! Thank you! :)

Crystal April 11, 2013 at 9:37 pm

I am either really on or really off with cottage cheese. I like to mix in cocoa powder, peanut butter, and stevia. Will definitely try your mix!

Marianne April 12, 2013 at 2:46 am

I’m the same as you when it comes to cottage cheese – I go through phases where I love it, then other times it goes bad before I even have the desire to eat it. Have you tried mixing your cottage cheese with yogurt? I like that too as a way to mix things up.

Sarah (The Simple Dietitian) April 12, 2013 at 1:30 pm

I go through on/off spurts with cottage cheese too…this seems like a good way to bring it back into my life though. Can’t wait to try it. :D

Sara @ sarasmiles April 13, 2013 at 7:41 am

I do looove cottage cheese, especially in the morning on a warm day. Unfortunately, I’ve had to give it up along with greek yogurt (ugh) because I’ve realized eating that kind of dairy is bad for my skin. Looks so tasty though!

Aryn April 13, 2013 at 9:37 am

This is delicious!! Made it this morning with raspberries and strawberries, it is definitely a new favourite :)

Beth @ Mangoes and Miles April 13, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Can you actually taste the cottage cheese? I’m trying to incorporate a little bit more of in my diet (non-meat sources of protein yay!) but unless it’s masked it’s hard for me to eat any more than like…a bite.

Leslie J. April 15, 2013 at 7:10 am

Looks really tasty & simple to cook! I’m going to try it right now! This is exactly what I’m looking for my spring diet plan!!!

Ani Danelz April 16, 2013 at 10:47 pm

I absolutely love cottage cheese! It is my go-to snack in the afternoons. Just add a small handful or raw almonds, a chopped apple, and a few dashes of cinnamon and voila. Yummy, healthy, and filling!

Wendy April 17, 2013 at 12:54 am

Hi Brittany,

I just wanted to tell you that I’ve just discovered your webpage tonight and have really enjoyed your articles. You have alot of interesting advice, workout routines, recipes and just general life things. I like the way you write and also enjoy your sharing of your wedding plans, photos and all.

thanks for this, I look forward to ‘visiting’ again.
take care,
Wendy

Mikky April 19, 2013 at 4:12 am

Sound delicious and Healthy. This was really a nice idea and easy to make. I should try this. :)