Reaching My Goals in 2013 – Update

by on March 18, 2013

Hey friends! It seems like forever since I’ve updated you all on my workouts so I figured I would take some time to do that today.

If you follow me through Twitter, Facebook or Instagram, you probably already kind of know what I’ve been up to but I’ll go into a little more detail here.

After getting advice from Moni about how to reach my 2013 goal of looking and feeling amazing in my wedding dress, I worked out on my own for about a month. It was going fine, but I was babying my knee a little bit and back with my same routine of working out every day but not really pushing myself or being consistent with the types of workouts I was doing. I really wanted to give it all I got (change requires change, right?) so I reached out to my Twitter friends for advice on a good personal trainer and before I knew it, I was training with Julia of FIT Richmond.

FIT Richmond

I meet with Julia two days a week and also take some of the group fitness classes they offer at the gym. She has me doing short cardio bursts with strength training mixed in — bodyweight exercises, weights and even some exercises with TRX equipment. She’s always switching up the type of workout that I do and really pushes me to go further than what I would do on my own. She also makes sure I’m doing things with proper form so I don’t injure myself, which is really important to me after my knee injury.

I’ve found that I’m normally pretty motivated to get to the gym or put my sneakers on for a run but having someone that’s checking in with me and keeping me accountable by asking what my other workouts are for the week and what I’m eating has been super helpful. I’m still struggling with perfecting my eating (I’m a snacker and love carbs) but it’s a work in progress.

On the days I don’t have personal training sessions I’ve been taking the group classes at FIT Richmond, doing cardio at the gym, running outside or taking Barre classes (more on that in a sec). The new “Something Blue” Cardio routine from the Tone It Up girls has been my go-to cardio as of late.

Hrm polar

I even went out and bought new running shoes. Since my knee injury back in November, I haven’t been doing a ton of running but now that I’m adding it back in (slowly but surely) I decided it was time to invest in a new pair. These are just the upgraded model of the Asics I always buy.

I remember the first time I went into Richmond Road Runners and was instructed to buy a certain pair based on how I ran and what I needed out of a shoe. I was like, “Wait a minute, I don’t get to pick which color I want?” haha. I’ve since learned it’s for the best and every time I buy new shoes I just buy the upgraded version of the same shoe because it works.

I was excited because this time around they had a black pair and I’ve never owned black sneakers!

Newasics

I’m so hardcore now.

The other workout that I’ve added in is Barre. I had taken Barre classes before at local studios (Richmond Barre and The Local Barre) and enjoyed it but neither of these locations is super convenient for me. The Barre Boutique recently opened near me and I’m now taking at least one or two classes a week.

If you’ve never heard of Barre, here’s a brief intro: it’s a class that’s typically done at a studio that has a ballet barre. The workout combines pilates, yoga and ballet moves as well as exercises with body weight/light weights. The classes are high energy with fun music and the instructors really push you to feel the burn. You use pretty light weights (see the 1 and 3 lbers in the photo below) so it wouldn’t seem that tough if you’re watching someone do the moves but my body (especially my legs) are always shaking by the end and I’m typically sore in my core and legs after the workouts as well.

Barre workout

So to break it down, this is what a normal week of workouts looks like for me right now:

• Monday – Personal Training session (1 hour)
  • Tuesday – Cardio on my own //  Spin class (30 mins – 1 hour)
  • Wednesday – Personal Training session (1 hour)
  • Thursday – Cardio on my own (30 mins – 1 hour)
  • Friday – Circuit class at FIT Richmond
  • Saturday – Class at FIT Richmond or Cardio on my own (30 mins – 1 hour) or Rest
  • Sunday – Barre class (1 hour)

As for the results I’m seeing, Julia at FIT Richmond weighed and measured me when I started on February 13 and we redid the measurements last week on March 13. I’m up 1.4 pounds overall, but down .5% in body fat and up 1.4 pounds of muscle mass. I’m also down .75 inches in my waist, .25 inches in my abdomen and .25 inches in my thigh. Since I’m not trying to lose weight, just lose fat and look more toned, I’m really happy with the results and can’t wait to see what happens after another 4 weeks!  I’ll be sure to give you all an update. :)

Have a great evening.

kim@hungryhealthygirl March 18, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Great job! I would love to try a Barre type workout, but unfortunately there isn’t one in my area. Keep up the great work!

Brittany Mullins March 18, 2013 at 8:03 pm

If you’re interested in trying Barre, there are some good DVDs out there. You won’t get the class environment but they offer the same type of workouts. I like the Core Fusion DVDs a lot (http://astore.amazon.com/eatbirfoo-20/detail/B001AZI236).

stephanie March 18, 2013 at 9:03 pm

“I’m still struggling with perfecting my eating” <– not something I thought I'd see you write! Isn't the goal "health," not "perfect"? I know weddings can cause a lot of pressure to look and feel "your best," but your posts have seemed a bit driven to perfection as of late. Also, no rest days some weeks?

This is absolutely not meant to hate on the progress you've made or the hard work you've put in (you should feel proud), but more so meant to emphasize that you will look beautiful on your wedding day (and every day before and after it) even if you snack, eat carbs, and miss a workout here or there ;)

Best of luck!

Clare @ Fitting It All In March 18, 2013 at 9:10 pm

congratulations!! up in muscle is what you want – you’re going to look amazing!

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl March 18, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Love your shoes! Black athletic shoes are my favorite. They are badass! ;)

Shel@PeachyPalate March 19, 2013 at 4:15 am

Sounds great! I love mixing up my workouts with classes..the group motivation can’t be beat!

mary @ minutes per mile March 19, 2013 at 5:22 am

I’ve always wanted to try out a personal trainer, but the cost always makes me turn away! Maybe it’s worth it, though…!

Liz @ iheartvegetables March 19, 2013 at 7:45 am

I’m SO excited about the new barre studio in Carytown!!! Let me know next time you go for a class because I’d love to join you!

Emily K. @ Leaf Parade March 19, 2013 at 9:11 am

I finally got fitted for running shoes a few months back and it made ALL the difference for my runners’ knee. Happily, the shoes best for me were a pair of fluorescent Sauconeys in pink + green — and totally crazy. I recently bought a second pair in purple + orange. My knees feel better than ever, and people can see me coming from miles away!

Keep up your great work at the gym! :)

Sara @ sarasmiles March 19, 2013 at 10:20 am

How have I not known about FIT Richmond before? I think doing that before your wedding is the way to go. Good for you for putting on muscle! Barre helped me to gain muscle the most. Did you like the Carytown location?

sweetmaddy March 19, 2013 at 5:20 pm

I’m very impressed with your motivation and dedication and I’m sure you look and feel great! What about rest days? Best of luck!

April March 19, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Hi! I was wondering what heartrate/calorie watch you use? I’m looking for a good one that will stay under my budget. Thanks!

April March 19, 2013 at 8:45 pm

I was also wondering, how much is a personal trainer session at FIT Richmond? Thanks again! You’re going to look gorgeous for your wedding!

Brittany Mullins March 21, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Hey April. Please inquire with FIT Richmond personally because different trainers may cost different amounts. I bought the Seriously Fit package of 24 sessions so that I could take advantage of the best rate per hour.

April March 21, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Thank you. :) could I also ask what heartrate/calories burned watch is in the picture here? Thanks.

Brittany Mullins March 21, 2013 at 9:39 pm

The heart rate monitor I use is the Polar Ft60. I have it in my EBF Amazon Store. :) http://astore.amazon.com/eatbirfoo-20/detail/B001F0PVNA

Court Star @ StarSystemz March 20, 2013 at 1:13 am

I LOVE my barre class! Its such a trend out in LA so they are popping up all over. I am obsessed with Cardio Barre :) So inspiring you that you are reaching your goals I need to get on mine! Love + Shine CourtStar

Ozlem March 20, 2013 at 10:04 am

Hey there can you tell me what the tornado move is? I can not find anything on it. Thanks!

Brittany Mullins March 20, 2013 at 5:37 pm

The tornado is an advanced leg lift, that includes small concentric circles as you slowly raise and lower your legs from 90 deg to the ground. Move slowly and keep your pelvis forward. It’s in the Tone It Up Sun-Kissed Abs workout http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JtC1WLJztnk

Valerie | Pursuit of Sweetness March 21, 2013 at 12:33 pm

I’m pretty far away from getting married; but I hope by the time I do, it’ll be acceptable for brides to “register” for a personal trainer. LOL

Good job on the progress, lady!

Brittany Mullins March 21, 2013 at 8:51 pm

That would be amazing! :)

April March 21, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Hi Britney,
Could I please get an answer to my earlier question about your heartrate/calorie burn watch and the pricing of FIT richmond? I’m really hoping to buy one soon to help me more accurately track my progress but there are so many of them… thanks!

David March 23, 2013 at 11:31 pm

That is an intense routine. Also good to see you focused on what matters, losing the fat. Most people would panic because they look just at the scale not realizing that sometime gaining weight is a good thing.

Jo March 26, 2013 at 6:08 am

Great post.

I do find it hard to stay consistent when working out on my own. I just get bored very quickly. I found it much easier to take part in activities that involve a team or a few friends. It makes it more fun and each of us can support and motivate each other.

I’m happy to see that using a PT is working for you. Keep it up