Holiday Protein Muddy Buddies

by on December 4, 2012

Muddy Buddies, Puppy Chow, Trash – it goes by many names but no matter what you call it — it’s delicious and highly addictive!

Protein puppy chow

It’s also not a health food.

I’m all about indulging, especially around the holidays, but I find it funto make recipes a little healthier so I tweaked the original recipe I grew up with as a kid. This version has less calories and more protein than the traditional blend but it tastes just as good! One 1/2 cup serving has 7 grams of protein, compared to the 3 grams in the regular mix. And if you’re looking for even more protein, you could certainly add more protein powder than powdered sugar. I was making this mix as a gift and didn’t want the protein powder flavor to be too overwhelming so I decided to roll with 1/4 cup.

Protein puppy chow 7

5.0 from 1 reviews
Holiday Protein Muddy Buddies

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Feel free to use regular peanut butter in place of the peanut flour. The m&m's are optional as well, but I love how festive they are!
Serves: 12
Ingredients
Instructions
  1. Into large bowl, measure cereal; set aside.
  2. Pour powered sugar and protein powder into 2-gallon resealable zip-lock bag.
  3. In 1-quart microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips to melt on high 1 minute; stir. Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Stir in powered peanut butter mixture.
  4. Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated.
  5. Add covered cereal mixture into the bag with the powdered sugar and protein powder. Seal bag; shake until well coated. Spread on waxed paper to cool. Make sure you let it cool for a while before putting it in a container, otherwise your mix will get soggy.
  6. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator.

Protein puppy chow 11

Take to your next holiday party or portion into cute containers and give it away as gifts.

Protein Muddy Buddies

Or keep it around the house — but I will warn you, it’s easy to eat a whole batch of it in a day. Not that happened to me or anything.

Protein puppy chow 5

I knew I couldn’t be trusted with a huge batch of this around the house so I packaged up a good portion of the mix to give to John and Sherry. ;)

What’s your favorite holiday baked good?

My favorites = Chocolate Peanut Butter No Bake Cookies (<– the link will take you to my healthy version) and Nanny’s Crescent Cookies. They’re the best!

claire @ live and love to eat December 5, 2012 at 8:20 am

This is one of my favorite Christmas (or anytime) treats – can’t wait to try this version!

Karey @ Nutty About Health December 5, 2012 at 8:35 am

Looks delicious… and addicting!! :)

Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots December 5, 2012 at 9:19 am

I love muddy buddies, this sounds fantastic, love making treats “more healthy”

Gillian @ Money After Graduation December 5, 2012 at 9:20 am

I LOVE puppy chow (that’s what I call this hehe) and this healthy variation sounds yummy!

Elaine @ Cooking to Perfection December 5, 2012 at 9:38 am

Using PB2 is a great idea!! I love using PB2 to get that wonderful peanut butter flavor without all of the fat and calories. Will def use PB2 the next time I make muddy buddies. :)

NYC FIT GIRL December 5, 2012 at 9:50 am

What a cute idea!! Looks delicious!

chocolate-covered katie December 5, 2012 at 9:53 am

Brittany, these look awesome! I’m very impressed by the photos, too. I made a muddy buddy recipe a few months ago and the photos were so bad I never even posted it. Your second-to-last photo is my favorite :) Thanks for including me in your post.

Shannon December 5, 2012 at 10:41 am

when this popped up in my inbox, I thought to myself, “goodness, that girl is a genius! she can make anything healthy!”, then i read it and was even happier that you have guilty pleasures just like me! sometimes you just have to eat junk food!

Brittany Mullins December 5, 2012 at 6:43 pm

So true!! I could definitely make this even healthier but then it wouldn’t be as good and it just wouldn’t be worth it. :)

Emily @ Emily Eats and Runs December 5, 2012 at 10:53 am

Great idea- I love muddy buddies :) My favorite holiday baked goods are pecan bars and peanut butter cookies!

Rachel December 5, 2012 at 10:55 am

This look awesome! My family loves muddy buddies so I’ll def try this out :D and I agree– your pictures look amazing lol my muddy buddies always look a mess lol

jodye @ chocolate and chou fleur December 5, 2012 at 11:29 am

What a fantastic idea to add peanut flour and rice protein to this mix! “Trash” is one of my boyfriend’s favorite childhood treats, but he hasn’t had it in ages. I’ll have to surprise him for the holidays! Thanks for the recipe!

Emily December 5, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Why have I never thought to sub the sugar with protein powder??! That is absolutely genius!

Susannah December 5, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Puppy chow is amazing, I can’t wait to try this healthier version. I do ALSO love its delicious Christmas cousin, Reindeer/Elf Chow:http://christmas.organizedhome.com/crafts/christmas/reindeer-chow-recipe

Not sure you can make that too healthy unless you can magically transform white chocolate and M&Ms into a health food, haha. But I’m all about indulging in my fav. Christmas snacks once a year.

Beth @ Tasty Yummies December 5, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Oh my gosh, I totally forgot about this. My mom used to make this all the time when we were kids. I think we used to call it “white trash” if I remember correctly. Haha!
Such a fun recipe, thanks for sharing!

Brittany Mullins December 5, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Yes! We called is Trash as well. :)

Stephen@HappyHeart December 6, 2012 at 8:13 am

Such a unique idea! A great holiday nibble! Not sure we can get all the ingredients in Ireland but it’s inspiration for creating out own!

Sara @my less serious life December 6, 2012 at 12:43 pm

any idea how many calories per 1/2 cup serving?

meghan January 3, 2013 at 12:22 am

Depending on what kind of chocolate you use ( calculated it using bittersweet chocolate) it will be around 200cal for a 12th of the recipe

Amy December 6, 2012 at 3:14 pm

OMG that stuff is SO good. The first time I ever made it I used a brown grocery bag instead of the ziploc to coat with powdered sugar. Let’s just say there was powdered sugar EVERYWHERE. Those things are not airtight. Totally worth it though. While it’s not technically a “baked good” hot chocolate is definitely a holiday favorite for me. I actually just posted a healthified verson on my blog made with a chocolate almond milk base, dark drinking chocolate, and peppermint chocolate tea.

Great minds think alike :)

P.S. Made your healthy protein powder macaroons on Monday and already finished all of them. So good! Keep the tasty recipes coming.

Amber December 6, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Oh my goodness, I just made this and I totally agree…..this will NOT last long. LOVE how you used protein powder and PB2, genius! The one challenge I had was the chocolate mixture. I could not get it “runny” enough for the life of me. I even added a little water and microwaved it longer….no dice. I ended up with big globs of chocolate throughout, which are quite tasty but mine doesn’t look near as pretty as yours! Any suggestions to get the chocolate/PB mixture thinned out.

Brittany Mullins December 6, 2012 at 10:53 pm

So glad you like them Amber, but I’m sorry the chocolate mixture didn’t get runny enough. I’m assuming it’s because the chocolate didn’t melt properly. I found this article online that might help explain the issue – http://candy.about.com/od/workingwithchocolate/a/meltchocolate.htm Apparently adding water is the worst idea when trying to melt chocolate = :/

K. Sharp December 7, 2012 at 7:30 am

Hey it looks so yummy!!! and easy to prepare at home, thank for the recipe.

Becky @ Olives n Wine December 9, 2012 at 6:14 pm

I love that you made these healthier and added in some protein! What a great idea for the holiday season :) I think my favorite treats this time of year are peanut clusters and peanut butter balls – I have a love for all things peanut butter + chocolate!

Brittany Mullins December 10, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Peanut butter balls will always have a special place in my heart too. :)