This or That

by on September 20, 2012

Hi from Baltimore! I’m here for the weekend attending the Natural Products Expo (Expo East) and FitBloggin’, a conference for health and fitness bloggers. This is my third year attending FitBloggin’ (check out my recaps from 2010 and 2011 here) and I’m super pumped for this year’s conference. Not only am I excited for two days of workouts and informative sessions, I can’t wait to reconnect with old friends and meet new ones. If you happen to be attending either event,  please say hi!! The more people I get to meet, the better. Conferences are all about connecting with others. I love it!

A group of us at FitBloggin’ 2011

Things have been crazy busy this week so unfortunately I don’t have a yummy recipe to share. Last night I saw that Gabby filled out a little “This or That” survey that’s been going around the blog world and decided it would be fun to do. I don’t think I’ve ever done one of these before (besides in an email chain back in high school), but this one is pretty interesting and I thought it would be a good way for new readers (or the new friends I meet this weekend) to get to know me.

So here it goes: This or That

1. Run/workout in the heat & humidity or freezing temps and snow?

I hate being cold so I’d much rather run in the hot and humid weather than be freezing to death. I’m also pretty clumsy when it comes to running (or walking) in ice and snow so I tend to stay inside.

2. Have washboard or flat abs?

Flat abs – this has been a goal of mine for years and I’m still working on it.  Maybe it will happen for the wedding. :)

3. Dr. Oz or the Doctors?

hmmm.. neither.

4. Cardio or strength?

A healthy mix of both.

5. Cravings: Protein or carbs?

Carbs all the way. I am a cereal monster – it’s bad.

6. Jillian Michaels or Bob Harper?

Jillian – I love her workouts.

7. Frozen Yogurt or Ice cream?

Both! I don’t really like cake or cupcakes (well, I take that back because Pearl’s totally converted me) BUT in general I LOVE frozen desserts: ice cream, fro yo, frozen custard, gelato – I like them all.

8. To train: upper body or lower body?

Upper body. I’m determined to do an unassisted pull-up one day.

9. Protein powder or food with protein?

Both. I love protein pancakes and smoothies with protein powder, but I try to limit my consumption of powder to one serving a day. Sometimes it’s fun to make baked goods with protein powder though, for instance these banana carob protein bars rock!

Banana carob protein bars

10. Lunges or squats?

Squats.

11. Sweet or salty?

Both. It totally depends on my mood. I actually love sweet/savory combos (like this breakfast sandwich).

12. Workout attire: cute or comfy?

Both. I like being comfy but I also like to look cute. I love workout leggings/capris so you’ll almost always see me in those instead of running shorts (unless I haven’t done laundry in a while).

13. Body Pump or heavy lifting?

Body pump. I have a small frame and scoliosis so I feel more comfortable using my body weight or lifting manageable weights.

14. Yoga or pilates?

I love them both! Currently I’m into doing pilates on the reformer and hot yoga.

15. Nike or Adidas?

Nike.

16. Running on treadmill or outdoors?

Outdoors if it’s nice out.

17. Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s?

Both. I go to Whole Foods for produce, specialty items and the bulk bins. I go to Trader Joe’s for nuts, dried fruit, condiments (olive oil, dressings, etc.), frozen fruit, Dr. Bronner’s soap and fun snacks (like seaweed snacks and peanut butter filled pretzels).

18. Summer or Winter Olympics?

Summer.

19. Exercise classes or videos?

I like them both for different reasons. Classes are a great way to switch things up and make sure I’m pushing myself and videos are perfect when I don’t have time to drive to the gym to get in a workout. I love doing a 20 minute JCORE video or a quick ToneItUp workout before work.

20. Steamed or roasted veggies?

Roasted. If you know me, you know my motto – everything tastes better roasted. Need some roasting inspiration? Check out my Roasted Zucchini and Summer SquashCracklin’ CauliflowerCrispy Sweet Potato FriesRoasted Root Vegetables or Easy Roasted Broccoli.

Have a lovely Thursday friends!

Coco September 20, 2012 at 11:31 am

Enjoy Baltimore–my hometown and where I live now! Let me know if you have any questions or need recommendations!

Brittany Mullins September 22, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Thank you so much Coco. I’ve been having a blast in Baltimore! We went to Pazo last night for dinner and it was fabulous. Have you been there?

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat September 20, 2012 at 11:36 am

I agree whole heartedly with so many of your answers – fro yo and roasted veggies especially – but not together! ;)

Brittany Mullins September 22, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Totally agree!! :)

Alyssa | Queen of Quinoa September 20, 2012 at 11:44 am

Never heard of JCORE workouts – is this a plan you’ve tried? I tried Jillian Michael’s 30 Day Shred and really enjoyed it, but am always looking for new plans!

Brittany Mullins September 22, 2012 at 2:10 pm

I haven’t been following the full JCORE Body plan, but I love the workouts. I’m planning to do a review of the JCORE workouts soon!

Lauren September 20, 2012 at 12:56 pm

I am so pumped to see you tomorrow!! Stop by the NAG booth (#222) and tell them Lauren sent you. :)

Brittany Mullins September 22, 2012 at 2:11 pm

It was so great to see you last night Lauren. I can’t wait to hear about Farm Aid!!!

Michelle@Peachy Palate September 20, 2012 at 2:55 pm

So jealous of the meet up, would love to attend and meet some of you guys one day!!! :) Totally agree, roasting veggies just makes them taste amazing – as I sit here with my big bowl full of roasted kabocha!

Sara @ sarasmiles September 20, 2012 at 6:30 pm

I was thinking of attending the Natural Products Expo too but can’t get out of town tomorrow. Try and check out Health Warrior-they have a booth there. The company sells chia seeds and chia bars and I just got a job there! I quit my corporate job this week and Istart Monday

Brittany Mullins September 22, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Oh wow!!! I’ve heard of Health Warrior Sara. That’s so awesome!!!

Where will you be working and what are you doing?

Rachel September 21, 2012 at 10:32 am

Have fun!! It looks like it’s going to be a great trip :D

Brittany Mullins September 22, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Thanks Rachel!

Jenn (eating bender) September 21, 2012 at 11:07 am

Have an amazing time in Baltimore! I loved your answers to this survey. I’m with you on pretty much all of them!

Brittany Mullins September 22, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Thanks so much Jenn! :)

Emily September 23, 2012 at 9:17 am

Hi! Just found your blog through Fitnessista and thought I’d say hello! I just started up my blog this past week and have been having so much fun with it. Definitely subscribing to you, and if you don’t mind I’d love to use this survey in a post!

Brittany Mullins September 23, 2012 at 10:07 am

Hi Emily – I’m so glad you found me! I don’t mind if you use the survey at all – I got it from someone else as well. :)

Rumi September 23, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Hi Brittany, I found your blog a couple of hours ago through Jullie (pbfingers), and I can’t stop reading it. I want to attend FitBlogging next year and meet all of you, looks so interesting and I love to connect :) but live in Europe and it is sooo far way, but who knows we may meet :)