The Perfect Bun

by on May 7, 2012

Hi friends. I hope you had a lovely weekend. Here’s a look at mine (through iphone photos)…

protein pancake.JPG

Protein pancakes every morning – made with Sun Warrior’s new Warrior Blend, which is thicker than their classic protein powder. I’ve found I have to add a little almond milk to the protein pancake batter, but it also dissolves much easier and makes for fluffier protein pancakes. I’m a fan!

For this pancake I used 1/4 cup egg whites, 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (Warrior Blend), 1/2 mashed banana, splash of unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1 tsp. chia seeds and a dash of cinnamon.

sock bun.JPG

I perfected the sock bun! Apparently this is an old trick but I never knew about it until seeing it on this blog post. I used an old brown sock that belonged to Isaac and it worked like a charm. I love how full it makes my bun look.

farmers market purchases.JPG

Our favorite farmers market, the South of the James Market, opened this weekend. I had been counting down the weekends until it opened and was so excited that I dragged Isaac there at 8AM on Saturday morning. It was glorious. The weather was perfect and there were so many vendors – even more than last year! We picked up a few things – lots of kale (curly and tuscan), asparagus, Reginald’s Homemade Nana Honey Peanut Butter (OMG- so good!), dried chicken finger treats for Olive (they’re gross looking, but she loves them) and two packages of beef jerky for Isaac.

shopping bags.JPG

A little shopping spree went down on Saturday. Our engagement photos were postponed until this coming Thursday and I started second guessing the dress and belt I bought. I ended up taking it back to Urban and getting another dress. Funny enough I’m still sort of undecided to about what I’m going to wear. Luckily my friend who is a stylist in L.A. is going to come over and help Isaac and I get ready. (Thanks Laurel!!) She also offered to do my makeup, which is amazing because I won’t have to pay for it or be scared to death of having an overdone face in the photos. Laurel knows my style and will be able to make me look natural. I’m so excited that she’s home this week and can help out.

tarte tinted moisturizer.JPG

Speaking of makeup, I read online that mineral makeup (which is what I use on a daily basis) isn’t so great for photos so I went to Ulta and scooped up some Tarte tinted moisturizer and a brush. I have a few other Tarte products, including two different types of eyeliner. Their products are eco-friendly and cruelty free and they work great. I’m already a huge fan of the moisturizer – it offers the perfect amount of coverage.

Oh and I also grabbed a tiny bottle of Benefit’s So Hooked On Carmella perfume. I love vanilla scented fragrances and this one was calling my name.

dirty dishes.JPG

And the above picture is what my sink looked like last night after prepping bean burgers and garlicky kale for the week ahead. Both recipes turned out to be delicious and well worth all the dishes, although I still wish there was some sort of magically dish fairy that washed my dishes for me. It would make cooking even more enjoyable.

Time for me to head into the office. I have some exciting things on the agenda for this week – I’m starting a new bootcamp class tonight, taking engagement photos on Thursday and giving a healthy eating presentation at the YoKid Richmond Challenge on Saturday. Whew! I also plan to have a few fun posts for you all. Be on the lookout for those. Happy Monday!

Taryn @ Careeristas May 7, 2012 at 9:45 am

I’ve been wanting to try the sock bun! Looks great on you – I’m going to give it a try this week on my hair. I may also make those pancakes…do you know if the sun warrior protein is also wheat and gluten free?

Eating Bird Food May 7, 2012 at 9:52 am

Hi Taryn – Sun Warrior’s Warrior Blend contains no animal products, dairy, egg, gluten, soy, added sugar, wheat, or yeast. It’s awesome!

Jenna May 7, 2012 at 10:32 am

The Warrior Blend is fabulous! Definitely makes protein shakes extra thick and creamy. Love it! Also, I made your southwest quinoa this weekend and the flavors are SPOT ON. Wonderful recipe!

Sana May 7, 2012 at 10:13 am

I can’t wait to see your pics!

Lena May 7, 2012 at 11:29 am

I made garlicky kale last night, too! It smells so good, I’m not sure if I can wait until lunchtime :)
Good luck with your engagement photos!

Eating Bird Food May 7, 2012 at 11:30 am

I couldn’t wait until lunch and ended up sneaking a few bites while making breakfast this morning. :)

Melissa @ Squatsandsquash May 7, 2012 at 11:30 am

Still working on perfecting the sock bun!! Do you roll the “sock” down into a bun or do you fasten a ponytail holder around the hair and the sock? If that question even makes sense lol!

Eating Bird Food May 7, 2012 at 8:07 pm

You cut the foot out of the sock and roll it down into a sock bun. You put your hair up in a ponytail, put your ponytail through the hole in the sock bun and then wrap your hair around it. Does that make sense? If not, click the link and you’ll see the video. :) http://the-other-emily.blogspot.com/2011/08/perfect-bun.html

Coco May 7, 2012 at 11:31 am

Cute bun–hope the sock was clean ;-)

Eating Bird Food May 7, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Luckily it was! :)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen May 7, 2012 at 11:32 am

I’m incredibly impressed with your sock bun! I tried so many times before I chopped my hair off last week and failed miserably every.single.time. ha. But that’s not saying much, I can’t even braid my hair in a mirror b/c I get all sorts of confused how everything is reverse. Ponytails are about the extent of my talent :)

Eating Bird Food May 7, 2012 at 8:39 pm

I’m the same way with braids – they never work out for me. :/

Jen @ Edible Life in YYC May 7, 2012 at 11:38 am

You just made my Monday with the ‘sock bun’ hair tip. I’m currently ‘rocking’ this new style (thanks to a sock I stole from my husband) and couldn’t be happier.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables May 7, 2012 at 2:48 pm

aww I loved that first dress/belt combo! But I’m sure you will look beautiful in the new outfit too…so awesome that you have someone there to do your make-up! Enjoy the pictures, they are fun. Engagements themselves go by so quickly!

Karen May 7, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Do your prefer the original sunwarrior protein or the new warrior blend for an after workout shake?

Eating Bird Food May 7, 2012 at 8:43 pm

I like the vanilla flavor of either!

Liz @ iheartvegetables May 7, 2012 at 6:43 pm

If you find a dish fairy… can you send them my way?? ;)

If you still wanna borrow that dress (if nothing else, so you have plenty of options) then let me know! I can bring it to Ipanema on Wednesday :)

I bought some of Reginald’s peanut butter too!!! Since I was taking pictures, he asked if I was a blogger. I gave him my card and he’s like “Oh! You’re friends with Brittany, right??” haha :)

Eating Bird Food May 7, 2012 at 8:45 pm

It would be awesome if you could bring the dress on Wednesday. It’s always good to have more options. :)

haha… I wonder how he knew we were friends?!? Which PB did you get?

amy May 7, 2012 at 8:37 pm

how cool is the sock bun?? i have fine hair so my buns look sad haha so this sock bun def helps!!

Eating Bird Food May 7, 2012 at 10:30 pm

I love it! :)

Healthy Living Val May 7, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Wow, so no flour for the pancakes? Just the protein powder? I’ve never heard of that.

Eating Bird Food May 7, 2012 at 10:31 pm

That’s right. The protein powder works like the flour.

Healthy Living Val May 7, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Very cool! I’ll have to try this out.

Stephanie @cookinfanatic May 8, 2012 at 8:09 am

Omg girl you totally perfected the sock bun, it looks absolutely adorable!! Such a perfect look for summer time too :) Love that nana honey pb from Reginalds, can’t wait to hear about the new flavor too!

Kristina May 8, 2012 at 8:41 am

I actually do have a magical dish fairy, and it is my husband, haha. He *loves* washing dishes…apparently he finds it soothing. So I basically never have to do them. It’s a pretty excellent arrangement ;)

Eating Bird Food May 8, 2012 at 9:16 am

Oh my goodness. You are one lucky lady!

Kathy May 8, 2012 at 7:51 pm

I read a previous post of yours about Tone It Up! and was wondering how you liked it? Do you have their nutrition plan? Do you think it’s worth it?

Eating Bird Food May 9, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Hi Kathy. I do have the Tone It Up plan. I really like being part of the TIU team and once you buy, you’re a lifetime member so you get all the updates! Feel free to email me if you have more questions.

Anna @ Blissfully Banana May 11, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Uhm if you EVER find that magical dish fairy send her my way ;)

Sarah @ Eat Live Austin May 12, 2012 at 8:24 pm

I also recently found out about the sock bun! Best idea ever. It makes me feel like a pretty princess or a ballerina. Funny how much joy I get out of putting my hair in a bun…