Home Sweet Home – Healthy Grocery Store Shopping

by on April 16, 2012

Austin was amazing, but it feels so good to be home!

I missed this little lady way too much.

olive.JPG

And after eating every meal out for a week, I was more than ready for a home cooked meal.

IMG_0932.JPG

Last night we had Mediterranean Bean Burgers (recipe from Let Them Eat Vegan), baked white sweet potato rounds, and side salad with homemade balsamic dressing. This meal was simple and delicious, just the way I like it.

Keeping up with my goals for the April Challenge was extremely difficult while in Austin. I managed to get in quite a few good workouts but I had my fair share of creative cocktails and decadent meals.

devil's bowtie.JPG

I was on vacation and it was totally worth it.

IMG_6320.JPG IMG_6292.JPG

But, now it’s time to get back to the challenge! The timing is actually perfect because the Tone It Up Bikini Series also starts today. I’ve been using the TIU nutrition plan for a while and I’m super excited about the new Beach Babe edition they just launched last week. I can’t wait to try out some of the new recipes.

I went to the grocery store yesterday to stock up and got lots of my favorite healthy eating foods:

IMG_6328.JPG

Green veggies galore (spring mix, collards, broccoli, asparagus), egg whites, three grain tempeh, bananas, an avocado, almond milk, greek yogurt, canned salmon.

IMG_6329.JPG

Sweet potatoes, shrimp, tomatoes, a lime, carrots, grapefruit and tamari.

I already have some staples on hand like quinoa, canned beans, frozen edamame, frozen fruit, protein powder, raw cashews and almonds, Luna Bars, etc. so I should be good to go for the week.

Happy Monday!

If you’re following along with the April Challenge, how’s it going for you? Any successes or challenges? Feel free to share them in the comment section. :)

Fox Peterson April 16, 2012 at 8:47 am

ooo shrimp! what a great healthy food! so much nutrients and so much taste!

janeelewis April 16, 2012 at 9:01 am

I used to think that buying bigger was better, Meal planning is key, so look for the items you’d need to create healthy meals, Plan your meals based on what’s on sale and see if you can find samples from “Official Samples” that is even better

Justine @ Life With Cheeseburgers April 16, 2012 at 11:01 am

Isn’t it funny how much you miss good old, healthy homemade food after you’ve been traveling awhile? I was actually in New Orleans with my husband for the past week, and it’s unbelievable how hard it is to find food that isn’t deep-fried there. It’s delicious, but after a couple of days all we wanted was just some fresh fruit!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape April 16, 2012 at 11:11 am

I’ve never heard of white sweet potatoes! Do they taste like the orange variety??

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather April 16, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Yummy loot! Love all the greens. It definitely feels good to eat a home cooked meal after vacations.

Val April 16, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I’ve been traveling this month too so it’s been hard to stay focused on working out especially. But here’s the challenge my friend gave me instead: every day, do something active and something that puts you closer to your greater goal. Yesterday I rode scooters with my niece!

Adrienne J April 16, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Well I went to yoga this morning (at 5:45!) and I’ll be running tomorrow morning too! So far so good this week. Oh and tonight, a big green salad is on the menu for the family. :) I’m hanging in there with ya!

Liz @ IHeartVegetables April 16, 2012 at 10:51 pm

YAY! You’re back!!! (Of course, right now, I’m in NYC…) Do you want to go for a run on Friday morning? I want to hear all about your trip!

Eating Bird Food April 17, 2012 at 8:22 am

I’m definitely up for a run on Friday morning!!

Catherine @ Rabbit Food For My Bunny Teeth April 17, 2012 at 5:42 am

Awesome purchases! You are way better at grocery shopping than I am, I get so out of control!

Sara @my less serious life April 17, 2012 at 7:13 am

love stocking the pantry with health food after an indulgent vacation!

Alex April 17, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Challenges-Being in the middle of student teaching and having little free time/being exhausted and knowing where my cooperating teacher stashes the trail mix!!

Success-Nice weather is getting me out biking and walking more!!