Holy Moley Whole Foods

by on April 11, 2012

Dear Whole Foods Market – Short Pump,

I love you dearly but I have to admit I am going to be a bit sad when I return from Austin, TX. The flagship store on Lamar & 6th is glorious! The store is over 80,000 square feet and has a bulk bin section larger than most produce sections, a plethora of mini-restaurants, a smoothie and juice bar, culinary center, and a salad/hot bar that puts every Whole Foods salad bar I’ve ever seen to shame.

I’ve already been to the store three times and we’ve only been in Austin four nights. To be fair, it’s walking distance from our hotel and one of the visits was for a community boot camp class with Dane’s Body Shop. <– Which, btw was awesome!

The thing that totally takes the cake at this particular Whole Foods…

Kombucha on Tap in Austin.JPG

They have Buddha’s Brew Kombucha on tap! I was so pumped when I saw this sign that I immediately bought a 16 oz. pineapple kombucha. Sooo tasty! If we were driving home instead of flying I would most definitely be buying a growler of kombucha to take home. Alas, that’s not an option. :/ (For those of you thinking what the heck is this stuff – here’s my kombucha love story.)

So, if the Whole Foods gods and goddesses are reading this right now, I have one tiny request. Please add a smoothie and juice bar (that has kombucha on tap) to the Short Pump location. Please and thank you. :)

xoxo

Brittany

Krissy @ Shiawase Life April 11, 2012 at 9:25 am

NICE! I look forward to visiting this one one day, my BF lives in Austin!

P.S.
Short Pump is still awesome bc they have that rotating gelato drum!!

Eating Bird Food April 11, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Very true. I do love the Short Pump store, especially the cooking demos.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen April 11, 2012 at 9:40 am

I’ve been to that one in Austin too, it’s ridiculous (in the best way possible). I don’t even have a whole foods near me at home so you can imagine my envy of those in Austin!

Eating Bird Food April 11, 2012 at 6:43 pm

It probably saves you a lot of money. :)

Nicole April 11, 2012 at 9:44 am

I try and book hotel stays walking distance to WFM whenever possible! Was at Columbus Circle WFM last night. It’ll be tough to go back to the tiny Madison,WI, WFM!

Eating Bird Food April 11, 2012 at 6:44 pm

I do the same thing Nicole. It’s always good to be near a Whole Foods when traveling. I’ve been to the one in Milwaukee – it’s super cute!

holly April 11, 2012 at 10:11 am

when I was in Austin last year, i did not go to the WF and i am deeply, deeply regretting that decision. looks like you are having a great time in Austin! woowoo.

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat April 11, 2012 at 10:46 am

In terms of my budget, the farther I am from Whole Foods, the better.

Xiomara @ parkesdale April 11, 2012 at 11:10 am

I know exactly what you mean! When we lived in South Florida, we were within walking distance to a Whole Foods store. Within a couple of years of the store’s opening, the store doubled in size bringing a sushi bar, bbq bar and cooking classes. Now we live about 40 minutes from the closest Whole Foods store and although I still enjoy going there for their cheeses, meats and seafood, I can’t help but reminisce about “my” old Whole Foods store.

Yadsia @ShopCookMake April 11, 2012 at 11:46 am

I get it, I’m in love with Whole Foods too. Too bad that I live an hour from the nearest location, but I work only 10 minutes from it, so I go once a week to get my ‘goodies’. I’ve never tried Kombucha, my need to pick one up next time. Although, they only have the bottled kind. Is that any good? Is it better fresh?

Eating Bird Food April 11, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Kombucha is really good and good for you as well. It’s said to support digestion, metabolism, immune system, appetite control, weight control, liver function, body alkalinity, anti-aging, cell integrity, and healthy skin & hair.

Fresh tastes great but I like it bottled as well.

Whitney @ Whit Likes Fit April 11, 2012 at 12:02 pm

I’m so jealous. I would love to go check out that store. Whole Foods is one of the companies I’d love to work for (and living in Austin would be awesome) I’m constantly checking out their job page hahah.

Eating Bird Food April 11, 2012 at 6:37 pm

hahaha. I do the same thing. One of the reasons I wanted to visit Austin was to see what it would be like to live here. I would LOVE to work at the Whole Foods HQ as well. :)

christine @ oatmeal in my bowl April 11, 2012 at 12:42 pm

if i lived in austin next to WF… i would be broke. ;)
Glad you had a great time in Austin.

Eating Bird Food April 11, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Me too!!!

lynn @ the actor's diet April 11, 2012 at 1:15 pm

isn’t that whole foods glorious? i went 2x when i was in austin. if you’re still there, make sure to check out mother’s:

Eating Bird Food April 11, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Thanks for this recommendation Lynn. Mother’s is on my list. :)

elise April 11, 2012 at 2:30 pm

gah! youre living my dream right now. im so dead set on getting to austin (for multiple reasons), but i think hitting up that whole foods would really blow my brain.
im pretty spoiled though because i live within walking distance of 4 (FOUR!!) whole foods and driving distance of 15. its kinda silly.
my parents’ whole foods just opened recently and they have kombucha on tap too. so does the one in soho (nyc). needless to say, im pretty jealous.

Eating Bird Food April 11, 2012 at 6:27 pm

You should definitely plan a trip to Austin Elise. It’s a super fun city and I’m sure you’d love it!

And, yes I’d say you are spoiled in the Whole Foods department. :)

Abbie Anderson April 11, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I love your site. You do a great job and love reading your stuff. I”m putting together a huge giveaway in conjunction with a novel about running. I’m hoping your blog would be will to participate. The way it’s set up is hopefully a win win for everyone by promoting our book and increasing your followers at the same time. I’ve emailed you more details. If you don’t receive it please email me at bubcoats@hotmail.com
Thanks!

Patty April 11, 2012 at 6:17 pm

I used to live a short bike ride away from the 3rd largest Whole Foods in the world (75,000 square feet, so a smidge smaller than this one) and it was amazing. Loved, loved, loved that place. Tons of samples and mini restaurants and a burrito bar – the works! Sadly, I do not live near that Chicago location anymore. But, it was lacking kombucha on tap, so I guess I’m not totally missing out ;)

Laura April 11, 2012 at 8:59 pm

my jaw dropped when i saw that picture… i LOVE GT Dave’s chia seed kombucha in grape flavor! i NEED this at my local WF asap!

Linda April 11, 2012 at 9:37 pm

London has the best Whole Foods I have ever shopped in. It was huge, beautiful and full of wonderful culinary delights. I love my little Whole Foods, but long for Londons.

Eating Bird Food April 12, 2012 at 9:53 am

I have never been to the one in London but I’m pretty sure it’s the largest of them all. I need to go there sometime. :)

Alyssa April 11, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Before moving to Austin I went for a visit and took home a jug of the kombucha on the plane in my suitcase! It lasted the plane trip just fine and tasted delicious! The melon and blueberry are my favorite.

Jenn (eating bender) April 12, 2012 at 12:38 am

Haha – I love this open letter to Whole Foods! The fact that they have kombucha on tap is simply amazing. I am so envious! Austin is looking more amazing by the minute. :) Glad you’re having such a great time!

lindsay April 12, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Oh girl, you need to move here so we can share in whole foods love and kombucha together!

Catherine @ Rabbit Food For My Bunny Teeth April 12, 2012 at 5:31 pm

omg I need a Kombucha tap at my house, that is awesome!

Linz @ Itz Linz April 13, 2012 at 3:24 pm

ummm whole foods is amazing!!!

Moni Meals April 13, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Glad you are having such a nice time. Yes, WF’s runs the show! I have not seen this Kombucha station yet, or ever, though, That JUST rocks! Is it only in Austin perhaps?

Have a great weekend.

Lauren @ vegology April 13, 2012 at 10:42 pm

I have always wondered why there is no juice bar at the Whole Foods in Short Pump. I think they really need to add one soon!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers April 15, 2012 at 6:35 am

Ha, that store sounds like a nice little field trip! :)

Terri April 16, 2012 at 1:45 am

We shop at our Whole Foods Market in San Francisco every week. When we lived in Los Angeles, we shopped there. We visited Nashville and they had one! It is nice to travel and find your favorite grocery where you go. We love Trader Joe’s too.

Heather @ For the Love of Kale April 16, 2012 at 5:17 pm

KOMBUCHA ON TAP?! Be still my heart. You must have died and went to heaven!