Time for Romans (At Lewis Ginter)

by on March 1, 2012

As most of you know, Isaac is a Montessori school teacher. He teaches 1st-5th grade, all subjects, all in one classroom. Ever since Isaac shared the news about our engagement with his students via Show & Tell, they have been really excited – particularly the girls. Apparently one of the hot topics is who our flower girl is going to be. Luckily I don’t think we’re having one so we won’t have to choose. ;)

They’ve also had some fun ideas for how Mr. Isaac and I should tie the knot. Most of them involve us getting married at their school. One of them involves a baby piñata <– yeah… we didn’t ask anything more about that one.

Once Isaac told them we had other places in mind, he received this little note…

wedding at school.JPG

How cute is that?

While I’m not sure we’ll be having our rehearsal at his school, I’m now 100% sure where we’ll be having the wedding! After many weekends of touring and countless hours of research, we finally signed the contract for Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden! The funniest part is that Lewis Ginter was the very first place we looked that day after we got engaged and it’s been one of our top choices. We thought it was going to be out of our budget but after realizing that many things were included in the cost (like a tent, chairs, tables, etc) it ended up being a viable option.

It’s not the cheapest place, but also not the most expensive and it’s naturally beautiful, which hopefully means we can spend less on decorations and flowers. We also love the location. It’s close to our house and to many hotel options. Lewis Ginter also has an exclusive caterer, Meriwether Godsey. I’ve read great reviews about the food, which is awesome considering the food is a big deal! And, it’s kind of nice that that we can already cross “choosing a caterer” off the list. ;)

The ceremony will be outdoors in the Grace Arents Garden.

lewis ginter ceremony.jpg source

This charming garden dates back to the era of its owner, Grace Arents. The center sundial, gazebo, and arbors offer romantic ceremony options. During blooming season, the garden features roses, peonies, and a variety of herbs, annuals, perennials, and small shrubs; sculpted juniper topiaries anchor the Victorian garden.

The reception will be at the Bloemendaal House.

wedding at lewis ginter bloemendaal house.jpg source

The top level of the house will be used for the bridal party to get ready and the rental includes formal rooms with fireplaces, cozy side rooms, indoor restrooms and a kitchen, which is where the food will be prepared and served (if we have it buffet style). The main party will happen outside under a tent on a brick patio.

I’ve been googling up a storm looking at photography blogs that have posted photos of weddings at Lewis Ginter. There are a ton out there, but here are a few if you’re interested:

So now that we have the venue, we also have a DATE set – May 11, 2013!!

I’m so excited that some of the big things are falling into place. It seems like it took us forever to choose the venue but I’m really glad we had the time to really explore and look at a bunch of different options before choosing because now we’re 100% certain this one is perfect for us.

As one of Isaac’s students would say, it’s “Time for Romans” (also known as Romance).

IMG_5478.jpg

I absolutely love this – the palm trees, the sunset… looks like a honeymoon scene to me!

Sana March 1, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Gah! Kids are so sweet! And the venue looks so lovely :)

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats March 1, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Those notes are too dang cute! :) Congrats on finding your venue!

Paige @ Healthy Hits the Spot March 1, 2012 at 11:59 pm

Kids are seriously the best! That is why I love being a Nanny/Babysitter. It is so rewarding! So excited for you and Isaac :)

PS, Other blogs that I comment save the comment info (name, email, website, etc..) & yours does not. I just wanted to let you know, because I am sure you don’t comment on your own blog- maybe you are just unaware ;)

Eating Bird Food March 2, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Hey Paige, Thanks for letting me know about that – that’s annoying. I will try to find something to fix it so it’s easier for people to comment!

Paige @ Healthy Hits the Spot March 2, 2012 at 2:40 pm

You are welcome :) I would want to know, so I figured you would too :)

Jess @JessCantCook March 2, 2012 at 12:03 am

I’m so excited for you guys, congratulations on picking a place!!! Meriwether Godsey does do great food, and you really can’t get much more beautiful than Lewis Ginter :)

Lori Nilan March 2, 2012 at 5:53 am

Great choice!! We had our reception in 2005 at the Bloemendaal House and it was perfect. I still have friends and family talking about how yummy the food was! M-G made everything easy and stress-free. Plus there are so many gorgeous spots to take photos. Congratulations!

Eating Bird Food March 2, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Ahhh. That’s so awesome Lori!!! I love hearing that the food was tasty.

Karlee March 2, 2012 at 7:09 am

time for romans hahaha thats so cute!

Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots March 2, 2012 at 8:20 am

little kids are soo flipping cute! I love time “for the romans.” Congrats on picking a venue how exciting!

Avery @ YoungAspirations March 2, 2012 at 8:28 am

Your venue is gorgeous!!! How exciting! Now you’ll be able to finally have a mental picture of what everything looks like and where it will go.. let the daydreaming begin! :)

I went to a Montessori school when I was younger! I have really fond memories there. Those notes are hysterical!

Maria March 2, 2012 at 10:23 am

Oh man, what a relief it is to finally cross “venue” off your list right? You picked a great one!!

Jenn (eating bender) March 2, 2012 at 10:29 am

Isaac’s students are ADORABLE. I love those cards – especially Time for Romans. Amazing!

Congratulations on picking a venue – and a date! May is my absolute favorite month – and I may be biased because my birthday is on the 9th. :) Seriously though, the location looks gorgeous and I can totally picture your wedding there. Can’t wait to hear more details! We definitely need a catch-up phone call soon!

Eating Bird Food March 2, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Thanks so much Jenn! And I agree, a phone catch-up is definitely needed soon. :)

Calla March 2, 2012 at 10:47 am

Hello! I have been reading your blog for a bit now and love it! I’m also a born-and-raised Richmonder (although I live in Farmville now for my job) and am recently engaged. We just checked out Lewis Ginter last weekend and loved it (but it isn’t for us) so congrats on finding your venue!!! When I saw the links to weddings that have been there in the past I knew I had to comment-Kristen (from the link ‘Kristen and Ian’) is my sorority sister from Longwood University!! Anyway, just thought that goes to show you what a small world this is :) Good luck with the rest of your planning!!

Calla

Jasper @ crunchylittlebites March 2, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Brittany! have you done any dress hopping yet?!! I cannot wait to hear about those!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eating Bird Food March 2, 2012 at 7:11 pm

I haven’t done any dress shopping yet (unless you count pinning on Pinterest as dress shopping). I plan to go soon though – so exciting!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat March 2, 2012 at 12:24 pm

What an AMAZING venue!

Megan @ Fiterature March 2, 2012 at 12:49 pm

How cute are those kids!! What a neat thing for your hubby-to-be to share this with his students! Makes him seem like a real person to them.

Your venue is GORGEOUS! Congrats!

Carissa March 2, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Congratulations! Your venue is gorgeous. I remember how freeing it felt to have that all decided. Now on to all of the fun details!

Tiffany March 2, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Ahh! I’m getting married at the Bloemendaal House this October so of course I highly support your decision. Jump in as early as you can and M-G hosts open tastings roughly twice a year (it costs money to do a private tasting) but I went to the one that was held in January and it was fabulous food. I’m doing a buffet style dinner there and opting to rent a second tent due to the month I’m choosing. Have lots of fun planning <3

Eating Bird Food March 2, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Congrats Tiffany – that is awesome! I can’t wait to go to the M-G open tasting! I think we are going to do buffet style and rent a second tent as well. :)

Are you on pinterest or The Knot?

Tiffany March 5, 2012 at 11:00 am

I’m on both! You can find me under flamboer on Pinterest (Tiffany T.) and I am on the Knot but I’m not as active there besides my wedding budgeter and website :) We opted to rent our second tent with lights from Topside after getting lots of quotes and I enjoy letting people have the flexibility of eating however much they want.

Eating Bird Food March 9, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Found you on Pinterest! :)

Thank you for the topside recommendation. I’ll definitely check them out.

LizAshlee March 2, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Kids are the cutest! :)

health.fashion.life March 3, 2012 at 4:56 am

Beautiful venue!!!!!!

stephanie @cookinfanatic March 3, 2012 at 8:55 am

ahhhh “time for romans” hahahhaa i LOVE that pic!!! i am so excited for you two, i think this is the perfecttttttttt location for your wedding, it’s going to be amazing!! sharon also confirmed that the food from that caterer there is very very good, she was so happy to hear that you chose this place too!

Eating Bird Food March 3, 2012 at 9:59 am

Thank you Stephanie! I’m happy to hear that Sharon thinks that MG has very good food too! Yay!

Heather March 10, 2012 at 11:25 pm

It looks beautiful! I am getting excited!!

Eating Bird Food March 10, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Thanks Heather! We’re excited too!! :)

Amanda L. March 15, 2012 at 8:36 am

What a beautiful venue for a wedding! I love that you two will be getting married at Lewis Ginter :-) And hooo boy did I laugh at all of the kid antics in this post. “Time for Romans” is a work of inspired genius!