Egg in a Heart

by on February 9, 2012

February is a fun month around these parts because we have lots to celebrate.

The festivities started yesterday for Isaac’s 28th birthday! Cupcakes were involved.

IMG_0507.JPG

I was going to go all out and make these Ginger Cupcakes but time got away from me and I ended up grabbing a box of cake mix from the store at 8:30PM on Tuesday night. I felt guilty but at least it was an organic mix, right?

I made up for using boxed mix for the cupcakes by waking up early to make Isaac’s favorite breakfast – Egg in a Hole! I’d actually never had this little gem before meeting Isaac (I guess my Dad taught me the microwave egg in a bowl thing instead), however it’s such a great idea. “Grilled” bread with a cooked egg in the middle! Typically the hole in the middle of the bread is a circle that you cut out with a shot glass/round cookie cutter but I decided to make a heart version. <– Perfect for my sweetheart on this b-day. :)

egg in a heart.jpg

Egg in a Heart

This breakfast is perfect for birthdays, anniversaries or Valentine’s Day!

Ingredients

• 1 teaspoon butter
  • 1 slice bread
  • 1 egg

Preparation

1. Using a heart-shaped cookie cutter or a knife, cut a heart shape out of the center of the bread.
  2. In a medium non-stick skillet over medium low heat melt butter. Place both pieces of the bread (heart stencil and cut-out heart) in the skillet. Cook about 2 minutes, or until bread is toasted on one side.
  3. Flip both pieces of bread over and add the egg to the center of the cut-out heart. Cook 2-3 minutes, or until white of egg is cooked, flip bread with egg if needed.
  4. Salt and pepper to taste. Spread heart cut-out with jam or apple butter, if desired.

After work we met up with friends at Mekong, a local Vietnamese restaurant that has the biggest beer selection of any restaurant here in Richmond. Of course Isaac loves this place!

Isaac's birthday 2012.JPG

We ate, drank, talked and ended up at home just in time to watch Modern Family. It was the perfect b-day celebration!

LizAshlee February 9, 2012 at 8:42 am

What a great celebration, super special and low key, my favorite way to celebrate! Have a wonderful day!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat February 9, 2012 at 8:46 am

Happy belated to Isaac! I’ve wanted to try an egg in a hole ever since I saw V for Vendetta.

Jesse (OutToLunchCreations) February 9, 2012 at 8:48 am

I saw the heart shaped egg in a hole on pinterest yesterday and I love it! I’ll have to remember and do it for my boyfriend on Valentines Day because he loves eggs for breakfast.

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon February 9, 2012 at 8:52 am

That is absolutely adorable!!

Kristina February 9, 2012 at 8:59 am

I LOVE Egg in a Hole – it is one of my favorite breakfasts! I usually shred a little bit of cheese over the top, and sprinkle with cajun seasoning, or salt and fresh herbs depending on what I have on hand. So yummy. The heart idea is super cute – I might have to make that for my husband and I as a Valentines Day breakfast :)

Lauren February 9, 2012 at 9:38 am

Knot Hole Eggs or Eggs in a Hole (basket) are Toly’s favorite breakfast too!! Happy Birthday to Isaac! Hope you both enjoyed a wonderful day together. :)

Coco February 9, 2012 at 10:48 am

I’ve never actually tried egg in a hole, but this weekend will be the time to start!!!

Tiff February 9, 2012 at 11:41 am

My now hubby tried to make me an egg in a hole early on in our relationship. The poor guy failed, and he didn’t realize I don’t like fried eggs. Haha. Oh well, at least now he leaves the cooking to me.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers February 9, 2012 at 11:57 am

Adorable!!!

Mary February 9, 2012 at 12:28 pm

This eggs in a hole looks so yummy and sweet. I am defiantly making it, this weekend.

Kim February 9, 2012 at 1:31 pm

My mom used to make those for us all the time! But she called them eggs in a frame. It looks like you had a nice little birthday celebration!

Elle February 9, 2012 at 2:53 pm

I like to do these for my husband occasionally. He loves it!

Jasper @ crunchylittlebites February 9, 2012 at 3:43 pm

you have the same counter-tops as my aunt’s house (where I live) does, I think :D

Eating Bird Food February 10, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Counter top twins!

Jenn (eating bender) February 9, 2012 at 3:45 pm

This is such a sweet way to celebrate, Britt! I love your idea of egg in a heart – definitely going to keep that one for future use. February is such a fun month for you – enjoy every moment! :) Happy belated to Isaac!

Eating Bird Food February 10, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Thank you Jenn! :)

Anna @ Blissfully Banana February 10, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Happy Belated Birthday Issac! That is such a cute way to show how much you love and appreciate him on his Birthday! Love the egg in hole as a heart shape, also your advice onto getting a nice shape [mine never turns out round]! :)

leah February 10, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Happy bday Issac! Britt, do you happen to have that ginger cupcake recipe….?

Eating Bird Food February 10, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Yeah, it’s linked in the post. If you click on ginger cupcakes it will take you to the recipe. :)

Leah February 10, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Oh goodness- sorry! I couldn’t see that on my Kindle.

You know- my husband’s family calls the egg in a piece of toast thing ‘girl scout eggs’. It’s always funny to see alternative names for things. :)

Eating Bird Food February 10, 2012 at 10:39 pm

No problem Leah! If you love ginger, I’m sure you’ll love those cupcakes.

and yes… there are so many different names for this little creation. My roommate in college called them ‘pop-eyes’. I’ve also heard them called ‘egg in a nest’.

Tia @ Veggies and Pearls February 10, 2012 at 10:05 pm

My birthday is Valentines Day, and my mom used to send me heart-shaped PB and J cookies that she cut out with a cookie cutter!

Eating Bird Food February 10, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Ahhh!! We are twins. I’m a v-day baby as well. :)

Tia @ Veggies and Pearls February 13, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Aw that’s amazing! Do you like it or not? I have a feeling I’ll like it a lot more when I actually have a boyfriend… right now I’m not so fond of my birthday!

Eating Bird Food February 13, 2012 at 10:13 pm

I like it, but I didn’t like it in high school because it seemed like every girl at school got flowers and balloons on my b-day. Although I do think you’ll like it when you have a boyfriend or husband because they know they have to make it extra special since it’s valentine’s day AND your birthday. :)

Kelly February 10, 2012 at 10:21 pm

I love egg in a hole, but I haven’t had it in so long! What a cute Valentine’s Day idea!!

Elizabeth Adams February 11, 2012 at 7:05 am

Wow, looks yummy. Will try this out this Valentine’s Day.

Beth @ Running on Cloud Nine February 11, 2012 at 9:40 am

Love egg in the hole! Never thought to use cookie cutter for different shapes, but it is a cute idea.

Happy birthday to Issac and have a great weekend to you both.

Sarah February 11, 2012 at 10:40 pm

absolutely adorable idea, you are clever. happy birthday to you both!!

Eating Bird Food February 13, 2012 at 10:10 pm