30 Minute Walking Workout

by on February 27, 2012

Don’t you just love the sore feeling you get after a good workout? It’s a constant reminder that you worked your muscles hard. No pain no gain, right? Lately I’ve been doing workouts from the LiveFit 12 Week Trainer and that sore feeling seems to be a regular occurrence.

Isaac and I completed Phase 1 of the program together and it went really well. For the first time I was able to get Isaac excited about going to the gym and working out with me. It was fun! But now, instead of moving on to Phase 2 with Isaac I’ve decided I’m going to try out some the workouts from Phase 3.

The main reason I’ve decided to do this is because Phase 3 is about getting lean and incorporates cardio into the training so that you’re torching calories while preserving as much muscle as possible. The other reason is because I want to do other workouts throughout the week like yoga, running, Core Barre classes, etc. So rather than following the program exactly, I’m going to incorporate the Phase 3 workouts in a few times a week and do other workouts as well.

On Saturday I did the Day 58- Back, Biceps and Triceps workout and although it was a bit long (over 1.5 hours), it was a great workout and I’ve been quite sore all weekend – especially my arms and abs. I followed the weight training portion of the workout, but instead of doing running sprints, I decided to switch things up with 30 minutes of walking on the treadmill (I had a magazine I wanted to read and it’s much easier for me to walk and read). But, don’t let the word “walk” fool you, this interval workout still had my heart pumping. According to my heart rate monitor, I burned about 290 calories.

So if you’re in need of some sweaty cardio, give this 30 minute workout a try.

workout gear

Ready? Set? Go!

Throughout the workout you’ll be steadily increasing the incline as you go from the walking speed to power-walking (sprints) every 30 seconds (i.e. For the first 5 minutes you’ll be at a 1% incline and every 30 seconds you’ll switch from the walking speed (say 4.0 MPH) to the sprinting speed (4.5).

Time (in minutes)
Incline Walking Speed Sprinting Speed
1 – 5 1% 3.7 – 4.0 4.5
6 – 10 2% 3.7 – 4.0 4.5
11 – 15 3% 3.7 – 4.0 4.7
16 – 20 3% 3.7 – 4.0 4.7
21 – 25 4% 3.7 – 4.0 5.0
26 – 30 4% 3.7 – 4.0 5.0

Happy walking!

Lauren February 27, 2012 at 7:26 am

I have been loving hardcore walking workouts on the treadmill. Only my 5.0 is definitely a light jog. Maybe our machines are slightly different in speed.

Eating Bird Food February 27, 2012 at 8:31 am

I think they are probably the same as 5.0 could definitely be a light jog. I am basically speed walking at 5.0. It could also be because I have really long legs and walk pretty fast normally. :)

Kim February 27, 2012 at 7:29 am

I love mixing speed walks into my workouts! Sometimes I’m just not feeling a run but once I start that, it usually motivates me into working out even harder.

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes February 27, 2012 at 7:37 am

Love this! Happy Monday :)

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon February 27, 2012 at 7:51 am

I love your thumb hole sweatshirt!!!!!

Cortney February 27, 2012 at 7:52 am

If you workout regularly (weights, cardio, yoga) and have for awhile, would you say it is necessary to start with Phase 1 of this program?

I just find, as an experienced exercisers, when I start off with a lot of training programs the very beginning is not as challenging as I like.

Eating Bird Food February 27, 2012 at 8:44 am

I know what you mean about some programs not being challenging enough in the beginning. Jamie recommends that everyone start with Phase 1 and move through the program but you can certainly break the rules if you wish. I’m doing it by skipping Phase 2. :)

One thing you could do is try the first week of Phase 1 and if it seems too easy skip to Phase 2.

Cortney February 27, 2012 at 9:09 am

Thanks! I think I will do just that. :-)

Liz @ IHeartVegetables February 27, 2012 at 9:23 am

This workout sounds awesome! Phase 3 sounds like exactly the type of workout I’d want to do. And that treadmill workout sounds like something to keep me from getting bored!

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats February 27, 2012 at 10:45 am

Phase 3 workouts are killer! I have decided to go back to Phase 1 because I am still recovering from a running injury and my body just wasn’t handling the sprints well. I figured with moving it would provide the perfect opportunity to get a fresh start since I just moved over the weekend!

Paige @ Healthy Hits the Spot February 27, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Great post! I have been wanting to try a workout like this :)

LizAshlee February 27, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Intervals are great..they make the time go by so much faster on the treadmill!

Jules @ La Petite Maison Verte February 27, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I’m on the last week of Phase 1 of Jamie Eason’s LiveFit Trainer and I like it so far! I will admit I’ve been adding in a few extra exercises here or there when I don’t feel like I worked a muscle group hard enough but overall it’s a pretty comprehensive strengthening program. I agree with really enjoying it when I feel sore after a workout – it’s like that song from the 1980′s “Hurts SO GOOD, Come on baby make it hurt so good!” Lol! At least, that’s what I always think to myself the next day :-)

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free February 27, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Just found your site via Healthful Pursuit–very cute blog name :D :D

Megan Jones April 18, 2012 at 7:54 pm

I wish I had the patience to do a workout like this. If the treadmill has a program built in I will use it, but if I have to change it manually I find myself not sticking with the program. Especially when I am on a treadmill I like to space out or get lost in my thoughts. That is just not compatible with interval workouts.

Kayla July 21, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Great post! I’m also creating an interval workout for my readers:) might have to check out the jamie Eason program!!