Where Did the Weekend Go?

by on January 15, 2012

This weekend has gone by way too fast! The sad part is that Isaac is off tomorrow for MLK Day and I have to work. Boo hiss!

So what did I do all weekend? I think the explanation calls for a little list and a few instagram picts <– Has anyone else started using their phone to take photos for blogging more often than their digital cam? I still use my DSLR but I’ve been using the iphone more and more lately. It’s just so easy.

Weekend highlights to follow:

1. Made these gingerbread “cliff” bars.

gingerbread clif bars.JPG

The good news: They’re a tasty little snack – filling and dense, yet still have a soft and chewy texture.

gingerbread clif bars.JPG

The bad news: They’re almost gone!

2. A trip to Whole Foods for lunch on Saturday with my fiancé<– still so fun saying typing that!

whole foods value meal.JPG

Isaac and I both got value meals from the prepared foods section. Each meal comes with one of three entrees and two sides. I got the Health Starts Here stuffed portobellos with balsamic marinated veggies and brussels sprouts on the side. Isaac got the chicken stuffed with figs and goat cheese for him. $6 for mine and $10 for his and it was a ton of food! Score.

3. Spent a vast amount of time checking out Jamie Eason’s LiveFit program.

I’ve been interested in the LiveFit program since hearing about it from Janetha, who always inspires me in the workout department. You see, I’ve been in somewhat of a exercise rut lately and the 12 week LiveFit program seems to offer great results. I’m still not sure if I’m going to follow the training program 100% but the eating plan is very similar to how I’m eating now with the Stripped Challenge so that works out perfectly. Isaac and I did Phase 1, Day 1 (Chest and Triceps) on Saturday morning together and we were both super sore this morning. Isaac skipped out the gym today but I completed Day 2 (Back and Biceps) as well. So far I really like having a set workout to do each day and the variety of moves. It feels good to switch up my routine and add more strength training back in my life. I’m planning to do Day 3 tomorrow morning and I’ll keep you all posted.

4. Tried one of Chobani’s new flavors – the apple cinnamon!

Apple Cinnamon Chobani.JPG

I’m typically a plain greek yogurt gal but I love all things apple cinnamon and had to try this new flavor. I’m glad I did because it definitely rivals the pineapple flavor, which is one of my favorites. Chobani + Love Grown Foods granola = best combo ever!

5. Sipped on some new-to-me tea, Runa guayusa.

runa guayusa spice tea.JPG

The tea was given to me from a friend to try. I haven’t ever heard of the brand or the variety but after looking it up, I’ve found that Guayusa (gwhy-you-sa) is a native Amazonian tree leaf that has been brewed like tea with more caffeine and double the antioxidants of any tea, including yerba mate. Plus it has additional health benefits. I’ve tried both the traditional and the spice variety. Both are delicious, but I especially love the flavor of the spice as it reminds me of chai tea.

6. Last but not least, wedding research has officially taken over my computer time. We’re pretty sure we want to have the wedding next spring (2013) so we’ve started looking at venues. We toured two last weekend and toured another this Saturday. I also spent way too many hours online researching venues than I care to admit. There are a ton of options so we still haven’t decided anything yet. <– I’m not sure how much I plan to blog about the the wedding. If you all want to hear about it, I’d love to share but if not I’ll just stick to my normal health eating + workout stuff and keep the wedding details to a minimum.

Sooo I guess that’s where my weekend went! Now it’s time for bed.

Anna January 15, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Yes to wedding blogging please. Want to know the progress of you officially becoming my cousin:)

Eating Bird Food January 16, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Yay!!

Katie Hood January 15, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Congrats on the engagement! Personally, I like hearing about the every day bits of the lives of the bloggers I like to read. Keep up the wedding updates! Along with the norm, of course. :)

Eating Bird Food January 17, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Thank you Katie. It seems like most people are for the wedding updates so I’m happy to share them!!

Megan January 15, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Your clif bars look amazing!! Yum!

Joy January 15, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Oh please share the wedding progress

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn January 15, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Brittany, you will be a BEAUTIFUL bride! If you didn’t notice by all of my pinboards, I am kind of wedding-obsessed. Great thing for a freshman in college to be loving, no? ;)

IS THAT FROSTING I SEE? wheeeee!

Eating Bird Food January 17, 2012 at 8:11 pm

You’re a sweetie! Thank you Katelyn.

Frosting indeed – only frosting with a protein punch. :)

Emily @ The Swallow Flies January 16, 2012 at 12:03 am

I am far from planning my own wedding, but I would LOVE to hear all about your planning!

Laila January 16, 2012 at 12:20 am

Yes please keep updating on all things wedding- I’m engaged and I find a lot of the comments from your readers helpful to me too!

Krystina (Organically Me) January 16, 2012 at 1:12 am

I want to read the details! I’m on the lookout since I’m hoping to get engaged soon!

LizAshlee January 16, 2012 at 8:00 am

Sounds like a great weekend, I am going to have to check that recipe for the brownies..yum!

Alyssa January 16, 2012 at 8:38 am

Those homemade cliff bars look so delicious!! I wish I had protein powder so I could head to the kitchen and bake up a batch!! Do you have any recommendations of what to use instead of protein powder?

I would love to hear all about the wedding details!!

Eating Bird Food January 17, 2012 at 8:13 pm

I’m not much help because I followed the recipe pretty much exactly and I’m not sure what would sub well for the protein powder. You could ask MamaPea or see if anyone else asked that question in the comment section of the post- http://peasandthankyou.com/2011/12/19/wannabe-recipea-gingerbread-cliff-bars/

Liz January 16, 2012 at 8:44 am

Sounds like a great weekend with your fiancé ;) I say yes to wedding blogging! It’s a major part of your life right now and you can show how eating right & exercising will only help with the stress of planning a wedding.

P.S. We had decided on Spring 2013 too so if you pick a date before us let me know! Can’t have 2 family weddings on the same weekend…need at least a week to recuperate from all the fun

Eating Bird Food January 17, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Oh man… we are going to be having a lot of fun spring 2013 – I can’t wait!! Right now I’m saying May 18th to the different venues we’ve looked at but we’re definitely still undecided. Let me know if you pick yours as well. :)

Liz January 18, 2012 at 10:23 am

Alright will do and we’ll keep May 18th off the radar just in case. You guys are ahead of us though, we haven’t looked at any venues in person, I’ve only looked online.

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes January 16, 2012 at 8:50 am

Sounds like a great weekend :) That tea sounds amazing!

Amanda January 16, 2012 at 9:16 am

I too was excited about new Chobani flavors. I had to pick up the blood orange and passion fruit too. I love making my own creations with the plain the most including a recent one wit sliced banana and a raspberry banana puree I actually had made for my baby. Topped with Chia seeds and wheat germ it was delicious!

Steph @ StephSnacks January 16, 2012 at 9:49 am

Sounds like a wonderful weekend! I’d like to try the apple cinnamon yogurt out, myself. I hear about so many different workout programs, and while they all sound amazing, I just can’t beat going to the gym. I try to switch up what I do here and there with workouts from Pinterest to keep my body guessing. Would love to hear more about the wedding!

jessica January 16, 2012 at 10:30 am

I’m on week 7 of the livefit trainer! I’ve got my boyfriend and best friend doing it with me. We all look and more importantly, feel awesome!

Eating Bird Food January 17, 2012 at 8:22 pm

That’s awesome Jessica. I’d love to hear more details about your results if you’d like to share. And I think it’s awesome that you have your bf and friend doing it with you! I’m on day 4 right now and Isaac has done two of the workouts with me but I’d love to do the whole program together.

Shauna January 16, 2012 at 10:56 am

Hi! Great recipe! Can I use chocolate protein powder instead? Which brand do you use?? Thanks!!

Eating Bird Food January 17, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Chocolate protein powder would work but only if you’re okay mixing the flavor of ginger and gingerbread with chocolate. I use Sunwarrior Brown Rice Protein Powder and LOVE it.

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco January 16, 2012 at 11:36 am

I’m still so happy for you two! And I’m glad you had a nice weekend, even though it did go too fast. Happy holiday! (well, sorta) ;)

BroccoliHut January 16, 2012 at 12:22 pm

I know what you mean! I haven’t gotten used to the “fiance” thing yet either. I still refer to him as my boyfriend!

janetha January 16, 2012 at 12:46 pm

your blog always makes me happy! i need to make sarah’s bars, still. i have been meaning to for weeks! i can’t wait to see how you do with livefit. i think it’s way better for muscle building than BFL is.. and i know that’s what you were after before, so i think you will have great results! love you xo

Eating Bird Food January 17, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Aww. Thanks J. The bars are awesome. I highly recommend them. I want to make more right now.

I’m already liking LiveFit more than BFL because the workouts change rather than stay the same each week. With BFL I tended to do the same moves every week (just upped the weight), which is probably one reason I didn’t see amazing results. The other main reason is that I didn’t follow the nutrition plan. I hope to eat much better this time around and see better results. :) Woo-hoo!

Nina January 16, 2012 at 1:17 pm

YES TO WEDDING UPDATES!!!

Liz January 16, 2012 at 1:54 pm

We just got married in November … LOVED our venue – http://farvueonline.com/ – it’s a renovated little farm building on a bunch of land, with a gazebo overlooking the James River. We did the ceremony at the gazebo and then had the reception at the barn. It was really reasonable, the woman is super-nice (it’s a private home/property – the wife is named Cindy) AND they let you bring in your own caterer/drinks/etc (which is one of the things that was really important to me and my fiance and which proved to be a lot harder to find than I had expected). Plus, we were into the whole DIY thing, and they let us have the venue for a week, so we could set up days before and didn’t have to stay the night after the wedding cleaning up. It was perfect… Just let me know if you have any questions :)

Eating Bird Food January 17, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Hi Liz! Thank you so much for commenting! I’d love to hear more about Farvue because it looks like an awesome venue but they only have a few photos online. Do you happen to have any photos of your wedding that you wouldn’t mind sharing with me?

Liz January 18, 2012 at 8:41 am

Sure thing… just sent you an email :)

Lindsay @ Chobani January 16, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Doesn’t the weekend always pass too quickly?! Sounds like you had a busy one, and those bars look absolutely delish! So happy to hear you found the new Apple Cinnamon, it’s to die for, right?!

Eating Bird Food January 17, 2012 at 8:32 pm

YES! I already went and bought two more containers last night. haha

Jess @JessCantCook January 16, 2012 at 2:06 pm

mmm apple cinnamon Chobani sounds delicious! Wish I was there to try the LiveFit workouts with you!

Eating Bird Food January 17, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Me too!! COOOMMMME BAAACCCK. :)

Elizabeth January 16, 2012 at 2:44 pm

A trip to Whole Foods for lunch on Saturday with your finance? It looks like you aren’t quite used to typing fiancé. ;)

Eating Bird Food January 16, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Oops! Apparently I am not. Thanks for pointing that out. :)

Lily January 16, 2012 at 5:48 pm

I started Jamie Eason’s Livefit program last week- I’m excited! I felt like I was getting bored with my workouts and this is just what I needed to motivate myself again. – Yes – I would love to hear about your wedding planning!

Eating Bird Food January 17, 2012 at 8:33 pm

That’s awesome Lily. I’m excited about the LiveFit program as well!!

Kim January 16, 2012 at 6:50 pm

I was at Whole Foods saturday for lunch too! :) I’ve been reading a lot about Jamie’s program after seeing Janetha do it and I’ve been so motivated! I actually just did day 1′s workout at home. I always have a tough time motivating myself on Monday nights so I was happy to be able to do it at home and I’m already feeling it… push ups always get me! I can’t wait to keep going.

Kristina January 16, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Ooh, I just brought a few Apple Cinnamon Chobanis home from Target today, and I’m excited to try them. Glad to hear you liked it, esp since pineapple is my favorite, too.

Isn’t it amazing how wedding planning starts to take over everything? I told my friends to cut me off if I was blabbering about it too much…but I love hearing about other people’s planning so, wedding blog away :)

Pure2raw twins January 16, 2012 at 10:04 pm

hate how fast the weekends go too!!! and love saying that Gary is my fiance as well! and still always playing with my ring too haha
xoxo
Lori

Eating Bird Food January 17, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Me too Lori. I can’t stop staring at it! I’ve never had a piece of jewelery this nice and it’s just so sparkly. :)

Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! January 16, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Wedding planning can definitely take over your life, but it’s so fun and only lasts a short while so enjoy it!!

Liz @ iheartvegetables January 16, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Oh my gosh those clif bars sound amazing!!!!

Did you like that Chobani flavor? A friend at work had it and she said she didn’t like it but I still want to try it!

Eating Bird Food January 17, 2012 at 12:00 am

Yes! I really like it. I just went to the store today and bought more! :)

Jasper January 17, 2012 at 3:02 pm

hi Brittany! the cliff bars look magnificent! I drink Rooibos tea and it conatins tannin which helps the body with the absorption of iron! have you ever tried Rooibos? it’s, most commonly, produced in south africa! it’s lovely! and I should try the tea your friend gave for you to sample! PS. I, too, saw the apple cinnamon chobani in the store this weekend and had no idea it was a new flavor, thinking ” I’ve never seen that one before, yippee!” have a great day brittany! – jasper

Eating Bird Food January 17, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Ahhh.. that’s great to know about Rooibos tea because I’ve had low iron before. Learn something new everyday. Thanks Jasper!!

jasper January 17, 2012 at 10:00 pm

ahhhhhhh I am a terrible friend! Rooibos is LOW in HARMFUL tannins (tannin is known to be found in lots of different types of teas) – and tannins block the absorption of iron into the body…so that’s why Rooibos is good! Good thing I am not a doctor or health care professional passing along wrong info via typos! yikes sorry! I’m low in iron, too! – helpful tip, and I’ll check this one for typos :) : eating Vitamin C rich foods at the same meal as an iron rich one, helps the body absorb iron :) … and you can drink Rooibos, too :) because its LOW in tannins :)

Randi January 23, 2012 at 3:39 pm

I’ve had this ‘Cliff’ bar recipe saved on my computer since you posted and I finally made them over the weekend. Since I didn’t bake them long enough they came out super moist so we have been eating like it’s cake! so yummy.
Great for breakfast this morning after a long run…def making again, thanks for posting :)