Ready or Not

by on November 18, 2011

Welcome to Friday! Who else is excited for the weekend? I know I am.

I don’t know about you, but I can’t believe that we’re less than a week away from Thanksgiving. Ready or not, here it comes!

I have a busy week ahead. I’m moving offices at work on Monday. Wednesday we have a potluck Thanksgiving luncheon at work, Thursday we’re going to Isaac’s Aunt and Uncle’s house for Thanksgiving with his family and Saturday my immediate family is coming over to our place for dinner. It’s going to be kind of crazy, but super fun! I wouldn’t have it any other way.

I’ve been trying to get prepared for all the festivities by figuring out what I want to make. It hasn’t been easy because there are so many good recipes out there, but Pinterest has been my best friend for bookmarking recipe ideas.

Per the usual, I’m trying to keep my dishes on the tasty but healthy side. Things might change, but here’s what I’m planning at the moment:

Work luncheon – Kale Salad with Cranberries and Walnuts (no recipe yet!)

Isaac’s Aunt/Uncle’sRoasted Sweet Potatoes and Tempeh, a veggie option for those that don’t eat meat (Isaac’s mom and I).

201111172328.jpg

Source

Spiced Pumpkin Mousse, a protein packed dessert option

201111172330.jpg

Source

Dinner at our place – It’s my first time hosting Thanksgiving and I’m a little nervous! Isaac is going to bake the turkey, my sister is going to bring a couple side dishes and I’m going to make the rest. Here’s glimpse of what I’m thinking:

Vegan Lentil Loaf, veggie option for those that don’t eat meat (my niece and I).

Roasted Root Veggies

Apple Ginger Galette, a healthy dessert option

201111172341.jpg

Source

I’m not sure what else yet. I do plan to bring out a jar of peach chutney I made over the summer and some homemade pumpkin butter. And, I also want to serve some sort of greens, but I haven’t picked out a recipe yet.

Here are some other options that have been going through my head:

As you can probably tell, I still have some planning to do! What are your plans for Thanksgiving? Do you have any healthy recipes picked out?

Lauren November 18, 2011 at 6:56 am

Can’t believe it’s almost here! Thanks for the last minute recipe motivation. You just reminded me I need to pick up some root veggies. :)

Eating Bird Food November 18, 2011 at 9:33 pm

YES!! Root veggies are the best.

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat November 18, 2011 at 8:14 am

Thanks to you I now have some great options for Thanksgiving… it’s tough to be a vegetarian on that day!

Eating Bird Food November 18, 2011 at 9:33 pm

I agree, but I personally think the sides are much better than the turkey. :)

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes November 18, 2011 at 8:41 am

Great recipe ideas! That lentil loaf sounds great :D

stephanie November 18, 2011 at 11:11 am

sounds like you have a great menu planned girl! i plan on enjoying some key lime pie while soaking up the sun in key west on thanksgiving day ;)

Eating Bird Food November 18, 2011 at 9:32 pm

I am so jealous lady!! Have fun on the cruise.

Erika November 18, 2011 at 11:12 am

I’m kind of scrambling a bit. I have so many ideas, but so little time to plan! Great recipe suggestions!

Eating Bird Food November 18, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I feel like I’m scrambling as well because many of these recipes I’ve never tried before so I’m worried how they will turn out. Hopefully we’ll both get it figured out quickly. :)

Jess @JessCantCook November 18, 2011 at 11:24 am

I can’t believe Thanksgiving is already here either! All of these recipes look delicious :)

Eating Bird Food November 18, 2011 at 9:14 pm

I know, the year has gone by so quickly!! What are you guys doing for T-day?

Jess @JessCantCook November 23, 2011 at 7:31 pm

We’re getting together with two of my parents’ friends who moved out here over the summer tomorrow and then possibly visiting friends in Huntington Beach! It’s going to be very weird to not be home for the holidays this year!

Maria November 19, 2011 at 3:49 am

Great menu for the big day! Thanks for including our brussels sprouts:) They are super easy and so tasty!

Alyssa November 19, 2011 at 9:51 am

Tempeh! It never crossed my mind to serve at Thanksgiving, but somehow the flavor seems appropriate for the occasion.

You might feel nervous, but you’re so lucky to be hosting Thanksgiving this year! I can’t wait for the day when my husband and I get to stay home and all the family travels to see US!

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco November 19, 2011 at 7:15 pm

I almost wish I was hosting, but I’m being a chicken (no pun intended) this year. Goo luck! I’m sure you’ll be fabulous. ;)