Homemade All-Natural Face Cream

by on November 9, 2011

I realize my series on natural products has been slacking a bit, but today I’m sharing something to make up for it – an awesome recipe for a homemade facial moisturizer that I absolutely adore. Seriously, this stuff is amazing!

homemade face cream 1.JPG

I have dry, sensitive skin so I have to be careful what products I use, particularly on my face. With this homemade cream, I’ve finally found something perfect for my skin type. I use it all year long but it’s especially nice in the winter months since my skin tends to be more dry than normal. Although I think it would be great as a daily moisturizer, it doesn’t have SPF so I stick with a sun protecting cream during the day. Currently I’m using A Perfect World SPF 25 from Origins and I’m liking it.

Since I made the switch from my previous night-time moisturizer (CeraVe) to this homemade blend, I’ve noticed a big difference in how smooth and soft my skin is when I wake up in the morning. It’s glorious! I’ve also noticed that the moisturizer isn’t just lovely for the face – it can be used all over the body. I put it on my hands, knees, feet, elbows and anywhere else I’m feeling dry.

The best part is that the blend is made up of only three natural ingredients, which happen to be packed full of antioxidants -perfect for protecting against free radicals and keeping your skin silky smooth! I’ll also note that a little bit goes a long way. One batch tends to last me a couple months.

three ingredient face moisturizer.JPG

Another plus -  it smells delicious from the coconut oil and cocoa butter.

Homemade All-Natural Face Cream

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon coconut oil
  • 2½ tablespoons cocoa butter
  • ½ tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

Preparation

1. Melt coconut oil first by sticking your container/jar in a bowl of hot water.
  2. Combine all ingredients in a small pan or double boiler and heat just until the cocoa butter melts.
  3. Remove from heat.
  4. Allow mixture to cool slightly, place in a small sealed container/jar and shake vigorously, let it sit for a few minutes and shake again.
  5. Depending on the temperature, the mixture may solidify similar to how coconut oil/cocoa butter do on their own. In the winter the cream will usually be solid. You just have to use your finger to get a little bit out of the jar, rub it around in your palms or between your fingers to warm it up a bit and then apply.

homemade face cream.JPG

Make a batch for yourself and apply it each night after washing your face. Or make a batch for a friend – a small jar of this makes a great homemade holiday gift.

PS – I’m currently on my way to Florida for work. I can’t wait for the 80° weather!!! :)

Kristina November 9, 2011 at 11:04 am

I use straight-up Coconut Oil as my face moisturizer and I LOVE it. I’m somewhat breakout-prone so I was worried about slathering oil all over my face, but it honestly makes me break out far less than any store-bought moisturizers (even the expensive ones…) and it’s SO much cheaper.

Eating Bird Food November 9, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I’m the same way Kristina. When I don’t have any of this made up, I just use plain coconut oil! :)

Tiffany November 9, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Hi Kristina, Do you use the coconut oil during the day too or just at night? Does it leave the skin greasy and oily? I want to try it out :) Thanks!

Kristina November 9, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Coconut Oil FTW!
Tiffany – I mostly use it at night, and use a tinted moisturizer during the day. I only use a small amount and it absorbs very quickly – my skin never feels oily or greasy after it sinks in or in the morning. I’ve never used it during the day but I imagine you probably could.

Sarah March 17, 2013 at 8:02 am

I use coconut oil morning and night and it’s good on fresh shaven legs! Also i no longer have cracked heels…works like a charm on those nasty heels!

Eating Bird Food November 10, 2011 at 10:53 pm

Hey Tiffany, it would probably be okay to use during the day if you have dry skin, but not so great if you’re going to be outside in the sun.

Tamara November 2, 2012 at 8:46 pm

I use it, just a little bit on my fingertips, while my face is still wet from the shower or washing. It thins out the oil nicely, making it spread evenly on my face, and it makes it absorb into my skin faster, with no greasy slick. I love straight coconut oil on my skin all over after a shower, but I will try this creme for my face. I have very sensitive skin and can’t use anything over the counter for my face. Coconut has anti-bacterial properties so it helps heal your blemishes and keeps skin clear.

Lindsay November 9, 2011 at 11:14 am

What a great idea! How long would you say this would be good for? Also enjoy Florida!

Eating Bird Food November 9, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I’d say 2-3 months – no refrigeration is necessary.

Kim November 9, 2011 at 11:29 am

love this idea. i’ve heard so much about using coconut oil as moisturizer, i just haven’t tried it yet!

Kendra Kat November 9, 2011 at 11:31 am

I have combination skin (very dry after washing but gets oily throughout the day.) Would this be too oily for my skin type to you think? Does it feel greasy after application?
I am looking forward to making a batch to use as a night moisturizer! Thanks for sharing :)

Eating Bird Food November 9, 2011 at 12:30 pm

I’d think it would be fine during the fall and winter months. It usually doesn’t feel greasy to me because my skin absorbs it quite fast.

wendy November 28, 2012 at 9:36 pm

add some cornstarch to the coconut oil-I have started a small business making coconut oil body creams and they are delicious and make your skin super soft-please contact me-I would love to send you one!!!

Therese January 3, 2013 at 8:50 pm

How much cornstarch? I just started making my own deodorant out of coconut oil and 4 other ing in my cupboard and it works!! I was so thrilled!! Let me know what you’ve got brewing… I am very interested in the natural homemade way!!!

Natalie January 5, 2013 at 5:57 am

Wow I am very interested in how you made you own deodorant. Please could you let me know how you made it.

Therese January 5, 2013 at 3:49 pm
Wendy February 20, 2013 at 2:50 pm

I use about 4 teaspoons of cornstarch and some essential oils of my choice and about 2 cups of coconut oil and I also add 2 tblsp. of the small beads of beeswax-I use a kitchenaide mixer to mix it all for about 15 minutes and what a beautiful cream-I melt the beeswax in the micorwave for 3 minutes and pour it over the coconut oil as I am whipping it! I would be willing to send you some—-

Amanda November 9, 2011 at 11:47 am

I also have sensitive skin and have to be really careful with my face products. At night I’ve been using a little jojoba oil and find that it’s super moisturizing and doesn’t make me break out. I was initially terrified of putting oil on my face, but it’s been awesome.

I can’t wait to try your moisturizer recipe! Love the smell of coconut!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen November 9, 2011 at 11:48 am

This looks so simple, I definitely want to try it out. My skin dries out in the winter too so this sounds perfect. Quick question though…the amount in the directions lasts you a couple months? Seems like such a small amount to last that long.

Eating Bird Food November 9, 2011 at 12:30 pm

A little bit really does go a long way. I only use a small pinch each night.

Erin November 9, 2011 at 11:56 am

I have dry, sensitive skin, too so I cannot wait to make this tonight!! Thank you!!

Lily November 9, 2011 at 12:18 pm

My esthetician was telling me that it is actually better to use a moisturizer and a sun screen/SPF separately rather than as a combined product. She said that they work, but each product has to give a little something up to be combined, she likened it to the 2in1 shampoo/conditioners–they work, but not as well as using the two products separately.

Kelly November 9, 2011 at 12:22 pm

So excited to try this! Thanks for posting. Generally I just use raw unrefined shea butter (which I love) but I am always willing to add a bit of variety to the mix.

Carissa November 9, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I’ve been using Trader Joe’s brand of moisturizer, and I like it, but would prefer something even more natural. I’m going to put cocoa butter on my store list!

Stephanie @cookinfanatic November 9, 2011 at 1:02 pm

this is such a great idea! i usually use just coconut oil on my hands/etc when my skin is dry but the addition of the olive oil and cocoa butter sounds super moisturizing – which i think my poor dry hands might need desperately right now!

Eating Bird Food November 9, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Oh yes, my hands are the same way. I’ve been getting paper cuts left and right!

KellyB@Goodfoodtripslife November 9, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Wow… what a great idea. I’m always trying new products, but didn’t think to make my own. If it doesn’t work for my face then I’ll use it on my hands. :)

Tiffany November 9, 2011 at 9:12 pm

This sounds great! :) Thanks for sharing! My skin is super sensitive so I also use CeraVe and love it but I’ve been searching for something very natural.

Can you use this during the day as well? or would it be too oily? Thanks!

Jess @JessCantCook November 10, 2011 at 12:10 am

I bet this smells amazing :) I’ve used olive oil on my face before by itself and it made my skin soooo soft – I only used it before bed though, even with really dry skin it makes you kind of shiny for an hour or so. I’ve been needing a new night cream lately so maybe I’ll give this a try!

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco November 10, 2011 at 6:34 pm

What a great concept! I have SUPER sensitive skin, so do you think this would be good for me? By the way, your pictures are really great. ;) What kind of camera do you have? Thanks.

Eating Bird Food November 10, 2011 at 11:03 pm

I have sensitive skin as well, so I say yes!

Thanks for compliment. I have a Canon Rebel Xsi SLR.

Christi November 10, 2011 at 10:32 pm

This is such a great idea, thanks for posting the “recipe”. I am currently unemployed and have been stressed out thinking about gifts for the holidays but this helps me out so much. My mom, sister and grandmother won’t be expecting a gift of course but we are really close and I wanted to get them something regardless of my situation, this will be perfect. Thank you for posting it, it has made my night. I have all of the ingredients already so now I will just need to buy some pretty jars and print up some nice labels. If you have any other crafts or homemade gift ideas please feel free to post those too. Most of the ones I find call for several expensive things so I might as well just buy a gift but this is very economical.

Eating Bird Food November 10, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Hi Christi,

I’m so excited that you’re going to be able to use this recipe for gifts. Other homemade gift ideas that I have done in the past – a mason jar with all the dry ingredients to make cookies or other baked goods with a recipe card. Here’s a post about making them for blondies: http://ohsheglows.com/2010/11/14/project-food-blog-video-411/.

I’ve also made homemade salt or sugar rubs and put them in nice jars for gifts.

Have fun with it!

Sarah @ Eat Live Austin November 11, 2011 at 12:09 am

I already use olive oil when I need to moisturize my face, but this just sounds luxurious. I can already imagine how nice it smells. That’s it. Tomorrow I’m going to buy a pretty glass bottle, some fancy ribbon, and all the ingredients!

Liz @ iheartvegetables November 11, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Oh my gosh! I love this idea. So simple and natural! Sometimes it freaks me out how many ingredients are in my creams :\

Jennifer S. November 12, 2011 at 8:57 pm

I can’t wait to make some. I love the idea of giving it as a Christmas present, too. Question: Where did you buy your coconut oil and cocoa butter? (I live locally.)

Eating Bird Food November 13, 2011 at 8:03 am

I got the coconut oil from Whole Foods and the cocoa butter from a drugstore, I can’t remember which one. Maybe Target. :)

Elizabeth Kelly November 16, 2011 at 7:31 pm

This is a great idea. My daughter is really into natural. I think she will definitely like this one. I have some of those mini jam jars and will just use some pretty scraps of fabric to decorate the top. I love making gifts for Christmas so I can add this to my list of great ideas.

This is for Christi – another great idea is making spice blends. Check for different blends on line, like Montreal Steak Spice. Buying spices in bulk at a bulk food store is really cheap and you can buy just as much as you need. In a nice jar, prettily decorated, is an great, inexpensive gift. I am making this one for my son who is away at University – macho decorated. This is also a great idea for anyone a sodium reduced diet – the fresh herbs and spices have more flavour and you can reduce the salt.

Nancy December 3, 2011 at 10:48 am

I made some and love it! Now will be giving to my friends. Two questions and a comment:
Mine turned out a little grainy. Of course, it dissolves when you put it on. I was thinking of putting it in a mini-food processor to smooth it out. Do you have this problem?
Is 2 1/2 T of cocoa butter equal to one stick? I don’t think it is, which makes the recipe complicated. I am going to melt one stick and measure it and adjust the recipe if it is not 2 1/2T.
PS I love your blog!
Finally, Rite Aid has the cocoa butter on sale for .99 (they say half price) right now.

Eating Bird Food December 3, 2011 at 11:24 am

Hi Nancy! I’m glad you like the face cream.

During the winter months when it’s a colder temperature in the house the cream does get hard and a little grainy so you have to rub it in your fingers before applying. Let me know if putting it in the mini-food processor makes it better!

You’re correct, 2.5 T of cocoa butter isn’t one stick. I think 2.5 T is approx. 1/2 of the stick.

Thanks for the info about the sale, that’s great. :)

Rochel April 11, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Quick question. Do you grate the cocoa butter, or melt it, to measure it out?

Eating Bird Food April 11, 2012 at 7:21 pm

I melted it, but you could do either.

Rochel April 11, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Great! Thank you.

WhileHeWasOut May 2, 2012 at 11:06 am

I’m so happy I found this post! I’m still waiting for the butter and oil delivery to arrive, wanted to make a body butter from it (as seen here: http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/02/make-your-own-moisturizing-body-butter.html) but now I’ll have to save some for the face cream ;) Thanks for the “recipe”!

Courtlyn May 28, 2012 at 12:06 pm

This is an AMAZING recipe! I’ve been looking for remedies for dry & sensitive skin! Thanks! I’m going to try this!

Kerstin Geier June 30, 2012 at 1:32 pm

My first acquaintance with coconut oil was when I was sailing in the South Pacific. The Tahitians had the most beautiful skin and hair. On becoming aware that sunscreen actually Causes skin cancer with all those chemicals in it, I researched alternative sunscreens and again and again coconut oil came up. I live in Africa. When I go into the sun or walk the beaches I put on coconut oil. I become lovely and brown and dont burn but of course I dont consciously try to sunbathe or roast my skin. For long periods in intense sun, which I can feel on my skin, I cover up. I read that as a sunscreen, it is best to allow the oil to be absorbed in the skin before going out in the direct sun.

Chris September 12, 2012 at 8:47 am

In the last 6 months I have been trying a ton of homemade concoctions. Yours was the first facial moisturizer I tried because I had all the ingredients. After experimenting with a bunch of other recipes I have found that (drum roll please), that yours is the best! c:

Brittany Mullins September 12, 2012 at 9:08 am

Ahhh… That’s so exciting. I’m glad you like it and I’m also super pumped that you came back to let me know. :)

Ankita October 1, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Hey I have a wheatish complexion plus I have dark circles which badly needs to be cured!! I have a combination skin. The point is can I use the coconut oil before going bed with wheatish complexion?? as I am looking for a remedy that gives glow on my face… :)

Ash October 2, 2012 at 12:12 am

Hello, thanks for posting this :)
Just wondering i only have coconut oil and olive oil but not the cocoa butter!
So, is it possible to use shea butter instead? .. Also is it fine to put this cream on my eye area? i’m in my mid 20′s.. Is it a night cream? because i like to put a cream in the morning but i’m afraid it’s not good, you know the sun heat !
Thanks a bunch :)

Brittany Mullins October 7, 2012 at 7:02 pm

I think shea butter would work fine! I use it near my eye area and haven’t had any issues, but be careful because it’s a sensitive area and might react differently with different people. And yes, I use it as a night cream. It’s a little heavy to wear during the day under makeup.

cathy October 7, 2012 at 5:40 pm

hi! thanks for your post! btw, where did you buy your cute lil jars?

Brittany Mullins October 7, 2012 at 7:00 pm

The jar was from a sample of nut butter from Artisana. I’m not sure where you can buy them – maybe amazon?

Chris October 8, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Not that anyone is as old as me . . . but I am 47 and use it as a day cream as well and love it!

Sara Morris October 17, 2012 at 12:20 pm

I can’t wait to try this blend! For my family we’ve been using coconut oil straight with a few drops of Young Living Lavender essential oil and this is so relaxing. Also in alergy season, having the lavendar helps with itchy eyes. Wonderful, so glad to have found your site.

priska October 27, 2012 at 10:20 pm

@sara,pllsss I ve allergy,dats itchy eyez nd coloured eyes and I ve tried all d eye drops I can get…I am in Africa, nigeria to be precise..pllsss is there any natural way I can cure dis or reduce it…..fanx

Martha November 16, 2012 at 10:07 am

I just find your recipe! I ben looking since yesterday for a natural moisturizer, also Yesterday I spend $28.00. On a toner an a small moisturizer from Clinic. Since my skin is extremely sensitive this creams fell good, but to much money. I can weight to try it this recipe! I will save a lot of money since i am not working right know. Thank you so much for this post. Martha L.

Abby December 6, 2012 at 12:34 am

I’m trying for the first time to make my own moisturizer. Everything went well until I tried to whip it, ( I don’t want hard or bar lotion) I thought I would try rose water and as I added it to the mixture while blending it, it turn instantly to a hard wax consistency. It smells great and would make an excellent lip balm:). How do I get it creamy like store bought lotions? Please help!!

Natalie December 14, 2012 at 7:41 am

Hello
I bought all the ingredients a couple of weeks ago and was very excited to make it. I was just waiting for my shop bought one to finish. So today I have made it, I made it a 0900 and it is now after 1230 but is still has not solidified, it is still a liquid.
PLEASE HELP ME

Brittany Mullins December 14, 2012 at 8:27 am

If you put it some place cool (even the fridge if there’s no where cool in your house), it should get solid pretty quickly. Hope that helps!

Natalie December 14, 2012 at 8:36 am

Thank you soo much for getting back to me soo quickly. I will do that now. Does it need to stay in the fridge one it had solidified?

Grace December 19, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Hello,
I like your blog, i have been on nature products from few months and liked the idea by doing our homemade stuff, i made body scrub from days and i am going to do ths cream soon :-)

Carolyn December 24, 2012 at 12:19 pm

I did not have cocoa butter and used Shea Butter in this recipe. Will that work?

Brittany Mullins December 24, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Yes, shea butter should definitely work.

Donna December 28, 2012 at 3:02 pm

How did the shea butter work out for you? I would like to make some of this now and only have shea butter on hand.

Carolyn December 28, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Shea Butter worked great. I am very pleased with this night cream. It makes my skin feel so soft.

Ashley December 31, 2012 at 6:47 am

I made it but it’s been oily all day!! i followed everything right..
I don’t know what went wrong! maybe the heat though i did it on very low

Ashley January 2, 2013 at 5:58 am

uh, never mind i placed it in the fridge and it looks perfect..

Esther January 6, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Hi! Thank you for posting the recipe to make the cream. I’ve been searching for hours and days to find one. I made my face cream following your directions yesterday and it came out to be super hard (like a bar soap). Is it supposed to softer or is this normal? Thanks!

Brittany Mullins January 6, 2013 at 5:42 pm

It will be hard when at a cool temp. You can either store it in a warmer spot or rub your fingers on it to warm it up before applying. I hope this helps.

MELINDA KLINE January 18, 2013 at 11:48 am

HI i will give this a try . Every thing i use makes me break out in a red rash

Emilyn January 20, 2013 at 12:35 pm

I had HUGE eyebags! Then I remembered reading health benefits if coconut oul somewhere. I started using it around the eye area and have notedthat other people have stared telling me that I look younger and more well rested somehow, confirmation of my observations about my diminished eyebags! I have been combing the internet for testimonials in coconut oil/cream as a facial moisturizer. I’ll now give it a go after eading your and the others’ comments. Thanks!

Beth January 23, 2013 at 4:58 pm

This looks simple enough, I’ve been looking up tons of recipes for a face cream, my question is can you add any oils to this for further benefit? If so, which ones would be good? Can you make this with jojoba oil instead of olive oil and can you add essential oils to it I guess is what I’m asking? Isn’t rose oil supp to be good? Any suggestions for my rosacea like skin?

Nat @ The Apple Diaries January 25, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Wow this face cream sounds amazing! I literally only just realised you had some great homemade skin care posts! And here I was thinking Eating Bird Food was just about delicious recipes ;) I will definitely be trying this.

Thanks Brittany!

Meredith Kitch January 29, 2013 at 9:42 am

Brittany,
The recipe sounds wonderful but I’m type 0 blood type and according to the blood type diet I’m supposed to stay away from coconut oil. I absolutely love the way it feels on my skin but occassionally I get a pimple or two on my chin. How would you advise? Thank you! Meredith

deepan February 12, 2013 at 11:50 pm

i want to remove black spots in my face please send a feed back i have dry skin face and bodies are different colours i want to chance immeddiately

angie February 19, 2013 at 7:01 pm

I use the whole stick of coconut butter, correct? I had a hard time trying to measure out 2 1/2 tablespoons because it is pretty solid…
Thanks

Brittany Mullins February 20, 2013 at 11:31 am

I think it’s easier if you put your container of coconut oil in warm water, the oil melts and you can measure it out much easier. Hope this helps!

kelly February 21, 2013 at 10:05 am

i have rosacea and everything irritates my skin. do u think this will be ok?

Cosmina February 24, 2013 at 5:48 am

hi! You said that this cream it’s a little heavy to wear during the day under makeup.
If i replace the olive oil with sweet almond oil or apricot kernel oil or grapeseed oil it will be ok to use it during the day under makeup?
I’m also interested if you have a recipe for a natural face cream with spf or a natural eye cream.
Thanks!

Char March 22, 2013 at 10:30 pm

I just made my first batch using the exact ingredients in the photo (I had all three). Only the EVOO is a different brand. The end result is not white or creamy – it’s golden color more like the Palmer’s Coco butter stick. I made it 11 hours ago and it is still predominantly liquid with a few congealed bits of white – probably the coconut oil.

Did I do something wrong? I have not tried it on my face yet.

Renita March 26, 2013 at 9:24 pm

I was all excited when I read about this cream so I made it. It did not agree with me as I found that when I washed it off in the morning my face felt dry and tight. I also noticed a patch of dry skin near my right temple. I now use pure coconut oil and I love it. It absorbs well and my skin looks healthy. I guess cocoa butter is not for me.

Brittany Mullins March 26, 2013 at 11:31 pm

Oh now! That’s such a bummer. I’m sorry the cream didn’t work out, but I’m happy to hear that regular coconut oil is working wonders on it’s own. I love coconut oil!

P. Miller April 1, 2013 at 9:44 am

Awesome recipe! Natural recipes leave your skin feeling much younger, fresher, and rejuvenated. I will be sure to share this moisturizer with others. Thanks!

Alicja B. April 7, 2013 at 7:26 am

Hello, this recipe seems lovely but just a question, can I substitute the olive oil for avocado or grapeseed perhaps? Thank you

Rosi April 17, 2013 at 7:06 am

It felt great on my skin, but I genuinely hated the smell. Any idea how can I make it more pleasant to the ‘nose’. Obviously, the shea butter (which I put instead of the cocoa butter) in addition to the virgin oil can’t give you pleasing smell, but I’m pretty certain that something can be added to the mixture for a sweeter fragrance. Many thanks.

Brittany Mullins April 17, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Perhaps you could add some essential oils for a nice scent. I bet lavender would smell nice!

Jill April 26, 2013 at 4:25 pm

I wanted to point out that many of Origins products have a toxicity rating of 4 or higher…some reaching as high as 9.

A simple way to make your great homemade lotion with SPF would be to simply add 2 Tbspn of Zinc Oxide
You can buy it on amazon, just be SURE not to inhale the powder while infusing it with the lotion.

Jessica April 27, 2013 at 10:51 pm

If you have any more face creams , face mask or lotion please send me te recipe

Marian May 21, 2013 at 11:03 pm

I’m looking for a perfect cream recipe that called for lanolin,
virgin coconut oil, almond oil, rose water, aloe vera. Are
you familiar with this recipe? I had a copy for years and now
when I’m ready to make it again I misplaced it. Please email
me if you can. Thanks Marian

Jeanette June 10, 2013 at 1:47 am

Hi Marian, If you find this rcipe you’re looking for, would you kindly mail it to me as well. I’ve been searching all over for something simillar.
Beauty wishes
Jeanette

Melissa January 29, 2014 at 2:14 am

Sounds like rosemary gladstar’s perfect lotion recipe

lift and glow pro and lift serum pro May 22, 2013 at 4:55 am

Very good blog! Do you have any hints for aspiring writers?
I’m hoping to start my own blog soon but I’m a little lost
on everything. Would you propose starting with a free platform
like Wordpress or go for a paid option? There are so many
options out there that I’m totally confused .. Any ideas? Bless you!

Corin June 1, 2013 at 9:02 am

How does this lotion work with acne prone skin? I have heard about oil cleansing and have thought to try it but I am so scared of a bad break out!

season June 1, 2013 at 7:07 pm

I only use coconut oil to wash my face and moisturize. it works really well. put the coconut oil on your faceand let it steam in the shower then rinse with cool water.
if you want a natural sunscreen then you could try shea butter. The smell is not all that good but if you mix with essential oils it is better.

Sharon June 13, 2013 at 5:30 am

Hi I’m going to give this a go.. Do you use organic products? Or what are the best products to use? Also do you have any top tips on sunscreens? I know Shea butter Is a natural sunscreen but it doesn’t have a high enough factor.. Is zinc oxide ok to use or just another chemical??

Amanda July 5, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Just wanted to let you know that coconut oil is a natural sunscreen with an SPF of 15.

Holly July 10, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Hi!
I came across this recipe and it helps to clear my son’s eczema.
If you add a 1/2 cup of aloe vera gel you get a wonderful lotion! Just melt the oils and cocoa butter, cool and add to blender. Slowing add aloe and scrape down sides.
If you stray from the recipe by adding more aloe or oil it won’t mix right.
Thanks a bunch and I’m addicted to the smell:-)

Suzanne July 12, 2013 at 10:23 am

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. I’ve been using just straight organic, virgin coconut oil on my face and body for about a month and I love it. I’d like to try this for my face, but the only Cocoa Butter I can find is very hard at room temperature, and it’s quite expensive, coming only in a large container. I can’t quite make out the name of the one you show–any suggestions of where it can be purchased? Online? Thank you!!

whit October 2, 2013 at 4:24 am

you can shop online or visit your nearest organic supplier, here we have Planet Organic*
raw cocoa butter is hard, use the double boiler and warm it up to liquid form, when mixed with other liquids it remains softer.

hope this helps :)

Flora August 2, 2013 at 7:23 am

A nice recipe, pls I want to know if it is advisable to add green tea to it.

Nadia August 14, 2013 at 5:44 am

Hi! would I be able to use shea butter instead of cocoa butter?

Brittany Mullins August 14, 2013 at 8:16 am

Hi Nadina. I think that should work fine.

Erica August 18, 2013 at 9:27 pm

I tried this cream, and I love it! I added a few drops of Vitamin E oil and lavender essential oil. I have been using coconut oil on my face at night for a few months, and it’s been great for my combination skin. So far, this recipe seems like an even better moisturizer. Thanks for sharing!

PS – I hope you don’t mind – I posted this recipe on my blog (http://meetmissmarie.blogspot.com/) and cited your original post.

sisu August 20, 2013 at 2:39 am

Thanks for posting! I have dry in my face.. sensitive skin too, plz help me here ? so can I try this …?

whit October 2, 2013 at 4:29 am

I am so excited to try this recipe! thank you so much!
im wondering if i could possibly add less cocoa butter (for smoother more liquid lotion like consistency) and switch the olive oil for a carrier oil blend… do you think it would work? perhaps if i put it in the blender?

thank you!

Dido October 14, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Whats good for dark spots…

Erica November 7, 2013 at 4:49 pm

I’ve been using coconut oil for several months now and absolutely love it especially as a facial moisturizer. I have noticed that sometimes the coconut oil tends to leave my skin just a little tight, so I’m looking forward to trying this recipe!

Natalia December 8, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Does it matter what kind of coconut oil you use? I have the cooking one would it make a difference?

Eating Bird Food December 8, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Hi Natalia – I’d just make sure it’s extra virgin coconut oil.

Stephanie December 27, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Amazing! I added some Vitamin E Oil. Thank you loads!!

Lena April 16, 2014 at 8:05 pm

Did you know carrot oil naturally protects against UVR. Maybe try mixing some in the facial cream for the daytime!

Brittany Mullins April 17, 2014 at 8:28 am

Great tip! I’ll have to look into adding some to my day cream.