Why Eat Chia Seeds?

by on August 3, 2011

As many long-time EBF readers know, I LOVE chia seeds! My sister texted me a few nights ago asking for more info about them, which made me realize it was time for little refresher post on why I think chia seeds are so great. If you’re an avid blog reader, some of this info might be old news, but for everyone else here’s what you need to know about one of my favorite seeds – the ch-ch-ch-chia! <– I had to do it!

Chia pudding.JPG

What are chia seeds?

“Chia is an edible seed that comes from the desert plant Salvia hispanica, a member of the mint family that grows abundantly in southern Mexico. You may have seen chia sprouts growing on the novelty planters called Chia Pets, but historically, the seeds have been the most important part of the plant. In pre-Columbian times they were a main component of the Aztec and Mayan diets and were the basic survival ration of Aztec warriors. I’ve read that one tablespoon was believed to sustain an individual for 24 hours. The Aztecs also used chia medicinally to stimulate saliva flow and to relieve joint pain and sore skin.” - Quoted from Dr.Weil

What do chia seeds taste like?

The flavor is very mild and almost non-existent. When they are combined with liquid they start to form a gel like consistency, so if you were to eat them plain the gelling process will start in your mouth. Although, I don’t often eat them plain, they’re better mixed in things like smoothies or oatmeal.

What are the benefits of eating chia?

They’re a good source of:

• Omega 3 fatty acids - Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids are essential fatty acids, meaning that you need to get from food sources because your body cannot produce them itself. Omega 3′s reduce inflammation and may help lower risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, cancer, and arthritis. They’re also said to help with weight reduction related to their regulation of blood sugar levels and insulin.
  • Plant-based protein - We all know protein is an essential macronutrient needed for many functions in the body, including muscle building.
  • Antioxidants - Anti-oxidants help rid our body of free radicals, which have been linked to cancer and heart disease.
  • Fiber – Helps with weight loss by keeping you feeling full, prevents constipation and enhances regularity.
  • Magnesium and PotassiumTwo minerals needed for good health.

How much chia should I eat daily?

For general purposes of health, nutrition and energy an adult would typically consume about 1-2 tbsp dry seeds daily.

What are the nutritional facts?

1 Tablespoon of dry seeds have about 60 calories, 5 g of Fat, 6 g of Carbohydrate, 6 g of Fiber, 3 g of Protein

Where do you buy chia seeds?

I’ve found them at my local health food store (Ellwood Thompson’s) and at Whole Foods. They can be found in both the bulk section and supplement section. If you don’t have a local health food store, you can buy them online.

What brand do you buy?

Typically I try to buy chia seeds from the bulk bins because that’s where they are the cheapest but I recently had the opportunity to try out a new brand of chia seeds at a local yoga event. After trying them, the company, Health Warrior, offered me a bag to sample. I gladly accepted! :) Health Warrior was founded in New York, but they’re headquartered here in Richmond, which is awesome because I really love supporting local companies.

health warrior chia seeds.JPG

And for the record, I’m really feeling like I should be going into battle with all the Health Warrior and Sun Warrior I consume. Isaac was cracking jokes about it just the other day. :)

So I’ve been using these chia seeds as I normally would by adding them to smoothies, oatmeal, yogurt, overnight oats, granola bars and baked goods (like these protein bars). I love the little bit of crunch that they add, as well as the thick gel like consistency that forms when they’re combined with liquid. Chia seeds are much easier to use than flax seeds because you don’t have to grind them to make the “gel” or absorb the nutrients.

So, how do you eat them?

• Make chia gel! Chia absorbs 9 times its weight in water, which is the reason behind the 9:1 ratio most people talk about. For thicker or thinner gel, you can adjust the ratio accordingly. 1/3 cup of chia seeds would absorb 3 cups of water, but for a thinner gel that absorbs faster you could also do 1/3 cup of chia seeds to 2 cups of water or other liquid. You simply mix together the chia seeds and water. Let the mixture stand for 30 minutes, stirring with a whisk to prevent clumping. The gel can be stored in the fridge for two weeks and used as a thickener in soups and smoothies, as a egg replacement in baked goods or a binder in bean patties or meat loafs. Chia seeds are great for vegan cooking!
  • Drink them! Add chia seeds to water, juice or any other hot/cold drink. Leave them in the liquid for about two minutes before drinking so they absorb some of the liquid.
  • Sprinkle them on anything and everything you’d like!
  • Try these recipes on Shape.com from Julie of PB Fingers.

Or make one of my favorite recipes, Chia Pudding:

chia pudding1.JPG

Here’s the recipe for a chia pudding I made last week with the Health Warrior chia seeds.

Chia Pudding with Rolled Oats

• 1/4 cup whole chia seeds
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 1/2 scoop vanilla brown rice protein powder (Sun Warrior is my fav)
  • 1 T rolled oats
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 to 4 drops of liquid stevia, or other natural sweetener
  • 1/2 sliced banana
  • 1/8 cup blueberries

In a bowl, mix together all ingredients except the banana and blueberries.You’ll need to stir quite a bit because the protein powder clumps and resists dissolving into the milk. Once everything is well combined, let the mixture sit on the counter or in the fridge for 8-10 minutes. Stir in the banana, top with blueberries and enjoy!

If you’re pressed for time in the morning, you could make it the night before, store it in the fridge and have it for breakfast in the morning, similar to overnight oats. Yum!

chia pudding with oats.JPG

Have you tried chia seeds? What are your thoughts?

Lauren August 3, 2011 at 6:48 am

I love the texture that chia seeds adds. They remind me so much of Poppy seeds which I’ve always loved.

nicole @ Making good choices August 3, 2011 at 6:49 am

great refresher on chia seeds! I love putting them in smoothies or making chia pudding!

Cait's Plate August 3, 2011 at 7:00 am

I’m a chia seed lover through and through. I’m actually on vacation and without them right now and it’s KILLING me! Yogurt just doesn’t taste the same without them :)

Kathryn August 9, 2011 at 12:39 pm

I take a jar (a large brown spice jar I bought at a co-op) of chia seeds with me on travels, so I can add it to juice or water.

Ushan Arnone August 3, 2011 at 7:24 am

Our kids think they are crunchy and interesting; we like adding some to milk and in banana bread, muffins and on cereal

Emily August 3, 2011 at 7:35 am

Thanks for this great post! I actually purchased a container of chia seeds over a year ago and am not sure if I should get rid of them or not. I want to start eating them again but I’m not sure how to tell if they’ve gone bad.

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes August 3, 2011 at 7:45 am

I love the texture of chia’s! I have just started eating them though. THis was a great post! very helpful! I am sending it to my mom who has soo many questions about them :) thanks!

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups August 3, 2011 at 8:26 am

I’ve yet to try chia seeds, but I know I need to. I’m always looking for ways to get more Omega-3s!

Holly @ RUST BELT RUNNER August 3, 2011 at 8:41 am

I’m not sure if you will be able to answer this so I’m just posing a hypothetical…

I used to eat flaxseeds until I hear that unless you bit on the seeds while eating them, they basically just get swallowed whole and go through your system. I now buy ground flax to get the full benefits.

My initial thought on the chia seed is the same. Except for maybe using it in a granola bar you bite into. In the oats or smoothie the seed is mostly just going to get swallowed and basically go in your body and come right out.

Eating Bird Food August 3, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Hi Holly – you are correct that flaxseeds need to be ground to get the full nutritional benefit. Despite their texture, chia seeds have a soft and tender outer seed coat so you don’t need to grind chia seeds before eating or cooking with them to get the nutrients. :)

Angela August 3, 2011 at 9:08 am

Wow I’ve never tried them but you just converted me over to the Chia World! Thank you for the info! ;)

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats August 3, 2011 at 10:56 am

Chia seeds are so good! I love putting them in granola and overnight oats. I love the mixture of the crunchy/gel texture! :)

Cait @ Cait hates Cake August 3, 2011 at 11:06 am

I love chia seeds. I started eating them for the health benefits, but grew to love the texture they add to things. I buy them on Amazon super cheap.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 3, 2011 at 11:13 am

Love chia seeds. I’ve yet to make the chia seed pudding. It always looks so good though I need to try it out soon!

caitlin August 3, 2011 at 11:36 am

i’m a big fan of chia seeds too! i love your blog. i interviewed a dietitian in my post today and i thought you might want to check it out! http://closetvanity.com/2011/08/03/take-5-with-ayla-withee-registered-dietitian-eat-simply/

lisa @ early morning run August 3, 2011 at 11:38 am

I, too, love chia seeds. I’ve only used them in yogurt, oatmeal and granola, so these ideas are fantastic! I’ll definitely put them to use soon! I never took the time to figure out what the gel is used for, so versatile!

jennifer / my little adventures August 3, 2011 at 12:18 pm

perfect timing! i recently started blending my own smoothies every morning before work & i’ve noticed that many of the smoothie recipes i come across online include chia seeds. i was just telling the bf this morning i should look up why they’re so popular and here it is! :) thanks for sharing..

also, Holly @ RUST BELT RUNNER poses an interesting question. what *is* the ans to that?

Kathryn August 3, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I want to try chia seeds so bad. I should see if my co-op has them and cave to the sure-to-be ridiculous price just this once…

Kristiana August 3, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Chia seeds go great in overnight oatmeal, but I also love them sprinkled in hummus and even on a PB&J sandwich – they give it an extra kick.

Megan August 3, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Thank you for this post! I’ve been meaning to try chia seeds, but I wasn’t exactly sure what they were or how to try them. Now I know!

emily (a nutritionist eats) August 3, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I just had chia on my cereal this morning! :)

Nicole August 3, 2011 at 1:48 pm

These are totally next on my list of things to get along with some maca. I’m trying to ease into all the “add in’s” I buy because there are so many I want to try! Thank you for such a detailed post on what they are!

amy@ lovetotrain August 3, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I carry them around with me ( along with teabags, protein powder and almonds) in a little packets in my handbag- incase of emergency!!!

Naz August 3, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I’ve been wanting to try out chia seeds for ages now, so after reading this blog I think I will definitely go and buy some! Is there a difference between having the seeds and having the powder?

Kim August 3, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Been meaning to pick up some chia seeds for months now, and this post was perfect timing. I went to Ellwoods @ lunch and they were all out! Maybe your post had a lot of people running out to grab some : )

LauraJayne August 3, 2011 at 3:53 pm

I have a big bag of Chia seeds, unopened, in my pantry! I’ve just been totally clueless about how to use them! This post totally helps!

Stephanie @cookinfanatic August 3, 2011 at 4:06 pm

I haven’t had chi-chi-chi-chiaaaaa seeds in so long! You inspired me with this post, I made a lunchtime stop at Whole Foods and guess what I grabbed outta the bulk bins :) Yay! Oh, let me know if you are around this weekend and want to meetup maybe grab some lunch/dinner or something!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio August 3, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Funny story… co-worker eats chia seeds a lot. One day she went into her bathroom and had a chia plant growing out of her sink. A seed must have gotten stuck in the drain after she brushed her teeth or something. She said she just about peed in her pants when she saw the plant.

Haley August 3, 2011 at 4:32 pm

I LOVE chia seeds too! Lately I’ve just been mixing them with my coconut water and spirulina… chug chug chug and I’m one happy camper! =)

janetha @ meals & moves August 3, 2011 at 5:33 pm

I remember the first time I heard about chia a few years ago I thought “what, like the pet?!” and couldn’t fathom eating it. But I love chia seeds!

Melissa August 3, 2011 at 5:50 pm

I wish I could get on board with chia seeds, but I think the texture wouldn’t work for me. I don’t like seeds in my jam, and I have a feeling this would be like that. :(

Melissa March 31, 2012 at 12:53 am

Melissa, did you know that you can grind them up? It works really well, actually. Also, as the seeds absorb the fluid, the swell and get very soft, so they’re not like the seeds in your jam. They’re too good for you to pass up, with so much to offer.

boscodagama August 3, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Back in the day (1966-1970) is was great fun to get someone to eat a tablespoon of chia seeds and watch them try to get the seeds out of there dentition..

Natale @FactualFoodie August 3, 2011 at 6:56 pm

I recently tried Chia seeds since I heard all this hype about them, but I’m having a hard time getting past the “sliminess” of them.. The texture most people love about them frankly creeps me out a little.. I may try them in baking instead!

BroccoliHut August 3, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Chia seeds can also be an excellent source of calcium! I ran out of chia several months ago…I need to stock up!

Katie August 3, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Great post! I love chia seeds! I use them in smoothies, overnight oats and to make chia pudding. Question though, as for calories you mention there are about 60 calories in a tbsp (and that is what I find online too). However, the chia seeds I have say there are 70 calories in 2 tbsp http://www.navitasnaturals.com/products/chia/chia-seeds.html any idea why there is such a difference??

Eating Bird Food August 3, 2011 at 9:47 pm

That’s a really good question. I would email Navitas and ask.

Kerryne August 3, 2011 at 10:04 pm

I just came across your blog and got sucked in :) I have chia seeds but never quite knew what to do with them. This helps so much… now I have a few ideas. I have already had them with oatmeal, but am anxious to try some other variations!

Nicole August 3, 2011 at 11:01 pm

I’m kind of interested in trying them now…

Aline Boundy August 4, 2011 at 2:19 am

Hmm….I’ve heard of chia seeds but haven’t really tried them. But looking at your pictures and recipes, I’m kinda tempted to try them out.

Marianne August 4, 2011 at 3:01 am

Chia seeds are great – I would love to consume them more often, but alas, they aren’t cheap. I’ve never seen them in bulk here, so that’s probably why I think they are on the pricier side ;) But they are a fun addition to anyone’s diet, that’s for sure.

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers August 4, 2011 at 8:43 am

I love that my health food store has a “bulk bin” of them. Score!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun August 4, 2011 at 10:26 am

I must confess that the description of the seeds forming a gel consistency keeps me far from them. I can’t get past that and wish I could because they sure do have a lot going for them.

PS – Can’t wait to see you again in TWO WEEKS!

Eating Bird Food August 5, 2011 at 11:47 am

I know!! I’m so excited for HLS!!

Maria August 4, 2011 at 11:09 am

Great post! I really need to eat more chia seeds!

Nicole August 4, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Another timely post! When I couldn’t find hemp seeds at the store last weekend, I almost bought chia seeds… are they a good protein-rich alternative to hemp seeds?? I can’t find hemp in my tiny town but chia seeds are weirdly abundant. Help!

Eating Bird Food August 5, 2011 at 11:47 am

Whole Foods carries hemp seeds but if you don’t have one nearby you could order hemp seeds online through Amazon. I know Nativas Naturals is a good brand. :)

@HilaryFleming August 5, 2011 at 2:04 am

I wrote a blog post the other day about chia with an accompanying tutorial! http://www.healthgirltv.com/2011/06/5-reasons-to-add-chia-to-your-diet-ch.html

Your post is so thorough and the pudding looks delish!

Amy August 5, 2011 at 11:04 am

i love chia seeds! especially chia pudding..its so yummy!

Carolina @ Peas in a Blog August 5, 2011 at 12:06 pm

I’ve never had chia seeds though I’ve been meaning to give them a go. Your pudding is making a heck of a case for it ;)

girl in the pink August 5, 2011 at 1:25 pm

It’s official: I need to jump on the chia bandwagon! I still have never tried them!! Thanks for all the tips/info!! :)

Amy August 7, 2011 at 1:57 pm

You know, as much as there is going around about chia seeds and how great they are, this is the first time I actually have read about them! Thanks for the info, I am going to have to try them now! This pudding looks and sounds delicious! I love any sort of pudding with a consistency like rice or tapioca pudding so I have a feeling I would love your recipe, and what a great way to introduce chia :)!

Kathryn August 9, 2011 at 12:43 pm

I get in my daily dose of chia in the morning.
I’ll add it to smoothies (though don’t let them sit too long, or you’ve got ‘smoothie pudding”!), make a cereal with chia, hemp seeds and home-germinated buckwheat (you can buy a commercial version of this, but it’s so easy to make at home), I also will cook up some amaranth or oatmeal or quinoa with extra water, then turn off the heat and stir in some chia seeds to absorb the extra water.

Trisha August 10, 2011 at 6:21 pm

I had some chia seeds in my fridge from reading about them somewhere else. Your post inspired me to eat them again! I’ve used them the past 2 mornings in overnight oatmeal. I’m glad to know what else you can use them for too – smoothies, etc. Yep, so much easier than flax seeds (which I also have in the fridge put don’t get used as much as they should because of having to grind them).

I just found your blog and have enjoyed reading for the past few days.

Colette September 4, 2011 at 1:37 pm

The “Nutiva” website has chia seeds for a reasonable price, as well as hemp seed, coconut oil, hemp oil, etc.

Melissa September 25, 2011 at 5:32 am

I’ve been eating chia seeds for years now; initially, when they were ‘new’ to us here in the US, the only place I could get them was on a subscription service, delivered monthly, and they were expensive. When they started becoming popular, I could get them for less and in more places. However, from that early experience, I was taught that the white chia seeds are far superior to the dark ones, in all their important constituent levels (protein, omega-3′s, etc). So all this time, I’ve always made sure I bought the white ones (actually beige color), and I’ve always ground them up. I keep them in the freezer till ready to add to my protein/fiber/anti-oxidant mix, made in large batches but which is then ground up in small batches that I keep in the frij and use up in a week or so. When I use the mix, I add liquid coconut oil (2.5 oz) as the last ingredient and blend it in my Magic Bullet (the best thing I’ve ever used for this). I also add an ounce of apple cider vinegar (the real thing, unpasteurized/unflitered), for all its health benefits. There are many ingredients, including hemp protein, whey protein, beet powder, cocoa, stevia, xylitol, flax seeds, brewers yeast, cinnamon, psyllium, and spirulina. I’m considering lowering the coconut oil amount and replacing it with hemp oil. When I blend it up, I also add vitamin C crystals, a raw egg, a mixture of Acai, Blueberry, & Pomegranate juices and Chyawanprash, all of this mixed in with the apple cider vinegar and kept in the frij for easy use. The base is a high quality protein drink in chocolate. The resulting drink is thick and rich, and lasts me most of the day, till dinner time. I have used some variation of this recipe for several years now, and very rarely skip it. The coconut oil has detoxed my fatty areas, so that the appearance of cellulite is much reduced. My skin is very clear and I have no thyroid issues (although I started using Thyroid Nascent Iodine last year and it has dramatically reduced my hair loss, initially suggesting that I may have been hyprothyroid, but I don’t think so now. We just don’t get the necessary amounts of the right kind of iodine in our diets any more, and it is important for so many reasons, not the least of which is supporting the thyroid gland so that it is able to continue optimal function and produce adequate thyroid hormone). That’s another thing; I have also recently added unrefined sea salt (Redman’s for now) to my smoothie each day, for thyroid support and to assist in the detox pathways. For more thyroid info, google Dr. David Brownstein; he has authored very informative books on this subject and is currently one of the most informed source on thyroid issues (of which there are few, as this has been a much-neglected area of allopathic medicine, and the most commonly used test to detect it is next to worthless), and is educating many doctors and health care practitioners about hypothyroidism, thyroid issues, and the importance of biologic iodine in the human body.
So, I am interested to learn if the Salvia Blanca truly is superior to the dark chia seeds; the dark ones are more readily available and quite a bit less costly. I’ve also noticed that the white seeds do indeed have a stronger flavor than what I’m reading here on this blog about the dark seeds; they are not flavorless in my opinion, and have a trace of flavor that reminds me of fish oil when used in larger amounts; I wondered if that was due to its higher omega-3 content, a quality it shares with the cold-water oily fish from which the good fish oils derive. For this reason, I have chosen to not use it in baking, nor as a gel to add to mild-flavored recipes (as opposed to soups, stews, and more robust-flavored items). I also really do not like eating the dark chia seeds, which stick in my teeth so badly and then are so visible and obvious if I don’t check thoroughly after eating them. I always use them ground up. Wishing all of you good health! melissa

Carisa December 16, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I love chia! My favorite quick breakfast is to take sprouted chia gel (1 tablespoon organic chia seeds in 8 ounces of water, let it sit at room temp for 24 hours) and 1 scoop Sun Warrior rice protein (I like the vanilla flavor) and mix with enough water to make it drinkable. It gives me plenty of energy until lunchtime. Sprouting the chia seeds before consumption, as with other seeds, increases their nutrient content and ORAC value exponentially. Give it a shot!

ash @ http://peacehappinessyoga.blogspot.com/ January 23, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Love the recipe! I am so excited to try chia seeds now!

Eating Bird Food January 23, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Let me know what you think of the recipe!! :)

Carisa January 24, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Have you ever made it without the oats? I don’t eat much in the way of grains (sensitive to gluten).

Eating Bird Food January 24, 2012 at 7:14 pm

You can totally make them without the oats!

Leah March 14, 2013 at 8:39 pm

there actually isn’t gluten in pure, uncontaminated oats;)
but finding that might be difficult…

Francey September 1, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Oats. Found at Fruitful Yield!

Hillary {Nutrition Nut on the Run} January 27, 2012 at 12:55 am

I’ve been eating/drinking 1T of chia in 4oz water every morning and I think it’s helping with my complexion — love ‘em! Great, informative post :)

Kaitlyn February 25, 2012 at 9:16 am

I was wondering if this recipe would still work with Whey Protein Powder…I recently came off 13 weeks of eating vegetarian and would like to go back to some animal protein for a bit – I do not always eat vegetarian…that may sound weird, but I am a Holistic Nutritionist who just believes in consuming whole foods however my body wants at that time. I never turn away any style of eating, I just eat however makes me feel good…

Eating Bird Food February 25, 2012 at 9:21 am

Whey protein powder would definitely work!

angel tang March 30, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Great idea and recipe – thanks so much for sharing. And, lovely photo. Will def. make this soon and let you know what i think. Question – the oats are just added raw, right? Tx!

Eating Bird Food March 30, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Thanks Angel! Yes, the oats are raw.

Melissa March 31, 2012 at 1:00 am

I’m still using Chia seeds every morning in my mix, but you CAN teach an old dog a new trick, and I am letting them sprout overnight now and not grinding them up. They’re fine that way, and I also have been using the dark seeds as well as the light ones. The other evening, I discovered another way to use them; I needed something light to eat before going to bed, so I took a couple spoons of the sprouted seeds and mixed them into a small cup of applesauce, and a spoonful of plain cinnamon (no sweetener needed), and mixed it up well; it was delicious! So I fixed up the rest of the applesauce the same way and put it back in the frig for later. It’s great, and not ‘seedy’ at all. I love it.

Kellie April 10, 2012 at 10:37 pm

I just love this spoon that I’ve seen in many of your pictures and I was wondering where you got it.

Eating Bird Food April 10, 2012 at 11:55 pm

I got the spoon from Crate and Barrel. They have different colors too. :)

Will April 10, 2012 at 10:42 pm

EBF,
Wondering where you got those spoons? A certain girl I know would love them.

-Inquisitive Boyfriend

Eating Bird Food April 10, 2012 at 11:56 pm

I got the spoon from Crate and Barrel.

Will April 11, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Thanks! Looks like my girlfriend Kellie beat me to it!

Christina April 23, 2012 at 11:56 am

I tried this recipe today, using vanilla soymilk and a little coconut milk from Silk……and it tastes great! My mind is still trying to get around the “crunch” from the chia seeds in the middle of gooey goodness, but it still tastes good. Thank you for this recipe!

Eating Bird Food April 23, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Yay. So glad you liked it Christina!

Ferret Kisses April 29, 2012 at 5:39 pm

I absolutely love this recipe… I only discovered this blog last week while looking for other things to do with my chia seeds besides drinking them. There is so many things I want to try… Thanks for the recipe.

suzieQ May 24, 2012 at 11:31 am

are chia seeds to sprout the same thing as chia seeds to grind?

Eating Bird Food May 24, 2012 at 12:01 pm

yup!

Jenna June 24, 2012 at 2:37 pm

I would love to incorporate chia seeds into baked goods, but I’m not quite sure how…can I just take a recipe and add chia seeds, or do you have to alter the recipe otherwise? Do you have any favorites?

Rachel June 27, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Does chia seeds help with weight loss?

Suraya January 20, 2013 at 11:40 am

They might. I saw on the Dr. OZ show how they may help with weight loss. Since they thicken up and form a gel – if taken before meals with a glass full of water, it with thicken up and you’ll feel fuller faster when eating.

Mitzi August 13, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Just bought some! Can’t wait to try this supper food!

Mitzi August 13, 2012 at 10:48 pm

I mean SUPER food!

Fredy George August 30, 2012 at 11:54 pm

My family started having Chia Seeds it’s very good .Now days I am not tired after my days work. Thanks to Chef Win

teeto October 2, 2012 at 11:11 am

just found your post. Very interesting looking forward to trying your pudding.

Gio October 17, 2012 at 4:02 pm

you can buy Chia seeds at COSTCO now – cheapest I’ve found. Great blog btw!

Melissa November 19, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Only at SOME Costco locations; after reading this one, I went to my Tucson location and asked about it; was told that they are not being offered in this region (So.AZ & San Diego area). He also said that it would be in a cycle of rotation with other such items, wherever it’s being offered at Costco, and therefore, would not be available continuously. Those who shop regularly at Costco are accustomed to various items being offered on a rotating basis. SO, if you DO see it at your Costco, grab the opportunity and buy enough to last awhile, so you won’t run out before it’s available there again.

anju November 19, 2012 at 3:06 am

which is better white chia seeds or the black one? can i have chia just on its own?

Mary E December 9, 2012 at 5:39 am

This is made with the Nutribullet but if you don’t have one you can soak the Chia seeds into a semi gel and use a coffee bean grinder to grind up the almonds although they may not “blend” into the “smoothie” and then blend the rest in your blender with 2/3 cup of water and 1 leaf of Kale.

The recipe is from the Nutribullet Blog and belongs to Krista at Nutribuller RD (http://nutribulletblog.com/pineapple-xpress)

“Pineapple Xpress
Here’s what you need:
•Kale (fill tall cup to 50%)
•1 banana
•16 almonds (this is an EXACT science, ok?)
•chia seeds (up to a tablespoon)
•a dash of cinnamon
•2 large pineapple chunks (including core!)
•filtered water (to the max line)

All it takes is a quick spin with the extractor blade, and the Pineapple Xpress is off!”

Irene January 3, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Hi from Canada!
Just discovered your blog (I was googling ACV and you came up) and I am really enjoying your entries! Actually I can really relate to your story.

I bought this chia/hemp/buckwheat seed cereal called Holy Crap (http://holycrap.ca/) for my mother-in-law as a fun gag Christmas gift, because she is celiac. We all got to taste it and it’s actually really delicious! Even my husband has started eating it too, and he’s a picky eater :D

Anyway, thanks for your blog and keep it up!

Brittany Mullins January 3, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Hi Irene,

I’m so glad you found my blog. Thanks for leaving a comment! That Holy Crap cereal sounds really. I’ll have to check it out. :)

Annette January 8, 2013 at 11:30 pm

No one answered the question weather this can help in weight loss?

I saw it on our local news station, and weight loss was mentioned..hope to hear back
Thanks

Brittany Mullins January 9, 2013 at 9:15 am

Hi Annette – I’d suggest reading this article from the NY Times http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/25/health/25really.html?_r=0

Rae February 6, 2013 at 12:38 am

See the article in February 11th Women’s World. It has an article in it about weight loss using Chia.

Kelly February 22, 2013 at 3:05 am

I am yet to try chia seeds but having recently tried quinoa I am on a mission to find healthy alternatives and your recipes have convinced me I need to try chia! I have them on my shopping list – I find the jam recipe intriguing so that’ll be my first thing to attempt – and hopefully convince my 6 year old to try it. BTW I only came across your blog by chance – loving it!

Daisy March 2, 2013 at 11:00 am

Good morning,

I’m researching the book “The Aztek Diet” where the main super-food is CHIA Seeds. This Diet was featured on Dr. Oz’s show several weeks ago. My question to you is, have you seen any significant weight loss since you introduced chia into your diet?

Zaza March 10, 2013 at 9:39 pm

I tried the chia pudding recipe today and it was delicious. I only had regular vanilla almond milk (not unsweetened) so I decided to leave out the stevia. It was really good. Thank you for the recipe. BTW, I really love your website and will definitely try more of your recipes, you have inspired me.

Maria March 26, 2013 at 7:49 am

I’ve never heard of chia seeds before. They look very versatile so I think will add them to my breakfast oats are add to a fruit smoothie. I live in the UK so I’m not sire if there are any local suppliers. I better get looking!

Great post btw!

Tamar April 12, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Just curious: do chia seeds still make the gel if they’re dried or roasted?

Brandon April 27, 2013 at 10:39 pm

Love your post! I’m a long distance runner (who is also vegan) and have recently added chia seeds to my list of must-haves. I will have to try them in a smoothie to see how that works out. I’ve heard that you will definitely need a spoon to eat it though. Anyway, I like to mix chia seed, filtered water, and coconut water (50/50 h20-cocoH20) into a water bottle and take it with me on my long runs. I believe there is something magical about these little kernels. Like you said, brings on a warrior feeling, lol. Maybe I’ve just read to much into it, but I really think they give me more energy and assist my body in recovery before I’m even done with my run. I did a complete write-up of chia seeds here:
I still haven’t tried them but one time in their dry form. I guess I could sprinkle them on salads. I may go ahead and try adding them to my kale smoothies. Thanks for the suggestions and I look forward to reading more from “Eating Bird Food” – Love the name!

Aaron levin May 12, 2013 at 1:16 am

Hi would you say chia is your favorite superfoos? And how much do you eat a day? Thanks

Brittany Mullins May 12, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Yes. I eat 1-2 Tablespoons a day.

Judy June 4, 2013 at 4:23 am

Heard about Chia seeds yesterday and went out and bought some. Didn’t know what to do with them so added to water and ate the resulting gel! Today I am going for surgery so hope the chia gel helps with the recovery. Great to hear you can do so much with them. Am a real Inca fan and have added quinoa to our diet since doing the Inca Trail 11 years ago…

Leslie June 26, 2013 at 1:49 am

I love chia but I don’t know if I am eating way to much I don’t like to drink water and since I started drinking water with chia everything change and I think I use more then 5 tbsp a day does any one knows if its bad

Melanie June 28, 2013 at 6:26 pm

The chia gel will add vital protein, omega 3 fatty acids, fiber, and volume (in the form of water) to your food thus making whatever it is you add it to
much more filling and satisfying. Current research at Appalachian State University is focusing on the role of chia seeds on artery
health. Beans and whole grains include dietary fiber, which might aid reduce cholesterol levels
inside the blood stream.

Vanessa Alexandra July 7, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Brittany, I completely agree. Chia seeds are a huge help to keeping healthy. I generally mix 1-2 tablespoons with water and a bit of fresh squeezed lemon. It makes for a good breakfast when I know I am going to be taxed for a long day.

Bernadette Rennie July 16, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Tried chia seeds for the first time today in a protein shake. Loved them :) Will be using them on a regular basis from now on. :)

Joyce July 24, 2013 at 5:33 pm

I bought some chia seeds today and have put them in some water to soak till tomorrow. I want to make a smoothie with blueberries and bananas. I can’t wait to enjoy it. Love your blog, don’t know how I got here but just love it. Thanks a million.

reyna August 2, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Can I use soy milk instead of almond milk for the pudding

Brittany Mullins August 2, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Sure. It will work just the same. :)

Judy August 31, 2013 at 8:28 pm

I recently made Jello and added chia seeds to it after I had poured the liquid into dishes. Pretty much all of the seeds settled to the bottom. I’m thinking I should let the Jello setup a bit then add the seeds and stir. Any other suggestions as to how I could get my seeds to stay dispersed in the gelatin?

Shanna September 8, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Is this supposed to be one serving? I ask because you say 1-2 tbsp daily and this contains 1/4 cup.

Katrina October 14, 2013 at 10:32 pm

I put chia seeds on my toast with peanut butter and banana in the morning! So good! They’re also FANTASTIC in omelettes to help bind a little better. If you’re in Canada… Bulk Barn sells them (no, they’re not organic)… but a full container is only about $4.00! Amazing!

Tracey December 12, 2013 at 1:24 pm

I have found it incredibly easy to incorporate chia seeds into my diet. I sprinkle it on dry cereal, oatmeal, mashed potatoes, apple sauce, yogurt, etc. I have also been known to just “dip” a banana in a pile of seeds.
Love the added texture.

Soraya December 26, 2013 at 9:58 am

WoW Thanks for the great information! :) Makes me want to get the seeds at store right now!

robin January 11, 2014 at 7:32 pm

I drink chia seeds mixed with my homebrewed water kefir. Its a little fruity a little fizzy, and is packed with probiotics. Its the best drink and it keeps you filled up with all the great jelled seeds. Great start to the day!

Elizabeth March 17, 2014 at 12:46 pm

I didn’t see anyone had asked this yet, but I am trying to figure out how much chia pudding is safe to consume per day. You said 1-2Tbsp dry, but the recipe for the pudding uses 1/4 cup. Is it ok then to eat all the pudding in the recipe? I’m new to eating chia and made a big batch of pudding but don’t want to overdose on it the first day eating it! Any help would be greatly appreciated!