Quinoa Flakes and Play Dates

by on April 9, 2011

Hi friends. I hope you’re having a fabulous weekend! The weather today is chilly and overcast here in VA but luckily, that hasn’t put a damper on my weekend.

This morning’s breakfast was fabulous! I’ve been a big fan of quinoa flakes (and quinoa) for quite some time now so when I saw this Quinoa Flake Bake recipe on FitSugar I knew I needed to try it.

quinoa flake bake.jpg

The recipe was posted by Leanne of Healthful Pursuit and if you haven’t had a chance to check out her blog, I’d highly recommend it. She has some amazing recipes and beautiful photos.

After I spotted this recipe I realized I didn’t have any apple sauce on hand. No problemo! I just changed things up a bit and made a banana quinoa flake bake with a few different ingredients.

mini bananas.JPG

PS – How cute are this mini bananas? Random fact – I’m a sucker for all things miniature.

quinoa flake bake copy.jpg

Banana Quinoa Flake Bake

Inspired by the Healthful Pursuit’s 5 Minute Apple Quinoa Flake Bake

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup quinoa flakes (I used Ancient Harvest)
  • 1/2 banana, sliced (or 1 mini banana)
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 1 T plain Greek Yogurt
  • 1/2 T of chia seeds
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 4 drops of liquid stevia

Preparation:

1. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and stir until everything is well incorporated.
  2. Prepare a microwave safe bowl with non-stick spray (or use coconut oil to coat the bowl).
  3. Place the mixture into the prepared bowl and use a spoon to even out the top.
  4. Put the dish in the microwave and cook for about 3 1/2 minutes. It’s done once it rises and starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl.
  5. Eat it straight from the bowl or let it rest for 1 minute before turning it over on to serving bowl or plate.
  6. Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!

I spread on some almond butter and sprinkled chia seeds and blueberries on top. Then I added a splash of maple syrup, which was a great addition. The whole time I felt like I was a eating a thick and fluffy pancake!

Overall, I think the quinoa flake bake is a a great breakfast option – it’s quick, packed with protein and easy to change up the flavors and toppings so you won’t get bored. The real testament – it kept me full for over 4 hours!

In other news, last night was a blast. Isaac was out of town (picking up his new car!!) so Olive and I had girl’s night.

A friend of mine brought over Bear, who looks like she could be Olive’s sister. <– Especially if Olive hadn’t got her hair cut this week!

IMG_0191.JPG

They had an amazing time playing together while Elle and I whipped up an easy dinner.

mango keylime fish.JPG

On the menu: baked halibut marinated in a local mango keylime sauce and topped with fresh mango and cilantro along with a side of brown rice and broccoli. Yum!

Wa ate, chatted, laughed at Mod Fam and Youtube videos while the dogs romped around and played tug-a-war.

tug-of-war.JPG

Once we got bored with that we went and got Sweet Frog. I’m telling you, living 1 block from a fro yo place is dangerous. :) T’was a grand Friday evening!

Now it’s time to check out Isaac’s new ride and get ready for dinner.

Sana April 9, 2011 at 4:41 pm

All fro-yo is dangerous!!

Kaite @ Nourishing Flourishing April 9, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I will definitely be trying a quinoa flake bake after seeing this! It looks like a fluffy pancake…mmm :) Have a lovely weekend.

Lauren April 9, 2011 at 5:00 pm

The bake looks fabulous!! I use to buy the mini bananas all the time but then I realized that they taste different than the big ones. Maybe it’s me though?

Eating Bird Food April 9, 2011 at 5:03 pm

I totally agree. They taste, heartier – almost like a plantain to me. Is that how they taste to you?

L April 9, 2011 at 11:15 pm

sorry to butt in – but I totally agree, those babies taste different the regular bananas, more dense? I always thought I was alone on this so I am glad I read this :)

sarah (sarah learns) April 9, 2011 at 6:00 pm

aww, olive & her little friend are too cute together! :) i WISH i lived close to a fro-yo place! i’m addicted…

megan @ the oatmeal diaries April 9, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Ooh! Saving this recipe!!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit April 9, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Chia seeds sprinkled on top is such a great idea. I’ll have to try that next time I make it [which will probably be tomorrow, I love those bakes so much!] Thanks for the mention, and the kind words :) Olive has to be one of the cutest dogs ever!

Eating Bird Food April 10, 2011 at 9:51 am

Thank you for the recipe inspiration!!

Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher April 9, 2011 at 9:24 pm

GAH, I think I mentioned to you that I’m still thinking about sweet frog from when I visited VA last month!

BroccoliHut April 9, 2011 at 10:52 pm

I love all things miniature too–perhaps that’s why I find fun size Halloween candy so irresistible?

Eating Bird Food April 10, 2011 at 9:50 am

That’s how I feel about travel size products. :)

Mimi (Gingersnaps) April 10, 2011 at 9:34 am

Gaaah, I keep seeing these quinoa flakes but I’m not in the country to try them out!

By the way, I started reading your blog after Lynn @ The Actors Diet posted about your coconut protein balls. Would using a mix of coconut oil and shredded coconut work in place of coconut butter? These Brits haven’t discovered it yet, even though I’ve seen some at exclusive trade shows.

Eating Bird Food April 10, 2011 at 9:49 am

Hi Mimi. I’m not 100% sure if that substitution would work, but it doesn’t hurt to try it. :) Let me know if you do!

Casey April 10, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Oh, I do love Sweet Frog. And puppy play dates. Sounds like a perfect evening.

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) April 10, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Yummy breakfast bake!! I wish I had quinoa flakes, I only have the actual grains :(

Salah (My Healthiest Lifestyle) April 10, 2011 at 4:15 pm

omg that quinoa flake bake looks soooo awesome!!!

Lisa @ Early Morning Run April 10, 2011 at 6:56 pm

This breakfast bake sounds so delicious/easy! I love quinoa but have never had quinoa flour. I imagine Whole Foods sells it? Thanks for the recipe, I definitely have to give it a try.

Eating Bird Food April 10, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Yup, Whole Foods definitely has the quinoa flakes! I hope you like the bake.

Natalia - a side of simple April 11, 2011 at 10:30 am

I saw that same quinoa flake bake recipe last night! Bad idea to go on Fitsugar right before you get into bed. I was thinking about it all night and wished I had some quinoa flakes to replicate it this morning! Mission today: buy quinoa flakes!

kate@ahealthypassion April 11, 2011 at 11:17 am

added quinoa flakes to my shopping list thanks for posting :)

francesca @ oral hcg April 12, 2011 at 7:36 am

Wow, I am interested in trying out quinoa :D Your Banana Quinoa Flake Bake looks really delicious I am drooling right now, :D Anyway, Olive and Bear are sooo cute!

Stacy October 7, 2013 at 9:02 am

I made this today and it was yummy! Do you know if you can make it without the yogurt? I always have the other ingredients, but I’m the only one who eats Greek yogurt so I usually just buy single servings for lunch. Today I used a Tbsp from the one I plan on eating later but it would be easier to just omit it. Wondering if it would change the consistency.