Udon Noodle Success

by on January 7, 2011

This week went by rather quickly, which was nice, but I’m still super pumped that today is Friday – anyone else feeling the same way?

I didn’t get around to blogging last night so I’ll go ahead start with yesterday’s highlights! First thing first, I went to the gym and did a 30 minute cardio workout along with 30 minutes of legs. It’s nice because the plan I’m following as part of Team HEAB doesn’t require a lot of equipment and it’s much different than what I typically have been doing at the gym as of late, which was very apparent by the amount of sweat I excreted.

Moving right along… last night’s dinner was FABULOUS!

udon noodles in miso broth.jpg

A few weeks ago I ask you all for recommendations of what to make from Veganomicon and last night I finally got around to making one of the recipes!

Udon with Shiitake Mushrooms, sweet potato and Kale in Miso Broth.JPG

I only changed a few things from the original recipe (i.e coconut oil instead of vegetable oil and 1 tbsp less as well as the addition of the sweet potatoes for a little more color) and overall, the dish was delicious!! The flavor and texture of the sauteed vegetables paired so nicely with the noodles and miso broth. I love miso soup so it’s no surprise that the broth was tasty. I also liked that it was easy enough to make on a weeknight after work!

I’ll also note that I’ve never had udon noodles before, but I really liked their dense texture. I’m not a huge pasta fan but these noodles are great because they’re low in fat and a good sources of dietary fiber, protein, and iron.

This was most definitely a Veganomicon success considering I’m already excited to have the leftovers for lunch today!

The rest of my eats on Thursday were pretty typical:

Overnight oats with chia seeds for breakfast, which were only “soaked” for 1 hour this morning while I was at the gym. Now the secret is out, overnight oats don’t necessarily have to set up overnight! :)

overnight oats.JPG

Lunch was a bowl of TJ’s low sodium roasted red pepper and tomato soup topped with seaweed gomasio,

IMG_8777.JPG

carrots, hummus and toast.

IMG_8778.JPG

Not sure what’s on the agenda today after work. I’m headed to the gym this morning so my workout will be done! Maybe Isaac and I will have an impromptu date night. :)

Enjoy your Friday!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 7, 2011 at 7:45 am

Go Team HEAB! :) Those mountain climbers had me sweating yesterday. They are hard!

Your dinner sounds right up my alley as I love sweet potatoes, kale, and miso. I’ve had udon noodles but never cooked with them myself. Bookmarking this one – thanks! :)

I think date night sounds lovely. Have fun if you go and happy weekend Brittany!

Christin@purplebirdblog January 7, 2011 at 10:16 am

I LOVE udon noodles!! That texture is just heavenly!

christina January 7, 2011 at 10:43 am

this is fabulous! i love udon noodles..so thick!!

Maddie January 7, 2011 at 11:33 am

I’ve never had udon noodles before but they sound great! I recently purchased Veganomicon so I will have to try this one out!

Clare @ Fitting It All In January 7, 2011 at 11:45 am

Wow that recipe looks awesome. I don’t normally make pasta, but that could be an exception! And good call adding sweet potato…they make everything better.

Kelly January 7, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Yay for Friday. I think I am on the opposite end as you, I love pasta and probably too much. I’ve been doing a lot of veggie noodles instead lately (i.e. using my spiraler to make veggie noodles) but then saw a tip on the hungry girl to do 1/2 veggie noodles (in her case spaghetti squash) and half regular noodles which I may try from now on.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 7, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Love the udon & miso soup! You are a professional with soup like that, I tell ya!

Enjoy your weekend and yes, I am ready for it! :)

Cait @ A Bicycle Built for Two January 7, 2011 at 2:47 pm

The noodles look great-I’m going to try the recipe next week sometime :) Hope you get your date night-they are the best!

Stacey January 7, 2011 at 3:00 pm

My week went by really quickly too, perhaps because it was only a four day week?! Your eats all look fabulous.

Teri [a foodie stays fit] January 7, 2011 at 5:06 pm

I’ve never cooked with Udon noodles. Are they in the dry section by other pasta? Or refrigerated? I’ve also never used miso – apparently I need to branch out! :)

Eating Bird Food January 7, 2011 at 6:00 pm

I found them in the dry section at Whole Foods, on the international isle. :)

BroccoliHut January 7, 2011 at 8:28 pm

I’ve never cooked with udon, but I love them so much at restaurants. I have veganomicon on my shelf, so maybe I’ll give this recipe a try!

The Healthy Apple January 7, 2011 at 8:35 pm

I love seaweed gomasio…I sprinkle it on everything, hehe…
Have a great weekend, Brit!
xo

Mary @ Bites and Bliss January 7, 2011 at 9:13 pm

That dish sounds incredible! I’m not a huge fan of noodles, but I’d slurp that right up!

Candy (Healthy in Candy Land) January 8, 2011 at 1:02 am

Veganomicon is my very favorite vegan cookbook! Every recipe I’ve tried so far has been really good. I haven’t made this one yet, but now I want to–it sounds great!

Sandra January 8, 2011 at 1:20 pm

It looks fabulous..I love the photos!

Sara January 9, 2011 at 5:58 pm

The udon looks delicious! Do you think yellow miso would work in this recipe instead of white miso? I have a lot of yellow miso left to use up!

Eating Bird Food January 9, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Hi Sara. I think the yellow miso would work great!