New Year, New You

by on January 2, 2011

I’m not the biggest fan of New Year’s resolutions. I certainly think that they can work for some people, as the start of a new year can be a good time to refocus your goals and look back on the things you’ve accomplished over the past year, but I don’t see the need to wait until January 1 to make changes. If there’s something I want to change, I like to start making strides toward changing it right away rather than waiting for a specific and arbitrary date to get started.

That said I do have a few goals for 2011 and I plan to get started on them right away. The inspiration board I made a few months ago shows my vision…

inspiration board.JPG

I have several goals in all aspects of my life but since this blog is focused on health living, here are my health goals for 2011. Some of these goals I’ve been working on for a few months and plan to continue them in 2011 and some are brand new. With all of them, I wanted to make a deadline or time to reassess because sometimes goals can slip away if you aren’t tracking and evaluating your progress.

1. Stretch: I’ve never been one to take much time to stretch. Physical therapy has taught me that stretching is important to keep my body in alignment and that I need to make daily stretching a priority, especially when sitting at a desk all day. (Everyday goal.)
  2. Get in better shape: I’m at a healthy weight for my body but I want to feel better in my clothes (see number 5) and see more muscle definition. To do this I’ll focus on strength training and interval training. I recently purchased the Core Fusion Collection and I also joined in a Blogger Charity Contest (Go Team HEAB). I plan in incorporate those DVDs and the program provided by Lindsey. This will keep my body guessing and keep me motivated. (I plan to reassess this goal in 6 weeks.)
  3. Eat less sugar: Since the holidays I’ve been craving sweet foods and wanting dessert after lunch and dinner. Overall, I’d like to cut back on my consumption of sugar and I think that will help decrease the cravings. To keep track of this, I plan to start keeping a food journal again, either written or digital. (I want to try to do this for the month of January and see how my body responds.)
  4. Love myself and banish negative body comments: I will focus on loving my body, feeling good in my skin and appreciating what my body allows me to do each and every day. Confidence is key!! (Everyday goal.)
  5. Fit in my new (and old) jeans: Over the past few months, all my jeans have been feeling tight and there are even a few pairs that I’ve just been avoiding all together because I knew they would be too snug to wear comfortably right now. Then last month I won a pair of Seven for All Mankind jeans on Twitter so I ordered the size that I normally wear. Well… I can get them on, but they don’t really zip and they definitely don’t button. I’ve wanted a pair of Seven jeans for over 5 years and now that I have them I can’t wear them. :/  Needless to say, “Project Fit into my Jeans” needs to start ASAP. I want to get back to eating real foods, drinking enough water, eating less sugar (#3), and focusing on exercise to get in better shape (#2). (I plan to reevaluate this goal in 6 weeks).

Overall I’m very excited for the year ahead – all of my goals (both health and personal) are fully obtainable. All I need to do is put my mind to it!

I’m sure many of you have set goals for yourself as well so here’s a few quotes to keep us all motivated.

• “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” -Winston Chruchill
  • “Goals are not only absolutely necesary to motivate us. They are essential to really keep us alive.” -Robert H. Schuller
  • “Man is a goal seeking animal. His life only has meaning if he is reaching out and striving for his goals.” – Aristotle

What’s your favorite motivational quote?

meeso January 2, 2011 at 2:33 pm

“If you don’t know where you are going, you’ll end up someplace else.” – Yogi Berra

I’m really enjoying your blog and I’m right there with you on the jeans getting a bit snug! It’s a goal of mine since I refuse to buy more jeans… I’ll just make my body fit into what I already have. Saves money, and keeps the body healthy :)

Eating Bird Food January 2, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Thanks Meeso! Here’s to you and I both fitting back in our jeans. :)

Lauren January 2, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I love the picture of the yoga pose on your board…so cool & inspirational! My favorite motivational quote is “pain is temporary, pride is forever”

Monica January 2, 2011 at 3:46 pm

I wish I had that board up on my wall, it’s so inspiring, and it totally looks like something that I would see in LuluLemon.

Eating Bird Food January 2, 2011 at 3:58 pm

I made it at a Lululemon Vision Board party! :)

Maddie January 2, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Great goals! I love your inspirational board. I will have to make one. I have many favorite quotes. One of them is, “It’s never too late to be what you might have been.” Happy new year!

Lauren @ vegology January 2, 2011 at 3:59 pm

A quote that has always made me feel powerful over my circumstances is “Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.” – George Bernard Shaw
Happy New Year and good luck with your positive changes!

Kath January 2, 2011 at 4:08 pm

You perfectly described my jeans conundrum too :(

Tracy January 2, 2011 at 4:44 pm

I have the exact same jeans problem and cannot wait to fit back in!

Gillian January 2, 2011 at 4:48 pm

These are wonderful goals! I find lunges with the jeans really help. I also usually start the New Year wearing a lot of loose dresses and leggings :)

Melissa @ TryingToHeal January 2, 2011 at 4:55 pm

i keep meaning to make a board like that, because i know i have all the pictures! i tear apart magazines all the time! yours looks great and so do your goals! i’m sure you’ll do great!

Andrea January 2, 2011 at 6:52 pm

“Begin each day as if it were on purpose.” – Mary Anne Radmacher
Happy New Year and GO TEAMHEAB!

Lauren January 2, 2011 at 7:18 pm

HAPPY NEW YEAR SWEET HEART!!!

You have wonderful goals. I know that you must feel like fitting into those jeans will be a great feeling, but I have to say, I think you look AMAZING!!! Good luck and I support you 100% but if for some reason you realize that goal isn’t as fun as reaching the other ones, just remember you can always change it to state “accepting a new jean size and LOVING myself because of it!”

Love you girl!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine January 2, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Just made my inspiration board too!! Funny enough, my jeans aren’t fitting too well anymore either. I’m upping the strength training because whenever I do my clothes just fit so much better, and I FEEL better as well. Good luck in 2011!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun January 2, 2011 at 8:36 pm

I really want to get back into shape after I have this baby. That’s my biggest fitness goal. A lot of little things go into it too though – like running my first race. I’m so ready to get started. Should only be a couple more weeks until this baby is out though.

Kelly January 2, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Sugar cravings seems to be a reoccurring theme in blog world lately. Definitely makes me feel better since I’ve been struggling with this myself in the past few weeks. Good luck with your goals!

BroccoliHut January 2, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Great goals! I love your inspiration board.

Clare @ Fitting It All In January 2, 2011 at 9:23 pm

I’ve got the same thing goin on with my favorite pair of jeans. They are just a wee bit snug, and while I don’t need to lose any weight I would love to tone up and feel better in them! Good luck!

Kelsi January 2, 2011 at 9:24 pm

This is a great idea. I don’t really like making New Year’s Resolutions because I never seem to keep them. Making an inspiration board is a nice tweak on the resolution tradition and hopefully one that will make me stick to my goals.

Krystina (Basil & Wine) January 2, 2011 at 10:46 pm

You’re not the only one who can’t fit in her jeans. I’ve been avoiding wearing mine because I know they’ll be tight. We can do it!

Courtney January 3, 2011 at 7:01 am

I am in the same boat as you with jeans. This may or may not be helpful, but you can usually find Seven for All Mankind jeans at a reasonable price at Clementine. ; )

Christin@purplebirdblog January 3, 2011 at 10:49 am

My jeans too are a bit snug at the moment, and I am already laying a path to get back to comfortable again! I love the support in the blog community for this! :)

Alicia H. January 3, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Your inspiration board idea is great. I think I might need to make one of my one.

Happy New Year and here’s to fitting into new and old jeans! I definitely have a few pairs I am avoiding since the holiday season!

Rachael January 3, 2011 at 5:30 pm

I’m not particularly religious, so I do some substituting on this one, but here you go: “Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

Nicole (Making Good Choices) January 3, 2011 at 8:48 pm

I need to update my vision board, yours looks so good. I need to get away from the sweets too, I have been a bit out of control too.
Email me when you want to chat about the health history ! :)

sophia January 3, 2011 at 9:28 pm

All my inspirational, motivational quotes come from the bible and my dad. I should compile them and read them from time to time to motivate myself whenever things get down.

I’m not fond of the word “resolution” either, but I still use them because that’s the common term. :-)

Monet January 4, 2011 at 12:20 am

This is a great post to begin the year with. I love the goal mentality. I don’t make resolutions, but I do like to begin the new year with purpose! Your inspiration board is a great idea. I may need to get clipping and pasting tomorrow morning. Thank you for sharing with me. I hope you have a happy Tuesday!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] January 4, 2011 at 1:22 am

I can relate to each and every goal. I’m right there with you!

Christine (The Raw Project) January 4, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Agreed on resolutions, change should happen when needed. Great goals for the new year!

Jaina January 9, 2011 at 1:15 am

I have just stumbled across your blog and absolutely love it! I can’t wait to put together a grocery list for some of these great recipes! I tend to have a little trouble staying focused on my goals, so my favorite quote that has helped me through the years is:
“I will not sacrifice what I want MOST for what I want in the MOMENT.”
Thanks for the great blog and ideas! You’re an inspiration!

Eating Bird Food January 9, 2011 at 9:51 am

Hi Jaina. Thank you so much for your kind words and please let me know if you enjoy the recipes that you try.

I LOVE that quote. I think I need to write that one down for myself!!

Sandra January 9, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Well, I wish you the best! I know that you can make those goals come true with just a little bit of motivation! Good luck!!