Hummus and Avocado Cakes- The Best Snack of Summer 2010

by on July 28, 2010

I had the best dinner tonight! It was pieced together with two very interesting items (note that Isaac wasn’t home for this dinner), but it’s way too good not to share with you all.

1.) Baked sweet potato with cottage cheese and ketchup.

IMG_5873.JPG

I know it sounds odd, but if you’ve been reading EBF for a while you’ll know I really like this combo and if you’ve tried it for yourself, you’ll know that despite how crazy it sounds/looks, it’s quite delicious.

IMG_5874.JPG

I have the lovely Jenn from Eating Bender to thank for introducing me to it!

2.) Hummus and Avocado Cake

IMG_5870.JPG

I told you it was an interesting dinner…

IMG_5871.JPG

Although I would love to, I can’t take the credit for coming up with this delicious treat – my friend Laurel actually told me about this little combo, and I can’t be completely positive, but it might just be the “it” snack for summer 2010!

IMG_5872.JPG

Hummus and Avocado Cakes (2 cakes)

• 2 brown rice cakes (I used Lundberg)
  • 2 tbsp. garlic hummus (Sabra is my fav)
  • 1/2 of an avocado, sliced
  • cayenne pepper, to taste

Spread an even amount of hummus over the rice cakes, top each with 3 slices of avocado (about 1/4 of an avocado on each cake) and smash it a little to spread it out, sprinkle on the cayenne pepper ( I like it HOTT) and enjoy!

In other exciting news, the Candy Valley Cake Pops winner is #33, Anna!

annawinner.jpeg

Congrats lady. Shoot me an email (eatingbirdfood at gmail dot com) and your dozen Cake Pops will be on their way!

While Anna jumps up and down after finding out she’s won, I think I’ll do Somersaults.

IMG_5863.JPG

And by do, I mean eat them. Actually, I’ve been snacking on these a lot today- after both lunch and dinner. They are small baked treats made with toasted whole grains and sunflower seeds. I like the not-too-sweet chocolate flavor of the chez cocoa variety and the crunch factor. With the first ingredient being sunflower seeds, they’re different than any other snack item I’ve ever tried. If I had to describe what the chez cocoa somersaults are most similar to, I’d say mini cookies- only they are better because the ingredient list is short and they provide a good amount of both protein and fiber.

IMG_5864.JPG

I haven’t tried the other flavors yet – s.s. sea salt, salty pepper, and santa fe salsa, but you can bet I’ll be digging into those later this week.

The Somersault Snack Co. sent me these to review, but just so you know, I only state my true feelings about the products I review. In addition, I only accept products for review that I would be interested in buying myself if I saw them in the store. Speaking of which, I’ve seen these snacks at my local Whole Foods and you can always “like” Somersault Snack Co. on facebook for a possible chance to win a summertime snack giveaway.

Alrighty, I’m off to bed folks. It’s been a long day – we moved offices at work so I actually did more than sit on tush for 8 hours. It felt great to move a bit while at work, but now I’m sleepy.

Sweet dreams (of hummus and avocado cakes) to you!

-Brittany

Run Sarah July 28, 2010 at 10:02 pm

I am a recent cottage cheese addict – cant wait to try that combo! I also love hummus on rice cakes, but avocado is an awesome way to add a bit of healthy fat, can’t wait to try it.

Casey @ Chasing Casey July 28, 2010 at 10:02 pm

I got a free sample of all the flavors of somersaults. They’re actually pretty good! Very crunchy and decent flavor.

Pure2Raw Twins July 28, 2010 at 10:32 pm

Avocado and hummus – interesting. I will have to give that a try sometimes because I love both!

*Andrea* July 28, 2010 at 10:38 pm

the hummus avocado cakes look divine!!!! what a perfect meal and/or snack!

Jessie (Bites and Pieces) July 28, 2010 at 11:40 pm

Avocado and hummus go together so well, what a perfect snack! Those somersault cookies look yummy. :)

Gabriela @ Fro-Yo Lover July 28, 2010 at 11:43 pm

Both combos SOUND and LOOK delicious!
Can´t wait to try the sweet potato+CC+ketchup on my own, though… :D

Monet July 29, 2010 at 1:50 am

I am going to trust you and give both of these a try. I never would have thought to put those ingredients together but now that you’ve mentioned it….it sounds pretty darn good!

Jessica @ How Sweet July 29, 2010 at 6:34 am

I can imagine how delicious it is! I love avocado and hummus on toast, but I bet it would be better with crunchy rice cakes!

Lauren July 29, 2010 at 6:58 am

I just wrote a post on weird food combinations! I get so many comments on how odd my food tastes are but I just see them as creative! ;)

holly @ couchpotatoathlete July 29, 2010 at 7:42 am

Those cakes look awesome! I definitely like avocado, and hummus, and rice cakes, but I never would have put them together. I do like my sweet potatoes just plain so I don’t know if I would risk a good sweet potato by putting something on it! :)

Congrats Anna on winning the pops!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) July 29, 2010 at 7:46 am

Yum, looks like a great snack!

xo
Kris

Faith @ LovelyAsCharged July 29, 2010 at 8:08 am

The chocolate ones look AWESOME! I think any snack with avocado is a winner, btw, and when you put hummus on the same bite? WIN!

Diana @ VEGeneration July 29, 2010 at 8:12 am

YES!!! Hummus and avocado is THE winning combo ;)

Katie @ Health for the Whole Self July 29, 2010 at 9:28 am

First time commenter here!

Just wanted to say that the hummus and avocado cake combo sounds great!!! Not so sure on the sweet potato-cottage cheese-ketchup thing, but I’d like to give it a shot!

sian-girlgetstrong July 29, 2010 at 10:37 am

I have had that exact same sweet potatoe but with salsa….so yummy! TY for sharing!

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com July 29, 2010 at 11:01 am

you make rice cakes looks extremely delicious! thats not easy to do!

xoxo <3

Justine July 29, 2010 at 3:48 pm

I find that I’m most creative with my meals when the boyfriend is gone. They are usually such a hit that I almost feel bad being the only one to enjoy it! The meal you had is a combinationof four of my favorite things! :)

janetha g. July 29, 2010 at 4:16 pm

i looove that SP combo! actually i eat the 3 together along with a healthy dollop of sunbutter. try it!

ive gotta give those avocado cakes a try. yum.

xoxo

Jessica July 29, 2010 at 5:58 pm

That snack sounds amazing! You know I like it hot :) And the avocado/hummus combo is always perfection….will be trying that (and the sweet p/cc/ketchup combo) soon!

Rachael July 29, 2010 at 7:08 pm

Sweet potatoes are the perfect vehicle for so many toppings – one of my favorites is corn and almond butter, with a sprinkling of salt. So good!

BroccoliHut July 29, 2010 at 10:09 pm

I’ve had sweet potato with cottage cheese many a-time, but I always seem to go the sweet route. Next time I’ll venture to the savory side.
Hummus and guac is one of my all time favorite sandwich combos, so I bet I would love those cakes!

Chelsea (Chelsea's Chew and Run Fun) July 30, 2010 at 2:38 am

Thank you for those two unusual yet delicious looking food combos. I haven’t had a rice cake in ages, but your fun spin on how to top them might make me throw some in the cart next time I’m at the grocery store!

Kat (Bubble Gum Gym Kat) July 30, 2010 at 12:02 pm

I am totally doing that to my sweet potato!!! Yummmm! I actually put cottage cheese and ketchup on my eggs.

Sandra E July 30, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Jesus Christ I’m really starting to get hungry here… it’s the avocado :)