Kaput

by on November 12, 2009

Look what I found on my desk when I walked into work this morning!?!

IMG_2478.JPG

How sweet was it that a co-worker that I recently told about the blog brought in Farmer John’s Cookbook- The Real Dirt on Vegetables for me? (Thanks Kate!) Of course I’ve already read through it and I’m super excited to try some of the recipes. The best part is that the cookbook is written by a farmer, John, who harvests for a CSA. Yes, he is wearing a boa on the cover, and I’m still not sure why. However, the book is awesome- it highlights stories from the farm shareholders, offers a list of what vegetables are in season when and has recipes categorized by vegetable. It’s perfect for someone that is part of a CSA as you could find out storage and handling details, culinary uses, and plenty of recipes for unusual veggies like Kohlrabi, Daikon, and Celeriac.

For breakfast this morning I took a break from the norm (oats) and had a bowl of quinoa flakes. I’ve had them once before long ago (almost 1 year!) and wasn’t hooked so this box has been sitting in my pantry since then. (YIKES) Something made me try them again. Let’s be honest, it was because I was out of bananas for my standard banana whipped oatmeal/oat bran combo.

IMG_2475.JPG IMG_2476.JPG

I’m glad I gave them a second chance! This bowl was made with 1/3 cup of the flakes, 1/2 cup almond milk, 1/2 cup water, and 3 drops of liquid stevia, and it was delightful. Smooth, creamy, sweet (from the pumpkin butter and stevia), and full of protein! The best part about quinoa flakes is that they are gluten free (holla back celiacs!) and they are a complete protein source (holla back vegetarians!) Try em out!!

In other news, my head phones broke. The worst part is that they stopped working about 10 minutes into my 5 hour flight to CA last week. I was kicking myself for not accepting Isaac’s offer for me to bring his BOSE noise canceling headphones just as I found out that US Airways doesn’t offer headsets. I was not a happy camper.

IMG_2472.JPG

So these are the Nike Aero headphones that went kaput. They cost $39.99 from Target, which I thought was pretty pricey for a pair of workout headphones so I expected them to last…

Now, maybe I’m just spoiled because my last pair (Phillips) lasted all throughout college and 2 years after (that’s 6 years folks!) and they actually still played music when I bought the new ones- they had just become too dingy to wear in public.

I tried to find a similar pair of Philips but couldn’t so I settled with the Nike Aero Sport. They seemed promising- sweat proof, sleek, and a wrap around the ear design. I’ve never been a huge ear bud fan- they never fit in my ears, always fall out, and are uncomfortable so I figured these were a good bet.

They ended up being fine- comfortable and good for a person like me that sweats a lot. The music quality was quite awful, but they were for working out so I didn’t mind that much. However, now I’m more convinced that $40.00 was too much to spend, because they only lasted 9 months!

I made a stop by Target last night to grab a new pair before hitting up the gym.

IMG_2474.JPG

I know I know, I said I didn’t like ear buds but these caught my eye as they were only $20.00 and are specifically designed for smaller ears. Since I was headed to the gym after Target I was able to try the buds out right away. They fit well, sounded better than my old ones and take up less space in my bag. Overall, I’m pretty stoked about finding a pair of ear buds that actually fit. This was a quick trial run because I only wore them for about 15 minutes while walking on the treadmill. I’m nervous to see if they hurt my ear after a prolonged period of time, but I have high hopes that they wont!

I still have my receipt from the aero headphones and I’m trying to decided if it’s been too long to take them back – I just think headphones should last more than a year- at least!

Do you wear headphones when you workout? If so, what type?How much would you spend on headphones and how long should they last?

- Brittany

PS I just had the BEST dinner I’ve had in a while (well, since last Saturday- haha) – I can’t wait to share the recipe tomorrow!!

VeggieGirl November 12, 2009 at 10:38 pm

I just use the headphones that came standard with my iPod :) Hope those last for ya!

emily November 12, 2009 at 10:38 pm

I’m so glad you showed us those, I have small ears and the buds drive me crazy!

janetha November 12, 2009 at 10:39 pm

haha love the boa! classy. how nice of your co-worker. ohhh i use skullcandy smokin’ ear buds and they have a lifetime warranty! and i paid $10 for them. love them. i do like headphones when i am snowboarding though. more functional with the gloves and all. but buds when i am working out. cant wait to see the dinner recipe!

Sammi November 12, 2009 at 10:44 pm

My dad’s a pilot for usairways :) that sucks that they don’t give you free headphones though :(

I just get the cheap kinds because i’m not too careful with my headphones. I just bought some new ones at fye yesterday but I haven’t even taken them out of the package yet. They were on sale so I got them. I don’t listen to music when I run outside because I run with my dad or mom so I don’t get bored but I listen to the tv when I go to the ymca so headphones are a must for that. I’ll have to post about the headphones when I actually get around to using them! I never expect them to last very long though.

Stephanie November 12, 2009 at 10:50 pm

That cookbook looks fantastic, and what a sweet gesture that was :) Can’t wait to see some recipes outta that one soon! As for quinoa flakes, I didn’t even know that these existed?? Very interesting… I may have to give them a chance as well.

I am so glad you had such a nice trip to the West Coast too, I really enjoyed reading about the adventure. We need to try to meet up again sometime soon for lunch or something, I’d love to catch up and hear more about it!

Nicci November 12, 2009 at 11:29 pm

Yay, you’ve got an awesome co-worker! looks like a great read!

Meghan@traveleatlove November 12, 2009 at 11:33 pm

My headphones also broke on the way to the foodbuzz Fest!
Quinoa is great, I have also written about amaranth for breakfast. Cinnamon, ground nutmeg, soymilk, almond butter, and amaranth. Yom.

Magda Bresson November 13, 2009 at 12:13 am

I feel your pain with the headphones! I can never find a good pair for working out that don’t break within a couple weeks (maybe my ears sweat too much?) Best of luck with your new ones!

BroccoliHut November 13, 2009 at 12:36 am

Uh oh. You should NOT have told me about quinoa flakes–I don’t have any more room in my pantry for my hot cereal addiction!

Maya November 13, 2009 at 12:49 am

I usually buy anything technology related on Amazon. That way I get to see the costumer reviews and find the best bang for my buck. I got Sennheiser headphones, they are known for their quality and I got a pair made for sports. They aren’t earbuds, but ear buds never stay in my ears!

Quinoa flakes sound delicious!

maria November 13, 2009 at 1:28 am

Didn’t know that they made ear buds for smaller ears. I have always wanted to be able to wear them, but have never had much luck. They either hurt my ears or slip out when I sweat while working out. :( Glad to see you found something and hope they continue to work well.

I personally like the wrap-around the ear headphones. Makes it easier to workout.

Katie November 13, 2009 at 7:55 am

I am always buying new earbuds. I have some from Skull Candy right now that work pretty well, but I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before they stop working. Ugh. It’s a neverending battle.

Quinoa flakes? Hmm. I’ve seen them at Whole Foods before but never really thought about buying them. Might have to try them out!

Whitney @ Lettuce Love November 13, 2009 at 8:02 am

I want to check out that book!

christie, honoring health November 13, 2009 at 8:13 am

I try not to spend more than $10 or $15 because they always kink up or my cats find them and chew them to bits. I don’t buy the ear buds kind because they hurt! I am the dork in the gym wearing the 90′s style with the black foam. Yeah, that’s me.

Stacy(Eating To Live Love Laugh Tri) November 13, 2009 at 8:49 am

I am totally going to try the quinoa flakes. Do you think they would be good mixed with oats in a 50/50 ratio?

Eating Bird Food November 13, 2009 at 7:02 pm

I definitely think the combo would work, you’d just have to work out the logistics of cooking because the flakes only take 90 seconds.

Deva (Voracious Vorilee) November 13, 2009 at 8:54 am

I am currently using a pair of nike sport buds that fit over my ears, although most recently I’ve been using the ear buds that came with my iPod. Sometimes I borrow a pair of The Boy’s noise-cancelling ear buds – they came with interchangeable covers, which is awesome, which work really well for me :-)

Abby's Vegan Eats November 13, 2009 at 8:56 am

I want that cookbook!!!

Jordan @ Salt Sweat Sugar November 13, 2009 at 8:57 am

They most likely have at least a one year warranty on them. Call the manufacturer and see what your options are.

Paige November 13, 2009 at 9:01 am

That was SO nice of your co worker.
I love Sony’s ear buds!! They actually *stay in* your ears when running, too :)

K November 13, 2009 at 10:07 am

Maybe quinoa flakes will be my next breakfast obsession? They look so creamy and delicious! I can’t wait to see what your dinner was! I’m not a big ear bud girl but I have a pair of cheapy, pink ones that get the job done.

PS. I like your new picture on the side – you look great!!

Eating Bird Food November 13, 2009 at 6:58 pm

Thanks K!!!

Lizzy November 13, 2009 at 10:30 am

i always have problems with headphones i feel. my pair that comes with my ipod don’t ever stay in my ears. I have another pair that i do wear but i’m not sure of the brand or even where i got them, but honestly i don’t think headphones should cost that much, and i think target should take back the ones that broke, because your right they should last for longer then a year for sure!

Kelly from Bridges and Bites November 13, 2009 at 10:40 am

I have such a hard time finding headphones I like! Normally I just use the standard iPod headphones, but they hurt my ears after awhile.

brandi November 13, 2009 at 11:02 am

that cookbook looks so good!

I don’t listen to music anymore…I don’t know why, but I don’t!

Camile November 13, 2009 at 11:13 am

Left you a surprise on my blog!

Emily (A Nutritionist Eats) November 13, 2009 at 11:37 am

I have been wanting to try those quinoa flakes! I’ll have to pick them up next time. I use the ear buds that come with Ipod, but then I have little pieces that fit over to make them smaller? I guess – I can’t use just the buds. My BF works for Best Buy corporate and gets them all the time! Let me know if you ever need any ;)

Eating Bird Food November 13, 2009 at 6:56 pm

Definitely try the Quinoa flakes. They’re a fun way to switch up breakfast. So cool that you have the headphone hook up! :)

Laurie November 13, 2009 at 12:01 pm

Thats so weird, I have those same Nike headphones and I love them! They are perfect for working out. I saw that Target had them for $40 and I said no thanks! Instead I got them on amazon.com for $17. Much better deal, and totally worth it. Maybe it’s the cost that made you hate them? I hope the new ones work better for you! :)

yoda November 13, 2009 at 1:17 pm

I love SweetLeaf stevia–what brand do you use? By the way, where can I get pumpkin butter?

Eating Bird Food November 13, 2009 at 6:55 pm

I use the Sweet Leaf liquid sweetener and love it as well! I got my pumpkin butter at Trader Joes but they still it at natural food stores, Whole Foods or if you’re feeling up to it you could make your own. http://www.katheats.com/favorite-foods/homemade-pumpkin-butter/

Emily November 13, 2009 at 3:32 pm

I wear headphones kind of like the ones that you just bought except mine are made of like plastic or flexible material of some form on the part that goes in your ear, so they fit sooo nicely! I am the same way…traditional ear buds (like the ones that come with the ipod) just fall right out of my ears..They just don’t stay put!

mariel shaw November 13, 2009 at 3:33 pm

Is that the rad Farmer John from Food Inc? He was my favorite person in that documentary. Hmm, I should get this book for my mom…

BTW, I really enjoy those Quinoa Flakes! They take awhile to get used to (and you should definitely use some sort of milk to cook them as opposed to water), but they definitely satisfy the oatmeal urges and have lots o’ protein.

Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) November 13, 2009 at 3:58 pm

You know the quinoa flakes had to grow on me as well. Was definitely NOT love at first bite.

Sorry about the headphones. I might try to find some of those Sweet Little Buds as I have the hardest time with headphones. Currently using the ones that came with my iPod, but they will not stay in my ears. LOVE the Bose headphones. My mother-in-law has a set, and I borrow them every time I visit. They cancel out all noise! Need to get my own for the next time I fly…well, as soon as I have $200+ lying around to spend on headphones. Hmm, maybe Santa will bring me a pair.

Have a good weekend!

Katie November 13, 2009 at 5:02 pm

Interesting cookbook!

Um yea my Nike 40 freaking dollar ones only have music coming out of one headphone. The other rusted and died. I was MAAAD. I love the fit, but for 40 dollars you’d think they’d make it past 2 weeks!

And I can’t wait to hear the new dinner.

Tamzin November 13, 2009 at 5:51 pm

Yay to quinoa I’m gluten intolerant and have this as my substitute for oats and I love love love it! So tasty and filling yours looks scrummy x x

Katie November 13, 2009 at 11:51 pm

I WISH so badly I could find ear buds that stay in my ears for more than 3 seconds. I put them in, take ONE step, or turn my head, and the fall out. I have tried a million different types with no luck. Grrr. I just don’t run with music because I can’t find headphones I like.

Katrina (gluten free gidget) November 16, 2009 at 10:36 am

I make muffins using Quinoa Flakes. Here is a link to my recipe:

Ruth November 17, 2009 at 12:36 pm

I always buy the cheapest earbuds available at Target. I’ve resigned myself to the fact that they just don’t make headphones like they used to! For a $15 pair I can usually get about a year of life out of them before one earbud quits working, or the cord breaks because they are just that cheap! I figure $15 a year is a decent investment for tolerable quality music wherever I want it.