What I'm Loving and Quinoa Recipe

by on June 8, 2009

Not sure if I mentioned this or not, but I’m pretty much loving chia seeds right now. Isaac’s a little worried that I might start to sprout green body hair, but I ain’t scured, as demonstrated from the photos below. At one point I ran out of seeds (sad, I know) but the chia fairy came to the rescue and this weekend I’ve been eating big bowls of cookies n cream oat bran, oatmeal, chia, banana, and cinnamon. (What a mouthful, in more ways than one.)

Chia Seed Oatmeal

• 1/4 oat bran
  • 1/4 cup oatmeal
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 1/2 banana
  • 1 tablespoon chia seeds
  • cinnamon to taste

Cook the oatbran, oatmeal, and sliced banana in the water and milk on medium heat by stove top. After about 5 minutes, or when the oats get thick enough for your tastes turn off the stove and mix in about 1 tablespoon of chia seeds. Let the oats sit for about 5 minutes, transfer into a bowl and add the toppings of your choice. I love to use nut butters, granola, nuts, or coconut. Enjoy.

Delicious….

And, here is where all the chia seed goodness is coming from

IMG_0926.JPG

Tiny little grains of really BIG nutrition – Check em out!

As promised here is the recipe for my confetti quinoa is below. The best part about this recipe is you can seriously add any veggie you would like and I’m sure it would still taste lovely. So feel free to have fun with it.
IMG_0922.JPG

Confetti Quinoa

• 1 1/2 cup quinoa **
  • 3 cups water
  • 1/8 cup sundried tomatoes (soaked in water to rehydrate)
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbles
  • 7 leaves of basil (finely chopped)
  • 1/2 yellow bell pepper (chopped)
  • 1/2 red bell pepper (chopped)

Dressing:

• 1/2 tsp. olive oil
  • 11/2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
  • 11/2 tbsp. rice vinegar
  • 11/2 tbsp. water
  • 2 tsp. garlic powder
  • Black Pepper (to taste)
  • Sea Salt (to taste)

**Quinoa from the bulk bins will need to be rinsed and then cooked, I used Bob’s Red Mill and it is already rinsed.

Bring water to a boil, add quinoa and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes or until the water is fully absorbed. After the pot had cooled, I put the quinoa in the fridge overnight, but if you are in a rush, spread it on a cookie sheet and let cool at room temperature for 30 minutes or so (don’t rinse with cool water). Once cooled add the remaining ingredients in with the quinoa and prep the dressing by combining all the ingredients in a small bowl. Pour the dressing on the quinoa mixture and stir it well to coat. Serve right away or store in the fridge until you are ready to eat. Enjoy!

Happy Monday everyone. Make this week a great one.

jenngirl June 8, 2009 at 9:17 am

Chia and Quinoa. Two things that are all over the blogworld, but I have yet to try! I need to jump on the bandwagon!

Meg June 8, 2009 at 9:38 am

Your quinoa looks delicious and so does that creamy oatbran!

glidingcalm June 8, 2009 at 9:43 am

your quinoa is gorgeous!!! and I need to figure out more things to do with my chia seed. I threw them in a smoothie, but didn’t soak them or anything, or make that “gel” everyone has been talking about. hmmmm

Anne K. June 8, 2009 at 9:47 am

I love quinoa, but I haven’t tried chia seeds yet! That breakfast looks so delicious.

Hangry Pants June 8, 2009 at 10:05 am

Yep those breakfasts look wonderful!!!! Thanks for the quinoa recipe too. :D

ksgoodeats June 8, 2009 at 10:48 am

Thanks for the recipe!! Chia is something I haven’t tried yet but I really should!

Green body hair – haha!!

skinnymenny June 8, 2009 at 12:05 pm

Yum, that quinoa recipe looks delicious! I might have to try that….

janetha June 8, 2009 at 12:08 pm

that quinoa photo is awesome! i will have to try my hand at the recipe, sans the raisins. i LOVE feta, so i bet this is great! thanks!

Run Sarah June 8, 2009 at 12:25 pm

Thanks for the wonderful recipe – your quinoa looks great and it’s awesome that you can add any veggies to it!

Sarah June 8, 2009 at 12:47 pm

I am not a huge quinoa fan, but I’m determined to keep trying it because it is so good for me. I’m thinking maybe if I blend it as a hot cereal, I wouldn’t mind that greeny flavor, caviar texture.

Marianne June 8, 2009 at 4:05 pm

I just picked up a chia cereal (also has hemp seeds and buckwheat in it) that I think I’m going to have to try out tomorrow. Perhaps you should do up a hot quinoa & chia breakfast! Talk about super food overload.

PS – how much chia are you adding to your oats, and when do you add it in the cooking process?

Jess June 8, 2009 at 4:52 pm

What would you say that Chia actually tastes like??

Emily June 8, 2009 at 6:38 pm

I’ve got some Chia Seeds coming my way and I am so excited to experriement with them!!

Robin June 8, 2009 at 6:51 pm

That recipe looks great! I’ll have to try it out – I’ve never had Chia Seeds or quinoa before.

Alison June 8, 2009 at 8:19 pm

Great quinoa recipe! It’s such a versatile grain. Hard to go wrong with it.

cara June 8, 2009 at 11:12 pm

i keep seeing this chia seeds everywhere. i am going to have to give them a try at some point! haha

Shannon June 9, 2009 at 10:59 am

LOL i hope we don’t sprout green body hair :) Shrek might start lovin on us if we do!

That meals looks great once again <3

The Weight Loss Debutante August 24, 2009 at 11:00 pm

Do you get the chia seeds delivered?
Have become stuck in an oatmeal rut and this looks like it may help break it

Heather February 26, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Thanks for the Quinoa recipe. I am going to use it in our weight loss cooking class in a few weeks!

Laura Morand Bailey July 21, 2010 at 9:07 am

Can you make Chia Pets out of Chia seeds? Peach Chia Pet Overnight Oatmeal? Just a thought…

Eating Bird Food July 21, 2010 at 9:21 am

You definitely can make chia pets out of chia seeds and who knows, I bet chia “grass” is good for you too. :)

Joey April 8, 2011 at 8:12 am

I had the oat bran for breakfast just this morning. It tasted great! It was very sweet and the cinnamon added a nice variety to the taste. I plan to make the quinoa as our evening salad for dinner tonight, I plan to add some Banana peppers to the mix for a more spicy taste.

Fiona McGeachie Gallot July 30, 2012 at 2:57 pm

I also add chia seeds to my oatmeal in the morning – gives me a bit of a ‘kick start’. I also stir them into my son’s soup.

Celeste August 29, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Maybe this has already been asked but what is the full purpose of chia seeds? Do they fill you up longer or ?

Rebecca April 1, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Hello,
Do you use instant or steel cut oats in the chia seed oatmeal? If you use instant have you tried steel cut?

Thank you!

Brittany Mullins April 1, 2013 at 10:15 pm

I use regular old fashioned rolled oats. You can certainly use steel cut, they just take longer to cook.

eatingbirdfood June 8, 2009 at 9:47 am

I was just thinking that I need to figure out more things to do with them as well… adding this to the LONG to do list :)

eatingbirdfood June 8, 2009 at 9:15 pm

Marianne- I add 1 tablespoon of chia to my oats and I stir them in (whole) right after I turn the stove off. Although, I haven’t seen anything saying that they can’t be cooked so it would probably be fine to put them in while cooking. If I have time to wait, I try to let the oats sit for a few minutes, but usually I don’t and I just end up digging right in.

eatingbirdfood June 8, 2009 at 9:17 pm

Jess- The flavor is very mild and almost non-existent, but because I’ve been adding them in whole (without grinding) they do add texture to my oats.

eatingbirdfood August 25, 2009 at 8:02 am

I’ve bought chia seeds locally, however they can definitely be purchased online and delivered. The two companies I have gotten chia seeds from are Cheela and Nuvitas Naturals. I hope you buy some and it gets you out of your oatmeal rut!