No Longer Friends with the Sweet Potato

by on September 30, 2008

For lunch today I had a baked sweet potato with veggie chili on top:

And it was really good – until about 3 hours later when I felt like a war was going on inside my stomach. I’ve had this problem before several times with baked sweet potatoes, but never with sweet potato fries. Which is a a bad thing because I really like baked sweet potatoes, but also good because I like the sweet potato fries as well. I realize that sweet potatoes are suppose to be easy on the stomach and quite digestible, but perhaps I am allergic because my tum doesn’t do well. I get really bloated and my stomach makes awful gurgling noises. AND, I know it wasn’t the chili that caused this feeling because I had it on Friday night sans the SP and everything was fine. Plus, as I said I’ve had the SP problemo several times in the past – I just didn’t wanted to believe that I shouldn’t eat them any more. I guess it’s pretty clear though now… I should stop eating them.

Oh to more enjoyable things, like HOLIDAYS- Happy Rosh Hashana. I went to my first service tonight with Isaac. We had dinner at a family friend’s house, who just so happens to also be my boss… It was good, but I didn’t get pictures.

magpie September 30, 2008 at 12:12 am

You should try butternut squash fries – I actually like them even more than sweet potato fries. I bake mine with cinnamon, oregano, and salt and top with ketchup (organic). I have the recipe on my blog somewhere :)

VeggieGirl September 30, 2008 at 6:49 am

Oh no!! So sorry about the sweet potato tummy troubles :-( Hang in there!!

Happy new year!

Rose September 30, 2008 at 9:19 am

So sad about the sweet potatoes. I hate when that happens (and it happens to me quite a bit – so I hear you!)

WeightingGame September 30, 2008 at 10:04 am

happy new year!!
I shall celebrate tonight by eating a sweet potato (really – it’s on the menu!) maybe they make a Beano-type product but for yams??

Megan September 30, 2008 at 10:27 am

Do you eat the skin of the potato? I can eat the inner part, but if I eat the skin then I have stomach issues! Sorry you didn’t feel well!

Brittany September 30, 2008 at 10:48 am

Magpie – I love Butternut Squash. I will have to try those!!

Rose – I hate have tummy issues. Do you know what foods tigger your upset stomach?

Megan – I do eat the skin…. maybe I should do an experiment and not eat the skin. Although, if it didn’t work then I would have to go through the entire upset stomach process.

Christie I September 30, 2008 at 11:13 am

Sorry about the sweet potatoes :(

Danielle September 30, 2008 at 12:01 pm

Oh no, so sorry to hear about the sweet potato… it seems he had it coming though. Now all the more reason to eat sweet potato fries more often ;).

Btw, I just read about your recent weight gain post. I totally know what you mean, it’s discouraging, especially when there’s not really one thing that you’re doing “wrong.” I think your added exercise and nutrition pointers look great and it’s sure to fall off in no time. I’m borrowing some myself as well :) we can do it!

Erin September 30, 2008 at 12:18 pm

Oh Mercy! That is horrific! I mean, giving up the baked sweet potato would be a tragedy.
I have a lactose intolerance and cabbage makes me ill, but I eat them anyway. I have this thing where I can’t see past the initial food craving. Is that bad?
How was service? I’ve never been.

HangryPants September 30, 2008 at 1:07 pm

That is so weird! I would blame it on the chili, but that’s just me. :)

arielle September 30, 2008 at 7:01 pm

Can you help me? Your sweet potato fries in that earlier post look so good, and mine always suck. They burn before they get crispy, if that makes any sense. Is it because I’m cutting them too small or something (yours look kind of big, like wedges)? I microwave it first for two minutes or so, then cut them and toss in olive oil, salt, pepper, etc. and bake.

Sorry to rub it in when you can’t eat them anymore. It’s mean, I know.

Brittany September 30, 2008 at 11:33 pm

Danielle- Thanks! We can do it, I agree.

Erin – I think I am the same way with baked sweet potatoes. I always regret it afterward but they are so tasty when I am eating them. The service went well – it was a reformed temple so much of the service was in English rather than Hebrew – which was nice.

Arielle – I think the pic is deceiving. Mine don’t usually turn out to be very crispy either. The ones I had the other day I just baked a potato for 5 minutes in the microwave and then just cut it up into wedges and baked them at 400 for 20 minutes. Basically same method that you use, minus the olive oil.

The one time I did get them crispy I actually dipped them in egg whites before baking. I put a mixture of salt, ginger, and all spice on them and baked them at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Stirred and then 10 more minutes. They were crispy on the outside and done on the inside. Only problem was that the pan was hard to clean.

And, it’s okay- I think I can still eat sweet potatoes fries.. I know it’s weird, but my stomach only hurts when I eat them baked. I don’t know why.

Grounded Fitness October 1, 2008 at 12:20 am

NO WAY! I will not let you blame my beloved sweet potato. it had to be the chili.

actually, i htink im mildly allergic to carrots and everyone always yells at me. but my throat feels funny after i eat them and my stomach gets upset.

too bad sweet potatoes are the most delicious things to grow from the earth.

Kelly Turner

Peggy Kurtz April 4, 2009 at 10:20 pm

I have the same problems with sweet potatoes. Actually, I haven’t tried the light ones, just the dark ones, which I love (commonly called yams). I used to wonder why I got an upset stomach on Thanksgiving, and just attributed it to over-eating. Now I know it’s the sweet potatoes. I must have an allergy, too!! What’s your blood type? Mine’s 0-. Could it be related to blood type?

Linda January 31, 2010 at 8:39 am

I HAD NEVER EATEN SWEET POTATO TIL A FEW MONTHS AGO – 24 HOURS LATER I HAD CHRONIC TUMMY PAINS AND LOTS OF WIND AND URGENT RUNS TO THE LOO! AT THE TIME I THOUGHT IT WAS A BUG. THE NEXT WEEKEND I DID MYSELF SOME SWEET POTATOES WITH MY MEAL BECAUSE I LOVED IT SO MUCH. 24 HOURS LATER SAME RESULT. I DECIDED NOT TO EAT SWEET POTATO ANY MORE!!!…………. TIL FRIDAY WHEN MY DAUGHTER SERVED IT UP WITH A MEAL – I COULDNT RESIST THE LOVELY TASTE SO I HAD A FEW MOUTHFULS. GUESS WHO WAS UP HALF THE NIGHT AND STILL SUFFERING WITH WINDY, ACHU TUMMY!!!!

Em January 10, 2011 at 10:46 pm

I am SO glad you posted this- I have the same problem! You and the comments have helped a lot! I’ll try eating it without the skin, too!

Sheril Joan March 20, 2013 at 1:11 am

Thanks for all the postings. I have gastric upsets each time I eat baked sweet potatoes. Guess I have to stop. Too bad…………such a nice easy thing to make, low in calories, and good for one. It causes an overactive bowel, and some lower stomach pain. Now I realize there are others with the same problem